“Great hotel at reasonable price in an interesting location”

Auberge Discovery Bay Hong Kong
Ranked #86 of 721 Hotels in Hong Kong
Reviewed April 26, 2013

2 stays : 20-21 April 2013 + 24-25 April 2013

My experience with ADB started with a very wrong feeling with some non-sense exchange of email with the reservation staff regarding the price of extra-bed. Pls note that the price of an extra bed is minimum 328 HKD but if you take an extra-bed with breakfast (room plan - special offer, ...) the price will be raise to 550 HKD (net). Information that the resa staff may (or will) fail to clarify from the first exchange.
The resa staff also failed to give me the right information about how to reach the hotel using the airport paying shuttle bus. Pls note that to reache easily ADB, you must use bus DB02A and not DB02R. The bus stops at 50 meter from the hotel.

Despite all of that, my stay in the hotel was nice and enjoyable. The reception staff (especially male staff) were very welcoming and helpful in all circumstances.
During my first stay, I booked a sea view room (room only) and paid directly to the hotel, I believe something like 1400 HKD including extra bed.

The room was of a big size for HK with 5 star furnitures and amenities and a really great bathroom and a terrace. I got room 1217 which is a corner room with view on the mountain, the beach and the sea. Pls note that all rooms come with a good sofa which can be used as a bed for the youngster (providing the hotel is willing to gice bedsheet/blanket and pillow).

For my second stay, I have booked a mountain view room and got the 1207. The room is smaller but still with all 5 star necessities. No terrace and smaller bathroom. Pls note that 1207 has a glass separation between bedroom and bathroom and the privacy is not ensured at all, especially if you use the bathroom in the evening/night when you need to lit up room and bathroom. This is a big problem to me !!!

In none of my stay I used the recreation facilities like swimming pool or gym but from my window I haven't see any body enjoying the pool.

Pls note that you can organise your own check-out through the TV system but this procedure will not provide you with the necessary paper/receipt your company may required to justify the expenses (especially the credit card ticket/receipt). I would not do it again especially if travelling on business.

Around the hotel (DB north) there is all you need from restaurant to supermarket. Frequent free and paying shuttle to the DB Plaza from where ferry leave/arrive every 30 min to/from town (central pier N° 3)

To sum up my impression :

1/ good hotel with nice/big room and helpful staff (as long as you don't deal with the resa team)
2/ book through agoda.com, no surprise about the prices and you get the point reward
3/ buy an octopus card upon arrival at airport and fill it up with 500 HKD
4/ Use shuttle but DB02A to reach the hotel. Pls note no taxi in DB, a miserable decision !
5/ Enjoy Lantau and DB facilities.
6/ Use hotel shuttle or ferry to reach town

PS : I like the location out of CDB but it's personal, single/couple may prefer to stay downtown.

Room Tip: the seaview room is much better than mountain view and the breakfast package is ok as long as you do...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Anne B, General Manager at Auberge Discovery Bay Hong Kong, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2013

Dear LorenzoDelmondo

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Auberge Discovery Bay Hong Kong recently and for sharing your views on tripadvisor. Your comments are very constructive and help us enormously to improve our services.

I’m delighted that overall you enjoyed your stay as well as the location. I am sorry to hear about the issues you experienced when making your reservation. We will follow up on this and ensure that we take corrective actions in relation to the points you have raised.

Your warm comments concerning our Front Office team were great to see and I have passed them on. I’m so happy to learn that that they were able to help you during your stay.

Thank you once again for your patience during your stay with us and we hope to welcome you and your family again soon.

