“Affordable, Convenient, Close to MTR for transportation and Temple Street for Food and Shopping”
Review of Evergreen Hotel

Evergreen Hotel
Ranked #167 of 718 Hotels in Hong Kong
Kuala Lumpur
Reviewed November 8, 2010

My parents, sister and I booked this hotel through its website. Their replies were prompt and helpful. The website booking will give you better rates compared to the walk-in rate.

We had the double room with a view of the city (which is just the backlane of the buildings but enough for us to check if it is raining, day or night). The rooms are a bit small but you can still move around and have enough area to put two medium suitcases. There is a closet with hangers and also coffee/chinese tea making facilities.

The bathroom is also small but the water pressure for the shower is very good. Room service is done everyday.

Buffet breakfast is adequate with coffee/orange juice, toast with butter and jam, cereal, salad, ham/sausage/corn/hard-boiled egg, porridge, oatmeal, jelly. However there are only 8-10 tables and so one might need to wait for a table when it is busy although this did not happen to us.

The Jordan MTR is just a 5-10 minute walk away (Exit A). There was no problems using it to go to Hong Kong Island or Mongkok.

We were very closed to Temple Street market (South Side) and there are plenty of food places around. The Dim Sum and Char Chan Teng restaurant nearby that the hotel recommended were very good.

You can buy a lot of things around the area. We bought tea leaves, egg tarts, polo bun, dry beef, fruits from the morning market, dog leash and cushion, all from just around the area.

I could use the free wifi with my phone to update my facebook status and it is quite fast.

It is a very good hotel to stay for those on a budget or those who would like to save their money for other stuff like good restaurants.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank AlanLu

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Laredo, Texas
Reviewed October 28, 2010

I just spent 2 weeks at the Evergreen and was very pleased. Yes, the rooms are small compared to US hotels, but no smaller than I've seen in London. The room met all my requirements: clean, lots of hot water, quiet, and good a/c. The beds are very firm but I slept quite well on them.

The employees are very courteous and speak very good English. There are 5 computer stations available with a printer - all free for use. On the fourth floor (top floor) there are two washing machines and driers - also free.

The elevator only goes to the third floor and you have to climb one flight of stairs if you stay on the top floor. The breakfast menu never changes and is mostly chinese food items. I mainly stayed with corn flakes (the only cold cereal choice), wheat toast, and coffee.

The location is very good: one block off Nathan street, close to the MTR (subway - get an octopus card), a few blocks to the night and jade markets, not far from several other markets), a 7-11 next door, a good restaurant next door, and several other good restaurants within a few blocks.

Bottom line: I'd stay here again.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank TexasBob_10
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed October 11, 2010

Positive: Location is great. 5min from night market. Convenient store next door. Bus stop for Airport (Nathan Rd) within 5min walk. MTR Jordan within 10min. Rooms were clean but basic (TV with international programmes). Business center & shared PCs and internet calls available (though 2 of 4 PCs usually did not work). Staff was friendly. Breakfast was basic (toast, coffee, juice, egg, some salad). Elevator & laundry facilities. Some massage salons close by.
Negative: First room I got was 2nd floor facing the main street: noisy, smelly (from the street & aircondition) and some ants. I complained and the was immediately moved to the 3rd floor into a room without windows. No problem for me, since aircondition worked fine and I was in my room at night time only. Very quiet, spacier than the first one, no smell... perfect for me. However there was no separate room for storing the luggage, which was worrying me slightly. They simply kept all bags and suitcases at a corner of the lobby opposite the staircase & elevator, putting a fishnet on top of it... easy access for strangers I would say.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank Nana81
Tauranga, New Zealand
Reviewed September 20, 2010

when I first saw the hotel advert I was a bit confused by the mixed reviews. In the end we chose this place for location and as it was entirely paid for using our Milageplus airpoints. When our bookings were confirmed I emailed ahead to the hotel with a few questions. Replies came back very promptly with clear directions on how to best travel from airport to hotel. We asked if it was possible to check in ahead of their 2pm time as we were arriving early in the morning. No problem. Thus our confidence was assured.
Yes, the room was small, but contained all we needed. Nice and clean.
Big as all you can eat buffet breakfast. Filled up all our water bottles from the cooler. Played their free juke box.
Wireless internet was rather slow so the clerk suggested we use an ethernet cable provided in room, or better still go to the PC room for much faster service. Free printer provided.
The location was great - step out the door to the Temple Street night market and keep on following the stalls until they join with the jade markets. It seems there are many unlisted markets that one comes accross. Just keep walking.
We asked to change some US money at the hotel reception but the clerk suggested frankly that we go around to the luggage shop for a much better rate.
Caught the airport flyer bus back to the plane (comes every ten minutes just around the corner) fast and so easy with lots of luggage racks.
So wish we could have spent more than three nights here. Happy to stay again.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank myscha
Phil
Reviewed September 7, 2010

