“Hidden Hong Kong Photography Day Trip”

Jackie Peers Photography Tours
Ranked #63 of 147 Tours in Hong Kong
More attraction details
Owner description: Photography tours in Hong Kong. In both the natural landscapes, of old indigenous villages, in the New Territories or the backstreet markets of Kowloon, which guarantee a great photographic day. Jackie comes from Christchurch, New Zealand, where she ran a busy wedding and portrait studio for over 12 years. Now based in Sai Kung, New Territories, Hong Kong, her projects have broadened to include travel, local magazine articles, Orangutans in Southern Borneo to still life in her backyard.
Reviewed June 17, 2012

Highly informative and enjoyable day with Jackie Peers in the New Territories. Jackie's shares her knowledge patiently and inspires you to make the most of your camera. She also knows Hong Kong like the back of her hand and does hiking trips too.

Reviewed June 15, 2012

I spent two days in Hong Kong on my way back from a work trip, and I certainly do not regret to have opted for a photo tour wit Jackie Peers. I got to see places where I would have never ventured in such a short stay on my own. Jackie knows Kowloon and surrounding areas like her back pocket and tells a bit of the history of HK while doing the tour. She also takes the time to know you and what you are looking for in photography.

On the practical side, the meeting point was very easy to find and our group was left in a metro station, so it was very handy to find our way back. I left content with a better understanding of my camera, and a few very useful tips for taking candid shots.

I strongly recommend this tour for any photo enthusiasts who want to capture some genuine Hong Kong lifestyle shots.

Reviewed June 11, 2012

Jackie is amazing! She's patient and skillful which makes her a great teacher! I can't think of a better way to practice and learn about photography at the same time! Thank you

1  Thank Ummmira
Reviewed June 8, 2012

Just finished a tour with Jackie Peers in this national park in the most southern part of Borneo. It was personal, fun, and challenging. A range of cameras between the 5 of us gave us ample opportunity to learn what a camera can do. The push to 'see' in new ways produced surprise and pleasure in our own efforts. Extensive photo records to prove it have been gathered.

Jackie is well traveled and picked a particularly interesting spot for this tour. River, Crocodiles if you can see them, Jungle, Orangutans, Proboscis Monkeys, Macaques, bird life, towns, food markets all provide good photo ops. We stayed in the ecolodge, Rimba, on the Sekonya River and took a Klotok (river boat) each day to a new spot in the jungle to see Orangutans (Orang means people, utan means of the forest) at their feeding stations (they have an amazing human-like disposition), a tree planting project run by 'Friends of Tanjung Puting National Park(efforts to assuage the increasing lack of land for the 'people of the forest' to live in) and a local village where people (humans) who work and care for the park live.

We went to see Camp Leaky where in the early 70's Birute Galdikas started her research with the Orangutans and where the research continues. At this spot a limited number of people are also invited to watch the Orangutans at the feeding station and learn Orangutan etiquette. There is something very much akin to us in the Orangutan as gleaned watching the Orangutans interact with each other; a mother with a baby clinging to her stretches from one tree to another offering her body as a bridge for a young sibling to travel across; the looks they give each other (they are often referred to as the 'thinkers of the forest') and the playful tussling amongst the younger Orangutans. I am left with a feeling of awe for the range of life possible and a bigger awareness with another example of how humans affect the lives of these beings.

2  Thank RobinLouise
Reviewed May 15, 2012

Spent an excellent afternoon with Jackie on the Kowloon markets photo tour during my recent trip to Hong Kong. The tour was a great learning opportunity - about photography generally, how to get maximum benefit from my equipment, and about the history of the areas we were exploring. Although becoming more popular with tourists, the market streets we explored and the temple we visited were still very much 'local' destinations. We had an easy rendezvous near the Stary Ferry pier and all got acquainted over a cup of coffee while Jackie outlined the plan for the afternoon. She did a great job working with me and the other photog individually on technique, equipment, etc., while also keeping my partner (not taking pictures) active in the discussion and feeling like part of the group. The itinerary provides opportunities for different types of street photography in different settings - fruit/veg stalls, fish and meat vendors, the jade market, hardware and automotive supplies, and a traditional temple. Highly recommend the tour as a way to see a side of Hong Kong that one might not otherwise experience, and as a fun and challenging workshop that gets you more familiar with your camera and different ways to approach taking pictures.