There are newer reviews for Auberge Discovery Bay Hong Kong

Reviewed April 24, 2013

We stayed last week at the brand new Auberge Hotel on Discovery Bay, Hong Kong. There was a promotional rate going to attract new guests that drew us to this hotel. Upon arrival, we discovered that there was no taxi service to or from the hotel. This was problematic to say the least, because this Hotel is not close to anything a tourist would want to do, unless you plan on playing some golf at Discovery Bay. Even the Disney property is a bus ride away from this lonely hotel on the water.
To get to this isolated hotel coming from the airport, is a minimum of 2 bus rides with a transfer involved, which takes at least an hour and a half to complete, if you know what you're doing. (we got a quick education). If you want to leave the property to go to Victoria Harbor, you must ride a public bus to the Star Ferry and then cross the bay, which takes about 45 minutes to complete. (another quick education).
Upon check-in the Hotel advised us of no Taxi service and that they did have a hotel shuttle, which defined in their room materials stated that they offered shuttle service. Well that was partially true, because they do, but only 2 times a day at designated times, not upon request of their guests.
When we asked the Concierge for the public bus schedule, so we could plan our travel times to get to and from, he didn't know what the schedule was and we had to obtain the schedule from the front check-in desk. He wasn't concerned at all that we were inconvenienced by this.
The management staff were open to our critique of the transit limitations for this new state of the art posh hotel, so they upgraded our room, for our disappointment by the lack of easy methods to be transported to and from the City. Their response was that Politics had played a role in the lack of Taxi service due to zoning regulations in Discovery Bay, but you'd think the investors in this beautifully appointed complex on the water, would have figured this out before building their hotel in no-man's-land??
Our suggestions to readers of this review are-if you have family you are visiting in Discovery Bay, or want to play some golf, then this hotel will probably work just fine. Otherwise, check with this hotel prior to booking to see if Taxi service has been added to this area, or forget it. You will be spending at least 2 hours a day to get to and from the City of Hong Kong for activities, making this Hotel absoutely the wrong place to stay.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank applelady28

Dear applelady28

Thanks for choosing to stay at Auberge Discovery Bay Hong Kong recently and for your time in sharing your experience on Tripadvisor. The feedback from our guests continuously helps us to improve and create a memorable experience each time they stay with us.

I am sorry to hear that you were not completely satisfied with the transportation to and from the hotel. Discovery Bay is quite unique in that there are no taxis operating within this island. I was so sorry to read that this was not clearly communicated to you prior to your arrival. Additionally, I was also sorry to learn that our Concierge Team did not assist you with your questions regarding transportation. We are reviewing our internal and external communications to ensure that we effectively share all information regarding transportation prior and during arrival.

For your information, Hong Kong Central is a 25 minute ferry ride from Discovery Bay so the quickest way to Central is via ferry.

Thanks once again for sharing your very constructive comments. If there is anything else you’d like to comment on, please do email me at enquiry@aubergediscoverybay.com. We hope to welcome you once more at the hotel soon.

Reviewed April 12, 2013

Great brand new hotel, but VERY disappointing that the facilities advertised are not yet available. After a hard week of business in CHina, I was looking forward to a relaxing weekend. The rooms are great, restaurants fine, but NO SPA and NO SWIMMING POOL. Service is also patchy - I saked for my room to be made up at 10:45 so I could do some work, and was told that it would be taken care of "immediately". As I write this, (12 noon) still no sign of the room staff.
To summarise - this will be a VERY NICE Hotel, but don't book to come here till it's fully open! I believe the forecast is July 2013

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank Nigel C
Anne B, General Manager at Auberge Discovery Bay Hong Kong, responded to this reviewResponded April 18, 2013

Dear Nigel C,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Auberge Discovery Bay Hong Kong recently and for sharing your comments on tripadvisor.

I was extremely disappointed to read that we did not meet all your expectations during your stay, in particular with regards to housekeeping. My Executive Housekeeper will review this matter and take corrective actions to ensure it is not repeated again. Additionally, I was so sorry to read that you missed the opening of Spa Botanica as it is now very much open. The opening of our swimming pool is in line with the seasons in Hong Kong, so we are planning to open this up very soon when the weather is a little warmer.

Looking forward to welcoming you back when you next choose to stay with us. In the meantime, please do contact us at anytime on enquiry@aubergediscoverybay.com if we maybe of any further assistance to you.

