“Worth a visit”

Cuisines: Spanish
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed February 13, 2013

This is a restaurant with a revolving view of HK. Nothing can beat the view. We had dinner with friends from Thailand and tried the tasting menu. The service was good but it was surprisingly quiet during Chinese New Year holiday. The food is innovative as expected in this kind of cooking. Full of surprises and the look is deceiving. However, every dish was white and it did not satisfy all senses. I like fusion food but this kind of concept by tasting is kind of hard to accept.

Reviewed December 16, 2012

This restaurant is under the name of Paco Roncero, of the 2-star La Terraza del Casino in Madrid.
It's a revolving restaurant on the 62nd floor of the Hopewell Centre in Wan Chai and the food is sensational. Roncero, a former assistant to Ferran Adria, describes it as "nouvelle" but if I say the words "molecular" "deconstruction" and "nitro" in addition to "foam" and "low temperature" you will get the idea. The service was excellent - we had one member who had certain dietary restrictions and they were happy to check ingredients and provide alternatives. We had the cheaper of the two set menus but there was plenty of food. There were a couple of amuse bouches (as we were drinking wine we got a second one in place of the gin concoction), then the iconic XX1 Century Omelette, Foie Gras Royal with lentils and porcini, Lamb shoulder with lemon puree cooked at low temperature and for desert the deconstructed tiramisu, after which I declared I was now ready to die and go to heaven!

1  Thank Gail T
Reviewed November 15, 2012

I will not write much, but if you are a first time in the city, you must visit this place! The first is the fact that being on 62 floor restaurant turns. One round with the city views for 1.5 hours.
At the same time tasty cuisine. It is not overloaded with molecular motifs. Many compliments from the chef. Satisfying and interesting. If not much to find fault, then visit a must! A great time and experience ...

2  Thank Ilya A
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Made a very last minute booking when I was suddenly in the mood for brunch with a view, and the lady who answered the phone was more than helpful in getting us a table (I could see she was trying very hard to do so as I could hear frantic paper rustling and paper hushed chattering in the background when she asked me to hold). She said as it's full house that day it would be very hard to get us a window table (I didn't even have to ask for a window table). Lo and behold when we arrived they got us a big window table (a table for 6 for just the three of us), without me ever mentioining the subject. So the first impression was very good.

First the buffet section. As a seafood lover I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the spread - whole king crabs, whole Boston lobsters, massive lobster claws, snow crab claws, sashimi station and more, all of which was all you can eat. There was also all you can eat foie gras and various gorgeous starters, a manned salad station with the freshest of greens, and very very good desserts (not the biggest selection compared to the usual hotel buffets, but the quality was much better. The bread and butter pudding, apple crumble with pipettes (yes!) of custard and passion fruit/mango sorbet are not to be missed.

Then came the "tapas" that come with the brunch. We got two very generous "tapas" - which were in fact too big to be true tapas (this is not a complaint though!). The first one was a gorgeous pea and pint soup with wrapped iberico ham which was poured in front of you, and the second was a huge chunk of pan seared foie gras - which sadly was overcooked. That was one of the vey few low points during the meal.

The brunch also comes with a choice of main. The selection was not huge (four on our day of visit) but the two that we picked (cod and quail) were good, although the quail legs were overcooked. I would also prefer the "soil" in my veg garden (go check it out to see what I mean) to be made of crushed olives rather than sweetened crumbs. The beef cheeks also sounded lovely.

The free-flow juices were of a good quality (for a bit more you can have free-flow wine and champers). The view of course was stunning - for those who are not familiar with the setting, the restaurant revolved 360 degrees in an hour so you can, well, a 360 degree view of Hong Kong from 62 floors up. You do get to see EVERYTHING in Hong Kong - the harbour, the mountains, the top of the highrises.

For the same price as any 5-star hotel brunch, I definitely consider this to be much better value. As I'm typing this I am actually considering deleting the whole thing as I'm worried about what would happen when the word is out!

1  Thank WTTA
Reviewed October 31, 2012

I took my daughter here for her birthday and was greeted very warmly and effeciently by the staff. Service here is really at a high level whilst not being intrusive. Staff are very attentive and well versed on the menu .
We chose the 8 course degustation menu plus all the little add ons you get as extras. Unfortunately for me the choices were quite restictive and not in liking with my palate. Im a beef and chicken person and unfortunately beef cheeks are not my cup of tea. I had seen good reviews about the lobster pasta dish which i found to be almost tasteless.
I like the idea of being able to have degustation or A la carte.Prices were actually OK for this level of restaurant.
I will wait a while before I go again and maybe check the menu before I go.
Cant fault the service and cheery staff.

1  Thank Graeme M