“New and clean-gets the job done”

Best Western Hotel Harbour View Hong Kong
Ranked #414 of 721 Hotels in Hong Kong
Reviewed April 9, 2013

I stayed at the Best Western Hotel Harbour View during a trip to Hong Kong. The hotel is located about a 15 minutes walk from Sheung Wan MTR station and is around 10 minutes by taxi from the Airport Express Hong Kong station (the fare was around 25 HKD). The room is indeed small but then hotel rooms in Hong Kong are small. Many reviewers here complained about the size of the toilet and how their knees would hit the bathtub. I avoided this by asking for a room with a standing shower. The room was very clean and new with free wifi access-the hotel was less than a year old.
When I stayed there, complementary breakfast was not offered. That wasn't really a problem because there are stores that sell Cantonese style roasted duck and pork near the hotel. There is also a 7-11 nearby.
Despite the rooms being new, there are some points you must take note of. There was simply not enough lighting in the room which was disappointing given the room was new. No wardrobes are available but hooks to hang your clothes were provided in the room. You will also be likely to be interrupted by hotel staff in the morning who would bang the door and ring the bell asking if you need laundry service. During 'rush hours', the wait for the elevator will be very long with lots of frequent stops at many floors due to the number of guests that stay here.
Overall, I enjoyed the stay here with the hotel being new and clean with convenient access to Central, Hong Kong station and the ferry terminal to Macau. Will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Karn L
There are newer reviews for Best Western Hotel Harbour View Hong Kong

Reviewed April 2, 2013

I made a reservation through agoda. I realize its limited cancellation policy and I am aware of it. When my schedule changed, I tried contacting the hotel for the possibility of accommodating my changes. I was told that the manager of the hotel was willing to consider my case and the new dates. I was very happy and excited. And was told to contact agoda for the new dates. When I contacted agoda, I was informed that the hotel was not willing to accommodate my new schedule. I was confused. I wrote back and never heard any reply at all. I corresponded a couple more times and heard nothing from the hotel reservation desk. Neither did I get much help from agoda. It would have been ok if they were to say no at the beginning but being told through some correspondence that the management was willing to accommodate and then nothing happened, not even a respond was very disappointing to me. I used Best Western many times before but now I hesitate to use their service. I expected better services from Best Western.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
8  Thank SSoh59
Reviewed March 29, 2013

We stayed here for a week. Got a really good rate for Hong Kong -- as per usual for Hong Kong the room was small. The bathroom almost nonexistent. We wanted the pool but it was closed. There was no mention of this when we booked. The hotel is quite new and I suppose that the kinks haven't been ironed out yet. No one seemed to know the area very well and so we were left to fend for ourselves. It was a clean hotel and in a nice quiet area. But we found that it was a little out of the way of most attractions.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank zakdill1
Reviewed March 25, 2013

I concur with a lot of reviewers here..the rooms are tiny..the bathrooms are tinier..in fact getting out of the tub, you'd step into the toilet bowl if you are not careful. The sink is part of the main room and is built over the mini-bar fridge !!!!!!

The lobby is on the 5th Floor and there are only 3 elevators servicing the place and sometimes when you get buses of tourists coming in there is the inevitable "grid lock"..

The staff especially the ones at the check in counter are not very friendly and are very curt..

For the price you pay..its just not worth it...

Room Tip: Not recommending to anyone !!!
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
8  Thank offandon-traveller
Reviewed March 20, 2013

I booked this hotel for 5 days thinking i could expect something basic but of a decent american standard Best Western brand is known for. For a cheaper price i was happy to stay a little out of the way.
When the taxi driver told me on the way that it was not a hotel for me (single white australian woman) I was a bit worried.
After waiting 10 minutes for the lift to come to the ground floor to take me to 5th floor reception, I was checked in efficiently but very Iimoersonal experience. All the service was cold and robotic.

The hot buffet breakfast in cafe was cold. The pancakes were hard. The coffee terrible. Go to mc donalds up the road and save usd 30.

The rooms are the smallest I've ever stayed in. Even by hong kong standards they are TINY. There is no cupboard no coat hangers. No space to even open your suitcase fully. There is no light over the sink and mirror so hard to see at night to apply make up or shave. The drain in the bathroom floor spews a putrid sewer smell. The non smoking room smells of smoke.

For usd10 more I could have stayed at the island pacific two blocks away. Big mistake.
No amount of gold tiles and chandeliers will distract from the false economy of staying here. Never again!!!

• Stayed: March 2013
8  Thank likaiting
Reviewed March 13, 2013

As a traveller, we had been to different Best Western, but this one has disappointed us. Room is so tiny, have 2 twin beds, no closet, no desk or chairs. Beds are custom made so that you can slide your luggage underneath. The bathroom is ridiculously small that your knee is hitting bathtub when you are sitting down on the toilette. We requested the non-smoking floor but we smell cigarette every morning. I am sorry to say, I completely agree with the other visitor’s comment “SHAME TO BE A BEST WESTERN”.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
8  Thank FoodAdventurer2010
Reviewed March 6, 2013

I stayed in this hotel last year a few weeks after it had opened.
Can't remember a single positive thing, except maybe for the location, as I usually enjoy staying in Sheung Wan.
The receptionists were the lousiest, incompetent, unfriendly people I've sever seen is a so-called hotel...The room was smaller than you could imagine, even considering HK standards, the cleanliness was mediocre, there is always a long waiting time for elevators, you name it !
They cater to large noisy mainland China groups, which is fine with me but don't try to maket yourself as a business hotel ! When I see the kind of prices they ask for now, it must be a joke. Don't get fooled by the brand name and keep on looking for better options.

Room Tip: Avoid this hotel
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business