Once again, thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments and feedback on tripadvisor, we really do appreciate them very much.

Reviewed April 11, 2013

Family member visiting Hong Kong and need a hotel room. . Selected this hotel because of it's proxmity to home. Booked a twin bed room so got a chance of experiencing this new hotel which took almost 4 years to build. On the website they said it is possible to get a 3PM late check-out. But we could negotiate a 1PM check-out only.The room is of reasonable size but the beds are very small.. Cant even share with a 2 year old kid. Breakfast is included in the room rate (original price if remember correctly is approx HKD170 each person). Choice of food items not great but acceptable. Did not try their cafe for lunch or dinner but had a look at the menu. Everything appears to be quite expensive. Staffs are firendly and helpful. The bellboy helped bringing the suitcase to the bus stop although it is only a 2 minutes walk. There are few minor issues that needs to be improved though:
1) Given a choice of English or Chinese newspaper to be delivered to the room. Told them Chinese newspaper. Got Chinese first day but English second day
2) Shampoo used and the replacement was conditioner. So two bottles of conditioner and no shampoo the second day
3) The glass panel above the fridge totally covered with dust
4) There was no bed made-up. dont know whether it is the hotel policy or just the negligence
of the hotel staff
5) The PCCW mobile phone connection inside the room is poor. Not sure of other mobile phone providers

2  Thank limeh0g

Dear limehog

Thank you for choosing Auberge Discovery Bay Hong Kong for your visiting family member. I very much appreciate your detailed post regarding your stay on tripadvisor.

We apologise that you encountered some problems during your stay. In relation to the late check out (subject to availability), the availability of our guest rooms were limited upon your departure, therefore we were only able to offer 1pm. We do provide cots for children free-of-charge and I am sorry if this was not communicated to you upon check-in. As this would have given you some extra comfort in your bed. Café bord de Mer will be unveiling its weekend buffets and brunches soon, in the meantime, the a la carte menu is available together with sumptuous daily specials. Your comments on the housekeeping service are very well noted and we are following these up closely with the teams involved.

I was delighted to read that my team were friendly and helpful during your stay as we are all totally dedicated to making our guest experiences truly memorable.

We hope you will consider Auberge Discovery Bay Hong Kong as an option once more for your family members and yourself.

Reviewed April 9, 2013

We had the intro offer package of HK$1,090 plus tax. We enjoy our stay here but I didn't feel anything special. The place is nice and clean and it smells like paint but its understandable cause they just open a month ago. The staff still trying to find their footing and what they supposed to do. Our check in was not handled efficiently so we have to wait for 30 mins at the lobby, Good thing they provide a welcome drink so we went ahead to the coffee shop while waiting. The room is not so huge for standard room and it look crowded with a big sofa set inside. Bed is comfy, amenities are ample. Huge shower rooms and nice comfort room.

Staff are pretty helpful but annoyingly eager to serve you. I guess cause they are not busy during weekdays and they don't really have anything to do.

Spa and Fitness Center look great. Gym staff are friendly & helpful. The Spa is huge with 10 rooms. Its a bit pricey though. The Spa manager is very knowledgeable of the treatments and products.

The selection of buffet breakfast is not a lot but its enough. Maybe because I've seen other hotels with many variations, But I could complain.

My only negative comment is there isn't a lot of selections in Café de Mer.

1  Thank ryubaby

Dear ryubaby

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Auberge Discovery Bay Hong Kong recently and for sharing your views on tripadvisor. Your comments are invaluable to us particularly during our soft-opening phase. Your very detailed review helps the entire team here at Auberge Discovery Bay Hong Kong to understand thoroughly our guest experience as we strive to improve our efforts across all aspects.

Your positive comments on our Spa and Fitness Centre are much appreciated and have been passed onto Ada and JP who are behind all the hard work to ensure a great wellness guest experience.

We have extended our breakfast buffet since your stay to enhance the variety and also the range of hot and cold dishes. So I do hope that when you next choose to stay with us you enjoy your breakfast to a greater degree. Additionally, we will be launching weekend evening buffets and brunches soon, so I trust this will give an added dimension to our dining experience.

