“Hong Kong's Other Disneyland”
Review of Ocean Park

Ocean Park
Book In Advance
More Info
$94.00*
and up
Ocean Park Hong Kong General Admission with Hotel...
Ranked #6 of 871 things to do in Hong Kong
More attraction details
Owner description: One of the world's most beautiful theme parks and ranked as the 7th most popular theme parks in the world by Forbes - the home-grown destination includes an iconic Marine Land, Amazing Asian Animals (giant pandas, red pandas, asian otters, etc.), and cable cars as well as state-of-the-art, world-class facilities such as Polar Adventure, Thrill Mountain, and Aqua City.
Reviewed January 5, 2013

Ocean Park is another option when visiting HK.
OP is much bigger than HK Disney and some of the rides are quite good and more adult.
There is various wildlife on-show here and it is one place you can see the pandas (and I also enjoyed seeing the walrus).
On the negative side the food is of a poorer quality and even the western food (like a hotdog) has an asian style to it so if you looking for something simple to eat you might not get what you expect.
Wait times for the rides is an issue even when the queues don't seem long. One reason is that they allow for you to take yours bags into the ride area and then store them in baskets. This seem to creates a Benny Hill style drama with people getting on and off and on off and on and off before the rides can even start.
The souvenirs (stuffed animals) appear to of poor quality and not to the same standard that you would get at HKD.
Overall I think that this is still a good place to spend the day with your kids but like HKD plan to go when it is not packed.

1  Thank Christopher D
Write a ReviewReviews (9,500)
All reviews
in 89 reviews
"attractions"
in 1,268 reviews

Reviewed January 5, 2013

Went to Ocean Park to see the giant pandas. There is so much more to do as well.
We have been to lots of seaworld type parks but this one was different and Is certainly worth a look. We went in December. There were no lines and the weather was very mild.

Ocean Park is like a zoo, sightseeing attraction & amusement park all put into one. It is split into The Waterfront & The Summit.

Beware it gets very crowded though however it is still very quick to get on rides no more than 10 minutes waiting time on each ride. And the tickets are very great value for money. Must go attraction in Hong Kong!

Reviewed January 5, 2013

My girlfriend and I visited Ocean Park on Thursday 3rd January 2013. It was very easy to get to and we arrived around 11am. We didn't have to queue to get tickets and they cost 280 HKD each. The park is in 2 sections with the mountain in between. A cable car or train links the two. The cable car was awesome, great views and we only queued around 15 minutes for it. I think that we visited on the best day because the weather was clear and from my experience of theme parks it was very quiet. We headed for The Hair Raiser roller coaster which again had no queue, it was really good fun! The park services were excellent and all toilets were well kept and clean. There was a good range of rides for adults and young children and the zoo aspect really added to the experience. Food options were not so great however. We ended up having a Macdonalds because it is normally a safe bet and this was the longest queue we had all day. The other food options just didn't look so nice but we normally expect to eat fast food in a theme park so this was fine. We watched the dolphin and sea lion show which has spectacular views and the show was good, much better than the dolphin show in Singapore!

The log flume ride was not working but we did see this on a sign before we got near the ride. I am not sure if the park list ride closures online and we didn't look in advance but this is always a good idea.

The only negative incident involved queue jumping where a small Indian boy blatantly walked under the line on the Arctic Blast ride and went straight to the front. No one seemed to say anything so I shouted up and then more people helped move the child to his large family who to everyone's amazement entered the ride queue and all tried to just keep pushing in front of people. Twice I said something to them and they seemed to think they were not in the wrong. After we had been on the ride I informed a member of staff but we didn't hang around to see what the staff did about it but everyone in the queue was getting very frustrated. I just thought I would mention it because it is always something you should look out for at theme parks! The staff at each ride seemed to be helpful and friendly in general.

We returned to the entrance area via the train which had no queue and is also an interesting ride for those who don't want to brave the cable car. We visited the pandas and large aquarium. The Aquarium was excellent and miles better than the one in Singapore.

All together it was a great day. The park is very different to any other I have ever visited and we were not sure whether we should really be doing more cultural things rather than visiting a theme park but it was definitely worth it.

Thanks!

1  Thank euphmag
Reviewed January 5, 2013

I have heard mixed review of HK Ocean Park from friends, family and colleagues, so when I went to HK decided to check it out for myself.

Don't be fooled by the name Ocean Park. There are also Panda and other fury creatures on display. Animals that don't immediately remind you of the OCEAN.

When we arrived it was pretty crowded with bus loads of tour groups what I observed to be from mainland China. I bought my own SLR camera and was taking photo of the kids and all when a staff member offered to take our photo using my camera and then using her camera. Was wondering why she took our photo with her camera which I later discovered she tried to persuade us to purchase those photo with a paper frame of the Park which I felt was not necessary, since we also got our own camera photos. I know they want to make money, but it would make more sense for those without cameras and would like to have a photo as a sourvenir.

The park is generally divided into two areas. The Waterfront being mainy the exhibits showcasing the fishes, the oceanarium (it did not live up to my expectation), the Pandas. i.e. Amazing Asian Animals, Lowland Gardens, Whisker's Harbour, The other area is known as The Summit, its the amusement park area which is accessible via cable car or train. The Summit consisit Marine World, Thrill Mountain, Adventureland and Polar Adventure. We took the cable car, for which we had to queue for 45 minutes. The cable car cabin itself was a bit small for comfort but it'll do and aptly sit three adults, two teens. The cable car ride was a test for the nerve for those not in friendly terms with heights. The view from the cable car was magnificent although the weather was a bit hazy at that time. The ride took about 15 minutes with intermittent stop along the way (for reasons never made known to the cable car passengers).

The amusement park area looks dated with rides that do not gives the rider much confidence. We tried most of the rides. The rides were pretty much the same with the ones that can be found at Singapore RWS Universal Studios or Malaysia Genting Highlands. There's a Water show - Ocean Theater where dolphins and sea Lions perform tricks etc.

What I like best: The amusement rides, the great view from the cable car ride, cool weather
What I like the least: The crowd, long queues, Non-existence of Halal Food outlet.

What to wear, depending on the weather, our travel was in Mid Dec 2012, thus loose pants/jeans with T-shirt andn covered shoes/sandals will suffice. Bring a small compact camera will do, instead of those big and heavy DSLR camera.

If you are planning a visit, this will definitely be a whole day visit. You can basically cover this whole park within 1 day, provided you start your visit immediately when the park opens. For Muslim travellers, I suggest you have a heavy breakfast and bring packed food to the park and skip the proper lunch and straight head for supper after your trip.

Queues for Taxi outside the park is notoriously long. We waited about an hour before we got a cab back to our hotel. There are public buses nearby but you need to ask around to know which bus to take to your preferred designation. If you have children in tow, I suggest taking a cab to prevent the kids from being even more cranky after a full day at the park and to avoid the possibiiity of getting lost when taking the public bus which are full to the brim.

Overall this park is good for a one-off visit. Not worth a repeat.

1  Thank Men-At-Work