“Auberge Discovery Bay”

Auberge Discovery Bay Hong Kong
Ranked #83 of 727 Hotels in Hong Kong
Reviewed June 29, 2013

Firstly a big thank you to Mr.Kennedy & team at Auberge Discovery Bay who made our dinner party a huge success on 29th June. Attention to detail at this particular event was immaculate.

The coral function room on the 1st floor was breathtaking with an outer area to view the fire works and have cocktails while overlooking the ocean. A great room with warm ambience and style.

The table setting was elegantly decorated- the theme "Corals". All our guests were amazed with how attentive the team of people who served us during the night and I should not forget to mention Ms.Terressa who always had a smile and made sure everything went well as regards to filling up the drinks to attending to all individual needs of each guests.

Food was par excellent. Hats off to Chef Samuel who prepared the dinner for us. Thank you for a lovely and beautifully presented dinner!

As for myself, I will definitely recommend this for our company functions as well as the Coral room can accommodate around 30 guests and I know most of my other guests will be considering doing that as well after experiencing wonderful service and food.

Thank you again Mr.Kennedy and team for a lovely job well done!

Most definitely will be one of my leisure places to visit with family and friends.

Cheers!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Cada R
Jaclyn S, Guest Relations Manager at Auberge Discovery Bay Hong Kong, responded to this reviewResponded July 2, 2013

Dear Cada R

Thank you so much for your wonderful feedback on us and we are so happy to know that you enjoyed the dinner party in Coral!

It’s really great and encouraging to read your comments on our team members and services, which are very much appreciated.

We would like to thanks again for your lovely feedback and it would be our pleasure to welcome you again to Auberge Discovery Bay Hong Kong for another fantastic experience.

Reviewed June 28, 2013

I live in Discovery bay and decided to book an Ocean View room for a night away from the kids for myself and my husband. I checked in at 5.30pm and had no problem, although no one offered to show me to my room. Unfortunately I had been given a room on the end of the building which viewed the college/mountains but very little ocean. After calling down to complain I was able to change rooms to a full ocean view but had to wait 25 minutes for it to happen. The room was nice, clean and with a great view so i was pleased, I also loved the sunken bath.
I went straight to the pool which was a strange experience, the pool itself is nice enough but the staff there were completely useless. I had to walk over to staff to ask for a towel only to be told there were no clean one available! I was I formed very casually that some would come in 10 minutes so I dropped my bag on a lounger and went for a swim. I watched the new towels arrive but not one of the 4 staff members chatting with each other bothered to deliver one to my lounger and when I went to collect one I was barked at for my room number and told I must return the towel when I'd finished.......I'm pretty sure other 4 star hotels (especially with 4 staff members doing nothing) usually collect towels once discarded from the loungers! I then sat on the lounger with the menu hoping someone would come and ask if I wanted to order anything.....no such luck, once again I had to go to the staff and ask, the female staff member seemed very put out that I was bothering her....her conversation with the other staff obviously more important than the guests! Then had to wait 25 minutes for a gin and tonic. Overall the pool staff need a lesson in customer service, and how to smile!
We didn't eat in the hotel, we popped to Jaspas in The north plaza instead but we did have the buffet breakfast which I was pretty impressed with, it had everything I needed and the staff were helpful and attentive. Overall the stay was good and I would definitely go back for another quick get away!

• Stayed: June 2013
Jaclyn S, Guest Relations Manager at Auberge Discovery Bay Hong Kong, responded to this reviewResponded July 4, 2013

Dear Emma H

Thank you for choosing to stay at Auberge Discovery Bay Hong Kong and taking your time to share your experience with us.

I’m glad to read that you generally enjoyed your stay, in particular to our Ocean Front Room and amazing ocean views. However I’m sorry that you were not very much satisfied with our services. Your comments on such aspect are well noted and we will follow this up.

Thanks again for your feedback which are very much appreciated. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed June 25, 2013

This hotel is in a fantastic location - great views, quiet and the hotel building itself isn't too bad. The staff and management are another story altogether. Firstly we booked airport transfers - that didn't happen, I had to call them up to send someone over. Secondly the food left a great deal to be desired. The meat (steaks) was most definitely not fresh - as in gone past its cook and eat by date, room service ... Waiter forget items, confuses order and comes up with no pens to sign the receipt then ask me for a pen! A la carte in the Cafe de Mer - miserable, barely any choice - I ordered a main dish rack of lamb and vegetables and got two cutlets and a small tablespoon of quinoa for a very high price!!! Thirdly the swimming pool had vomit in it ( yes someone got sick and threw up in the pool) the pool attendants didn't even inform us about it (although they were sure to take our room key in exchange for towels under threat of not returning the key if we didn't bring back all the towels) got in knee high in the water only for other swimmers to notify us that someone had been sick prior to our arrival!!! The children's centre is closed mon - thurs except for school holidays (go figure!!) and to top it all off after I checked out, my credit card was used without my permission by the hotel! Breakfast buffet - i was asked to sign a bill for breakfast even though we had payed a bed and breakfast rate - then i was told it would be cancelled out anyway but i still had to sign the bill??????? I have no words to describe this horror - never again .... Not worth it at all.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel!
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
13  Thank Yolanda M
Jaclyn S, Guest Relations Manager at Auberge Discovery Bay Hong Kong, responded to this reviewResponded June 28, 2013

Dear Yolanda M

First of all, thank you very much for choosing to stay at Auberge Discovery Bay Hong Kong and taking your time to share with us your feedback on your recent stay.