Thank you once again for your patience during your stay with us amidst our soft-opening phase and also for your feedback.

We hope to welcome you back to stay with us in the not too distant future.

Reviewed April 4, 2013

It is a brand new hotel in discovery bay, I take this 1-day local getaway as a trial for my family with 2 little kids for future distant travel. The staying experience was really great! I particularly satisfied with the staff here they are well trained and helpful. I got a seaview room with a spectacular seaview which is out of my expectation. The hotel provided a baby bed for my daughter who fit in so well and comfortable. The room is spacious despite one extra baby bed and the extra large sofa. The room is well equipped with all the necessary facilities. I enjoyed the breakfast the next day of stay, buffet with plenty of choice of good taste.

Despite the goods, some of the minors I would like to point out: (1) still cigarette smell in the room and at the lift lobby despite the room is non-smoking fit in smoke detector; (2) maybe the hotel is just renovated, decorating raws and stones are easily seen in the area outside the window and around the hotel; (3) travel is a great problem, especially on Sat / Sun / Public Holiday --> there is no direct bus running between Sunny Bay and the Hotel! I was not reminded on that, neither on the website or when I enquire the hotel for the travel; I just knew there will be public bus available (BUT DUNNO ONLY DURING WEEKDAY!); When I leave the hotel the next early morning (Public Holiday) for work, I wait at the bus stop for 30min then someone next to me reminded me that I have to walk through the tunnel to the other side to get to the bus of another route! Maybe I am too ignorant on reading the bus time table which is quite confusing. To be honest, it is not the problem of the hotel, but the bus service; quite difficult to understand how the hotel recruits local people to stay hotel for weekends but the 1 of the 2 direct bus routes available does not provide any service during weekends and holiday from Sunny Bay!! You know private cars and taxi are not allowed to go Discovery Bay, the ferry just arrived at the pier and guests have to take another bus to arrive hotel, no hotel shuttles available by the time being, as a person staying in Kln or NT, it will be a waste of time to travel to Tung Chung to get the bus back to Discovery Bay! I hope the hotel can reflect this comment to the bus service company otherwise it will be a great hindrance to attract locals.

2  Thank RW_12234

Dear RW_12234

Thanks for choosing to stay at Auberge Discovery Bay Hong Kong recently and for the overall positive comments posted on tripadvisor. It really does make our day each time we receive appreciative feedback from our guests!

Your detailed observations regarding your stay are very important to us especially during our soft-opening phase. The photos you shared were extremely useful too, many thanks. We are in the process of also checking each point you raised and taking corrective actions. I was sorry to hear about the difficulties you encountered regarding the bus schedule. We are in the process of reviewing all information regarding transportation to ensure that we communicate effectively. Additionally, we have started to operate a complimentary hotel shuttle bus service which is available for our staying guests. This service currently serves HK Island, Kowloon and Tung Chung. So I do help this assists you when you next choose to stay with us.

Thanks once again for sharing your very constructive comments which are vital in helping us to improve our services to you.

We hope to see you and your family at the hotel again soon.

Reviewed March 29, 2013

A brand new hotel with a brand-new-hotel smell. The staff were really friendly (the people on reception were great), and the breakfast was excellent value. It is convenient enough for HK airport, as well as links to Penny Bay on the MTR. I received a larger-than-booked room, and it was huge, and also came with the biggest hotel bath I have ever seen - you could have easily fit 6 people in it! All in all, I was happy with the place.

• Stayed: March 2013

Dear Michael L

The entire team at Auberge Discovery Bay Hong Kong has worked so hard in getting the hotel ready for the soft-opening in March. We are all still learning and such warm comments posted by you on tripadvisor are hugely rewarding.

It would be a pleasure to welcome you back at Auberge Discovery Bay Hong Kong again and thank you once again for your wonderful feedback, particularly as they concerned our team.