“an excellent tour which allowed me to make the most of my trip”
Review of Hong Kong Greeters

Hong Kong Greeters
More attraction details
Owner description: Welcome to Hong Kong, and thank you for considering me as your private guide. Hong Kong is a city still full of traditions, cutting edge structures, a density that will blow your mind and inhabited by steadfastly strong and enlightening people. As a huge bonus… it has some of the tastiest (and inexpensive) food in the world too. I’m have had both my children in Hong Kong, and am now in my seventh year here originating from the UK. When I moved, my goal was never to be an outsider in this city, and so I spent the time (trying) to learn the language and all about its history and people. Sharing these insights with overseas guests and being your friend in Hong Kong is what I am most passionate about. Why consider a private tour? Because Hong Kong is at its most magnificent up close and personal! Not only that, with me around, you can ask any question that springs to mind, eat items you may have been reluctant to try, learn how to use the public transport system, adapt the itinerary and to give you the in depth understanding and enjoyable day you’re looking for. I always want you to get the most from Hong Kong and so will adapt the tour to suit you. Whether you want to see the famous skyline, ride the tram or Star Ferry, keep the kids entertained, go to the historic neighbourhoods or visit a local Hong Konger in their home, I have the perfect itinerary for you. My most popular tours are on foot and by taking the cheap and efficient public transport to get us around quickly. However, I can also offer tours on bicycles (in the rural areas like the New Territories), and in a private vehicle. Car tours are certainly good in the hot summer weather and / or if you have any accessibility needs. My tours are tailor-made, so if you have any specific wishes, it can absolutely be sorted for you. Over my four years as a tour guide, I have been asked for many things… Organising a marriage proposal on Repulse Bay beach at the God of Marriages; hunting for a former RAF base in the New Territories; eating novelty dim sum which vomits(!); to holding snakes and visiting a local in their “average” sized apartment. You name it, we’ve done it! . I have been fortunate enough to receive the Tripadvisor Certificate of Excellence three years running. I love guiding, it’s such a lovely job and I am truly energised by the people I meet. Be it families, couples or small groups, I learn something from you every time and always feel like I have found new friends in the far corners of the world. Hopefully you will see this reflected in my reviews as well Book a tour with me, I look forward to greeting you!
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Wheelchair access
Margaret River, Western Australia, Australia
“an excellent tour which allowed me to make the most of my trip”
Reviewed December 11, 2012

I traveled to Hongkong in October. I had Amy for my guide on the first day of my trip and I am glad that I did. I was spending a few days there and was looking for a guide who would not only show me things that would be hard to find without local knowledge but would help me navigate the transport system so that I would then be comfortable to explore more on my own. Amy was great from first point of contact. She took time to find things that I would be interested in and planned a really enjoyable day for me. It was a diverse tour and really gave me confidence when it came time to explore solo. It was very relaxed and I appreciated the flexibility of the schedule. I also like the fact that as we spent time together she was able to recommend things that I might enjoy doing on the rest of my trip. She went above and beyond my expectations, for example messaging me after my tour with suggestions of places I might enjoy to eat and drink at. I really couldn't have asked for a better tour.

Visited October 2012

Seoul
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Hong Kong Greeters”
Reviewed December 10, 2012

My wife and I visited Hong Kong for the first time in 2012 and, not having a lot of time, decided to spend a day with Amy from HKG. We'd heard about the sevice from friends who raved about it, so we had high expectations before we arrived. They didn't disappoint!

Before we arrived, there were a few emails going back and forth to make sure our itinerary was what we wanted. We didn't know much about Hong Kong - the only things we were interested in were trying some (cheap) local food and seeing the skyline. Amy threw in her own suggestions and took us to the Peak, the main shopping district and recommended the best bars for each night we were there (valuable information given the nature of bars in HK - they can be packed on a Tuesday and empty on a Wednesday).

It was a great experience: mainly for the food and drink. If we hadn't spent the day with HKG, we wouldn't have experienced the best noodles I've ever had, that beautiful park in the heart of bustling Kowloon, nor would we have had nearly as much fun at night. Thanks so much HKG. It's great to eat and drink where the locals do. If you've got more secrets up your sleeve, we'll go with you guys again when we're back in February!

Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
“A great guide to show you the sights of Hong Kong !!!!!!”
Reviewed December 9, 2012

Having not visited Hong Kong before , and being a solo female traveller I really wanted a guide to help me navigate Hong Kong and I made the right choice choosing Amy. I found her friendly and ,knowledgeable and above all so welcoming. I had Amy for 3 full days and the whole experience was amazing I saw so much more than I would of seen on my own. We used the forms of public transport which was a great experience and Amy planned the 3 days itineraries around the sights I wished to visit with a few suggestions from her own personal experiences. I can not recommend this guide enough.

Ostend, Belgium
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“learn from residents”
Reviewed December 2, 2012

In November, i stayed for a week in Hong Kong. Eventually, I made 2 appointments with HK-greeters. Amy from HK-greeters is a very enjoyable and committed guide. A must!
1. On my first day, Amy guided us through the busy heart of HK-island. HK is hectic, grand and impressive. You're hardly able to take it all in. The tour took 3 hours. We talked and discussed while walking at a leisurely pace, we hopped on a passing tram and visited crowded, local markets, old houses and temples (at places you wouldn't expect). We went inside shops, ate at a food stand and ended our tour with a well deserved cup of coffee. I enjoyed it very much.

2. My second appointment with HK-greeters was on Sundaymorning. I took the guided bicycle tour in the new territories, away from the busy citylife.To me, this was a revelation, as it is not something you would expect to do in HK. In Sha Tin, a suburb, I met Amy again at the MTR-station, we rented a good bicycle around the corner and started the tour. We cycled all the way on well kept bike paths along the shoreline, parks and suburbs. Bike paths are safe and always separated from motorized traffic. We made some stops for a drink or a snack. In the afternoon the bike paths were more crowded. It was a fun, relaxing and slightly adventurous tour.

1 Thank Guy L
Midlands UK
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 56 helpful votes
“Perfect Way to get to know Hong Kong”
Reviewed November 26, 2012

Having visited HK before my wife and I wanted to experience some of the "hidden" Hong Kong that most tourists would not see on their own. Amy prepared an interesting itinery and guided us through some of the more daunting experiences (for us!) such as going for a Dim Sum lunch. Our tour culminated at Happy Valley Racecourse for Wednesday night racing and Amy even came into the stadium to ensure we knew where to sit.
Recommended to all visitors to Hong Kong, particularly those who only have a short stay who may not have time to orientate themselves.

1 Thank AndyGB