The hotel in general is small but decent enough for someone as picky as me. The area where the hotel is located was a bit intimidating at first but it grew on me. The receptionists were friendly, accommodating and conversant in English.
We booked our room online. The room space was just right. Twin bedroom (pushed the bed together) has a small table for the laptop (network cable is provided in the drawer), small TV hanging on the wall, slippers for two, bathtub, shampoo and shower gel combo, hair dryer and razorblade which was nice having because I forgot mine. The room we got has no window! I couldn't tell if it was time to get out of bed. They have a laundry room for free but I didnt use it. There is a computer room with Internet access and free printing. The buffet was ok for me. The food offered was the same on the following day. We wanted to stay longer but it was fully booked for the whole week! The price we paid for the hotel was worth it.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank guy_named_bill
jtang
Reviewed September 7, 2010

Booked this hotel using their website online booking form. Stayed for 2 nights. The first time I opened the door, I had a shock. I knew it was going to be small but I could nv imagine a hotel room to be that small. Its about the size of half of my bedroom. There was no window so it seems like a prison cell to me. Room was very very smelly with vanish smell, they could have just repainted the vanish on the wood but lack of ventilation caused the room to be filled with that smell. Bed was hard like some mentioned but don't think anyone would lose sleep due to that.

I got more used to the room on the second night. I love the internet room which comes with free printing. I even managed to amend my itinerary and print it out foc. Breakfast was not very worth trying. We went down for drinks and none were drinkable for us and my husband tried the siew mai and almost threw up. I didn't know the taste coz I din even want to try it. The issue wasn't very big as there were tons of places u could have breakfast.

Tried going to the laundry room on my first night as my jacket was stained but the two washing machines were taken and have to wait for 1 hour. Of course I didn't wait. Washing powder was not provided in the laundry room and u could opt for paid laundry service which is available in the hotel.

Hotel is very very assessible, we didn't have to take too much public transport as we could walk back to the hotel from other MTR stations while shopping on Nathan Road. And staff service were as promised, a 5 star good service from all of the staff.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Florida
Reviewed September 6, 2010

The location is great, Temple Street Night Market is literally right outside your door. Nice little restaurant next door that the locals go to, we went there for dinner, they were very nice & the food was good. The hotel was clean & comfortable and it is not large but it is Hong Kong and I know that. We found 2 tiny roaches in the bathroom and I am terrified of roaches but this didn't bother me, (they were so tiny, barely noticeable) I know the price I paid and the location so really, it was par for the course. I live in Orlando, Fl, I know they sometimes get in...The breakfast buffet was the best in my 12 year old son's eyes! He loved it! It was noodles and noodles and more noodles! It was also hard boiled eggs, sliced ham,salad, potato & pasta salad, etc. all of which I liked because I don't like breakfast! There was also breakfast stuff like cereal, toast, juice, etc. The coffee was good. I had at least 3 cups to deal with my jet lag and it worked. Breakfast buffet staff were nice as well. All in all, we were not there to hang out in the room, we were there to shower and sleep and to spend time in Hong Kong.

The bad part of this stay happened on our second night. We arrived back to our hotel room (it was only myself and my 12 year old son) and he went to shower and I found something quite disturbing on the desk under the tv amongst some of our papers. It was a one-time use of a sexual lubricant that was opened, used, and left on the desk. I was disgusted and used a piece of paper to slide it onto another piece of paper to bring to the front desk. The woman at the front desk who I spoke to (at night on 30 JUL ) didn't seem to care, she just told me to go back to my room. I didn't know what to do and I was upset but she didn't seem to show any concern. She showed it to the guy working next to her and he looked disturbed so I don't think it was a communication issue. I was very bothered by it, I didn't want any money or a discount on my room, I just wanted someone to acknowledge that it was wrong and that they would look into it, that never happened.

I wrote a letter about it to the hotel management but I have not heard back, I doubt I will by now, but they need to look into who is using the hotel rooms during the afternoon while the guests are out...I would recommend this hotel to others if not for that and if not for the front desk's non-caring attitude. I have stayed at the Sheraton and Nathan Hotel before and she acted as uncaring as the Sheraton staff did, but they are not the Sheraton, not that it matters. I will definitely go back to the Nathan Hotel next time because they were much nicer when I stayed there, I guess you get what you pay for!

• Stayed July 2010