I’m deeply sorry and disappointed to hear that you were not satisfied in many aspects, particularly the services we provide. Your detailed comments are well noted and we will follow up the matters with respective team members.

Thanks again for your comments and we really appreciate that. We hope you would consider Auberge Discovery Bay Hong Kong as a getaway option again and give us the chance to win back your confidence.

Reviewed June 25, 2013

We are Hong Kongers who wanted a relaxing get-away without hassles of airport and crowds. Auberge in Discovery Bay fulfilled this perfectly. Wonderful views, great staff (excellent English!), simple and tastefully appointed rooms with everything you need, and a glorious fragrance greeting you each time you enter the hotel lobby. Lovely! We had a suite with kitchenette and ocean view...enjoyed quiet breakfasts overlooking the bay, with HK Island and Kowloon in the distance. The pool is beautiful and has the same view. The staff could not be nicer or more friendly and helpful. We'll definitely be going again.
We only hope this lovely refuge does not become busy busy busy with so many activities that it loses the quiet and lovely charm of the surrounding area.

Room Tip: Ocean view!! The kitchenette is also worth it to enjoy lovely meals in your room. There is an exce...
1  Thank hongkongwanderer

Dear hongkongwanderer

I’m extremely happy to read your wonderful comments on Auberge Discovery Bay Hong Kong. We really appreciate that you taking time out to share your views with us.

It’s great that you enjoyed your stay with us and we have met your expectations in many aspects.
Thanks very much for being our guest and we very much look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Reviewed June 25, 2013

This is a nice hotel with good facilities and a helpful staff. The rooms are clean and comfortable. It is aso near restaurants. The public bus from the airport drops you off directly ouside the hotel.

The hotel would benefit from using its location by having seating for their restaurant outside overlooking the sea, and maybe organising activities such as kayaking.

If you want to stay in Discovery Bay, then this is a good (and only) choice.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank jfpower

Dear jfpower

Thanks for sharing with us your views and they are very much appreciated.

I’m happy that we have generally met your expectations and you had a lovely stay with us.
Thanks for staying at Auberge Discovery Bay Hong Kong and it’d be our pleasure to welcome you and your family back again soon.

Reviewed June 24, 2013

The hotel is very new when we arrived, however it has stunning views over the ocean looking towards Hong Kong island, it was the best weather they had experienced in along time so we were very lucky to have such clarity.

For an Asian hotel the lobby is the weakest area, we are use to arrival staff around the clock, anyone can walk into the lobby and go unnoticed or ignored.

Rooms thou are small but compact and the Ocean View rooms are wonderful if you are lucky to experience no pollution. Aircon however was noisy we felt.

The breakfast is quite poor, however the staff are attentive and you do get a proper cup of British tea.

When we arrived the pool was not finished which we felt was a shame and we had booked our stay weeks in advance and they could of informed us.

Anyhow it's an ok hotel few teething problems like lobby staff and lack of transport from airport or to the DB ferry, not sure the mainland Chinese will tolerate being told to walk to the bus stop!

Dear PicklesAsia

Thank you for choosing to stay at Auberge Discovery Bay Hong Kong and sharing with us your experience on your recent stay.

I’m delighted to read that you enjoyed the stunning ocean views and beautiful weather during your visit. However, I’m sorry that we did not communicate with you well on the transportation prior to your arrival. For your information, there are regular buses running from the airport and the DB ferry pier directly to the hotel.

Your comments on our team members and buffet breakfast are well noted.

Thanks for your constructive feedback again. For your information, our swimming pool is now open and we hope to welcome you back gain for a more enjoyable experience with us.

Reviewed June 23, 2013

We went to Auberge hotel to celebrate my girlfriend's birthday and the night is excellent. They offer some special birthday gift for us and arranged late check-out. The staff are friendly and very helpful, but they seems appear to be poorly trained. No one will open the hotel door for you. Lovely break from the city and strongly recommend..

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Jaclyn S, Guest Relations Manager at Auberge Discovery Bay Hong Kong, responded to this reviewResponded June 25, 2013

Dear Kelvin T

Happy Belated Birthday to your girlfriend and thanks for choosing to stay at Auberge Discovery Bay Hong Kong.

I’m so happy to hear that you and your girlfriend had a wonderful time with us.

Thank you for sharing your feedback on your stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you again soon.