“Peruvian hype!”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Chicha - CLOSED

Chicha
Good for: Bar scene, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Central
Description: Trendy Peruvian restaurant, in the Central district of Hong Kong.
“Peruvian hype!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2013

An almost deafening, dark (dim lights such that had to use my cell phone light to read the menu) and pricey experience of having ceviche of prawns, scallops and calamari .. surely a one time trip.

Hong Kong, China
“Great restaurant - but i wish it wasnt as noisy”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2013

Very impressed with this place - HK is really picking up its game in the restaurant stakes and this place is no exception. We tried a range of dishes and all very good - the staff were happy to give their recommendations as well and nothing disappointed. My only gripe is the noise - we went to the early seating and it was very noisy, i can only imagine how loud it would be at the later seating when people have had a lot to drink!

May we will try lunch next time, hopefully it wont be so loud!

Hong Kong, China
“Great waiter, good food, average attitude”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2013

I visited Chicha for the first time just after it opened, when it was really buzzing, great food, excited staff and a vibrant atmosphere. I had a very different experience last night, and I don't know if it the lady with the reservations book was just having a bad day, or if perhaps Chicha is having trouble living up to the hype that surrounded it at the beginning, especially with Brickhouse and Mayta having opened just down the road...

I telephoned to make a very early (6:30pm) reservation for 2 people and was texted back to say that they would let me know later. Nobody ever got back to me (strike one). Then later I telephoned again and was told that 6:30 was so early that I could eat in the bar area as a walk-in. When we arrived, there were 4 or 5 people in the main dining area but nobody at all in the bar area. The woman on the door had a record of my telephone number but still said that we couldn't sit in the (completely empty) bar area because it was fully booked, so we should sit in the Roger Room, which is across the street. (strike 2) I did explain that we had to leave before 7:30 but she still hurried us over the road.

The staff in the Roger Room were very friendly and helped suggest wines & food options, and the food itself was fine. We spent the entire meal opposite the empty (and I mean empty, not even 1 person) area that we had been turned away from - the area that was apparently so fully booked there was no way we could squeeze in.

I won't be making an effort to go to Chicha again. When there are so many new restaurants serving a similar kind of food it's things like the service that make all the difference and, although the Roger Room staff were good, we were made to feel so unwelcome by the woman on the door that she spoiled the whole experience.

1 Thank MissLambkins
Hong Kong, China
“Great Peruvian food! But way too noisy!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2013

We went to Chicha twice - once last month and again recently. Both times the food were excellent and so was our server. Their calamari, chicken, black cod, beef were all deliciously cooked - the high standards were consistent.

But if you are looking for a quiet place to enjoy your meal, then Chicha is not quite the place. If you can get a seat by the big window nearer to the bar instead of the wooden tables in the main section of the restaurant, you may be able to hear yourself speak!

In spite of the noise, I will go back for the great food. Also because I like the way they will match the pieces of food to the number of people at the table, when necessary, for sharing.

Chicha is not cheap, but it is very good value for your money! Expect to pay about HK$700 per person for dinner including a pre-dinner drink, a glass of wine and sharing 5 different dishes (entrées and mains) and a dessert.

P.S. It would perfect if Chicha carries Hendricks and larger bottles of still water!

• Visited April 2013
“Inconsistent?”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2013

Was our first time trying Peruvian cuisine and we were really excited to try something new (also means that I cannot comment on authenticity of the food).

We ordered a bunch of tapas to share and started off promisingly with a crispy fried chicken with a nice spicy dipping sauce, followed by fish, chicken and pork mini burgers (fish ones were good). However, the mushroom and corn dish was nothing to write home about and the tenderloin, chicken and cod skewers were so bad that we had to leave them after just a bite each. The friends we'd gone with (who happen to really like Peruvian food after their trip to Peru) said that the quality of food was much worse compared to their first visit to Chicha, which they had really enjoyed.

The restaurant seems popular, and all the tables crammed into a small space were occupied. Too noisy for a relaxed dinner, according to me. Service was attentive... But when we complained about the untouched skewers (especially the beef), they just explained that that was how it was supposed to taste.

Overall, the food was quite average... Not a place we'd be coming back to. Many other better restaurants to chose from in Soho (though not for Peruvian food).

Visited April 2013