“Clean, but small rooms”

Best Western Hotel Harbour View Hong Kong
Ranked #414 of 721 Hotels in Hong Kong
Reviewed April 2, 2014

On arrival, we received an "upgrade", that turned out to be just a swap from "mountain view" to "harbour view". The other room couldn't possibly be any smaller. The view could have been god, but the windows was so dirty, you could hardly see anything through them.
The room was so small, that there wasn't enough floor to open two suitcases, we had to put the suitcases on the bed to be able to open it.
The bathroom was accordingly small, so small in fact, that the sink was outside, and in the bedroom itself.
The room had a carpet, and everything seemed quite dark and gloomy.
As mentioned by others, the beds was very firm, I had a hard time sleeping at all. Should have asked for extra padding...
The location is ok, but you have to expect a 15-20 min walk to get to Central. But the taxies are quite cheap, as long as the driver understands you, it's ok.
The breakfast wasn't a winner either, just very basic, and the few things they had, was just 'ok', not 'good'.
One last, annoying, thing: the elevators are extremely slow, and if you arrive at the hotel at the same time as a bus of others, you even have to stand in a huge line.
If all you need is a no-frill place to sleep, and can stand the firm beds, and don't want breakfast, this hotel might be the thing for you. If you want something more out of your stay, go somewhere else.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Torunn H
There are newer reviews for Best Western Hotel Harbour View Hong Kong

Reviewed March 31, 2014

My Partner and I stayed at this hotel for two nights. I really appreciated reading a review on here that said you could ask for extra padding for the bed. It was needed. We booked a superior room, which is quite a poor description as these are the basic rooms. So it is not superior to anything. Anyway, nice clean hotel. The rooms have been creatively kitted out. Your suitcase goes under the bed so it is out of the way. No wardrobe as such. Just lots of shelves and if you ask for hangers then you can use the coat hooks to hang these on. The staff were very efficient. Breakfast was ample but basic. Bread that could be toasted but no other types of Pastries. Do expect to force your way into the lifts and even if you are first in line to get in a lift, there is no such thing as queueing, you will be pushed out of the way.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 19, 2014

My wife and I have just arrived back home after spending a few nights in the Best Western Harbour View in Hong Kong. This hotel was very clean, the staff were helpful & friendly and the free shuttle bus was very handy.

The room was very small and the bed was hard, but the view overlooking the harbour was great. We were on the 32nd floor. The hotel has free wifi which I think all hotels should have these days.

We knew when we booked this hotel that it wasn't in the centre of the tourist area. We stayed here as it was close to HK University, my wife was a speaker at a two day conference there. Though we weren't in the tourist area, it wasn't far to Hollywood Road and Soho. As I love to take photos, I found the neighbourhood around the hotel to be very interesting with all the locals selling their produce. The streets were really clean and I felt safe to walk around. Safer than in my own city.

Room Tip: Choose a harbour view room.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Simon P
Reviewed March 19, 2014

IF YOU MUST: This property is across the street from where I live. It's new (I watched it being built) but despite that it has an old (not good way) feeling about it.

The property caters to Chinese middle class bus tourists traveling on a budget and not a generally well heeled crowd. Expect pushing/shoving, aggressive behavior and ill gotten manners (from the guests). Rooms are small and ill designed, bathrooms of equal poor design.

This is simply put a bad choice for a Western traveler. I'd recommend the nearby ibis hotel a bit more USD $10-15 per night but a much better experience. Leave this hotel for the Chinese tour groups.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
5  Thank roadwarrior30
Reviewed March 10, 2014

We try to stay in Best Western when we can, this was the worst hotel ever, no wardrobe no hanging rails, no drawers , toilet not working and stinking, the smallest room I have ever seen, you can only get in the bed from one side. No bar , unmentionable breakfast I have seen better back packers digs. Whatever the price was it was not worth it..

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank allen w
Reviewed March 5, 2014

Customer service was very good, but not excellent. Breakfast was cheaply done, with no bells ans whistles for food. Rooms were supremely cramped, even for Hong Kong. We had prebooked a harbour view. When my daughter and I got there they had given it away while not refunding the extra money we paid for that honor. For the price though it is reasonable. Location is a 10$ taxi ride to downtown.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed March 4, 2014

My Bud and me stayed in Hong Kong at this hotel for 2 nights. It was a good hotel. If you are looking for American standard, this is not the hotel. For two guys who just wanted to get out and see the sites, it was just fine. The cost for Hong Kong was reasonable. If you don't mind walking, the piers were close enough, but I recommend taking a taxi. We both got king size beds and was quite pleased with the sleeping space. Free internet was very nice and very reliable. The staff was quite friendly, all of them. We got breakfast which I am happy about, since it was convenient, fairly well prepared, and I don't care for fast foods. Overall, I am happy with my stay and would stay again.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business