“good food but terribly noisy and expensive”
Review of Chicha - CLOSED

Chicha
Cuisines: Peruvian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Central
Description: Trendy Peruvian restaurant, in the Central district of Hong Kong.
Reviewed August 22, 2013

The place is terribly noisy. I hate the atmosphere: you really have the feeling right when entering the place, that the owner wants to fill up as many people as possible and get the maximum of your money, especially with their 2 seatings. You can either book from 7 until 9pm, or after 9pm. So don't expect a cosy dinner there !
However we have had some very good plates, especially the ceviches are really good. The Chilean wine was delicious.
Nice place if you are a big group, but very noisy. I would not go back there, because of the noise.

2  Thank Anne E

Environment : 8/10
Service : 8/10
Value-for-money : 7.5/10
Overall rating : 7.9/10

My last visit to Myata didn’t impressed me much on Peruvian cuisine, however, having read some positive feedback on Open Rice, I paid a visit to this Chicha for lunch to sample their food. Needless to say, both the presentation and food quality surpass that of Myata. Would love to visit again for dinner or super some time later.

a) Corvina Ceviche (Raw Sea Bass with Leche de Tigre) – 8/10
Raw seabass, Peruvian huge corn and carrot were marinated in Leche de Tigre (lime juice, garlic and herbs) to make an appetizing dish.

b) Causa de Camarones (Prawns with Whipped Potato) – 8/10
Spicy prawns resting on scoops of smashed potato and Huancaina sauce made from Peru chili and cheese. The dish was refreshing with drips of lemon juice and the deep fried chili leaves added a layer of crispy texture.

c) Pollo a la Brasa (Roast Chicken and Aromatic Rice) – 8/10
The roast chicken was not dried for the breast portion, however, the tomato diced was a bit too sour for the rice.

d) Arroz con Marisco (Seafood Rice) – 7.5/10
Rice was fried with clams, scallop and squid, and topped with sea urchin sauce. Although the seafood was a bit dried, the overall flavour was satisfying.

e) Portobello Mushroom and Rice – 7.5/10
Mushroom fried rice with huge corn was a bit too sweet for me.

f) Picarones (Peruvian Donut and Manjar Blanco Ice cream) – 8/10
The scoop of milk ice cream was very smooth and went well with the deep fried crispy donut.

Q : When will I go again?
A : With a bunch of friends for dinner and drinks.

Q: What will I next order?
A : Some large plates to share such as the suckling pig and roast duck.

08.2013

Reviewed August 8, 2013 via mobile

An outstanding restaurant offering great and tasty peruvian dishes in a cool environment. Decor is modern, comfortable and stylish and the staff are attentive,professional and very friendly.

We have zero knowledge about peruvian food so we're very lucky when a staff approached us and asked if we need some help, and the lady offered to take care of our order.
I was really impressed with the food. we started with some bite-sized dishes which is the majority of the menu. And each one of them made us really happy.

It was an amazing experience,totally new and totally delicious. I will definitely recommend this place to my friends and to all the people who wants to try a new cuisine.

i will be back!!!

Reviewed August 4, 2013

Chicha in various cities in Peru was all about the food - this I found was lacking in HK, which is all about atmosphere ( hip but noisy ). Tables are too close, too bar hall like. With Roger Room ( peruvian bar ) across, I hope they try going back to basics.

Starters were good but not great. Cerviche & tiradito were lacking the punch - aji in the latter was almost non existent. The crab claws were the only outstanding dish we had.

The seafood paella was way too mushy. Missing from their menu was Cuy

2  Thank AndyChanKL
Reviewed August 4, 2013

I have been to Chicha many times and it gets better and better every time I go back. My friend and I paid a visit last weekend careless of the storm and heavy rain as we thought the place might not have being busy... Wrong thought, it was around 9pm and the place was packed.
We had to wait at the bar before we got seated there was no room in the restaurant. Their Pisco sour was a great way to make the wait not an agony.
Once we got seated the food didn't leave up to the expectation: delicious as always!!
Ceviche, pork sliders, oh my cod are the reasons I come back for.
The staff is also very efficient, dishes come out of the kitchen fast and well executed and waiters work hard for their tips with good recommendations.
Sitting at the counter close to the actions in the kitchen we chatted a bit with the Chef which proudly told us the Restaurant got voted as one of the 5 best restaurant outside from a main News paper in Peru... I am not surprised, well deserved.

Another great night at one of our favorite spot in town. keep it up Chicha Team!!

1  Thank Vaghezza