“Awesome!”

Yesinn Causeway Bay
Cebu City, Philippines
“Awesome!”
Reviewed September 29, 2012

I stayed here back in June when I was in Hong Kong by myself for an exam. It took me several days to finally decide on staying here (was working on a budget, and found other accommodation options to be either too expensive for a solo traveler, or rated too poorly despite the low price) and I can definitely say that it was the best decision to do so!

The only con I can think of would be that it is a little bit hard to find, especially if you arrive past midnight (as the A21 bus does not operate past 12AM). I took an N21 bus from the airport as I was told when I called up the hostel, and arrived about 2 hours later after an hour on the bus and an hour being lost on the streets. On a hunch, I got off at a Causeway Bay stop, and I was initially in the right direction had I not doubted myself and turned the wrong way - thus, ending up walking in circles. In any other city, this would have been a no-no, but the central location made it safe even for a lone tourist like me to walk on the streets at around 3AM. There were a lot of people out, as it was Sunday - drunk and tipsy from Saturday night parties. Not all taxis knew where the hostel was, though, as I had asked 2 taxi drivers and they either did not understand English, or they just really didn't know where the hostel was in that area. Luckily, the third taxi I hailed pointed me to the right direction as he insisted that I walk since it was a short way away. Honest Mr Taximan. :)

I was sweating like mad when I finally found the building. After punching in the code, I was relieved to feel the airconditioning that was on full blast even on the stairways. One set of stairs up and an elevator ride to the 2nd floor, I finally reached the reception area.

It was just how it looked like in the pictures! There was just this one guy snoozing on the massage chair, and he quickly woke up when I called out to him. After 5 minutes, I was directed to my room, where I tried to be as quiet as possible considering it was around 4am. Even in the dark, I could see that this room was nice. I settled my stuff in my assigned locker (electronic card key!), parked my trolley bag, and climbed all the way to the top bunk to sleep.

It was only in the morning when I found the time to admire the room. Again, it looked just how the pictures showed, and though it could be a bit small in the middle with all 9 occupants present, this never really happened as everyone was out doing their own thing so it was usually just a couple of girls left in the dorm at a time, except for sleeping time.

The bathroom was NICE - sparse, clean, a hot and cold shower, and made you want to take your time (which was a bad thing for the other girls haha). There was a sink with cupboards above in the room as well, just outside the bathroom.

The reception area on the second floor also served as the "social area", and this was where you could either chill on the couches, go online via one of the 2 computer stations, or prepare breakfast in the kitchen. Coffee, choco, and tea was free. The kitchen had all the utensils and appliances necessary (complete utensils, pots and pans, an electric stove, a microwave oven, etc), and you could also store food in the refrigerator (with the option to either share it or tell others that it's yours by sticking one of the stickers prepared for such on your food/drink container). All these were at your disposable - just be sure to clean up after yourself and wash whatever you used. I found this set up very convenient.

The place was clean, funky with splashes of color and art on the walls and ceilings, and the reception was friendly and helpful. The MTR was just a short walk away. I found some new friends here, too, which made the whole experience so much more enjoyable.

Overall, a great experience! :) I definitely recommend this to anyone travelling by themselves as it is cheaper than getting a room at a guest house for yourself but much much more worth it and fun!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank Jessa D

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
merosg
Reviewed September 28, 2012

I was looking for a reasonably priced hostel that wasn't sketchy/dirty like the chungking mansions, and I couldn't be happier with Yesinn @Causeway Bay. The hostel is very new and clean, they were still working on developing some areas such as the rooftop terrace. The staff were very friendly, it has a good location not far from public transport, computers and fridge for use, and they even made the beds in the morning. I wouldn't stay in any other hostel in Hong Kong, these prices can't be beat.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Sydney
Reviewed September 20, 2012

This hostel in is a great location, although it can be a little hard to find when you first turn up but after that you can easily walk to most places. As a single female traveller I always felt safe walking around no matter what the time. Close to the MTR and buses so really easy to get around. The rooms are clean and comfortable. The staff were nice but need to be a little more helpful. Heaps of places to eat around with a whole heap of Starbucks around if that is what you want.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed September 18, 2012

The area alone makes this place worth it, as it has a Prime location in heart of Times Square. As a single female, I felt very safe and comfortable in the surroundings. Clean dormitories, and nice roof deck chill spot, but other than that, not amazing. Staff is not overly friendly and seemed very self absorbed. Not helpful with directions or questions.
The location (once you find it) is really easy to get to, but finding it initially can be really confusing as it is off of a small alley! Once you are settled though, it is literally across the street from the MTR (metro/subway station) and within walking distance to many major attractions (Victoria Park, Tin Hau Temple, Night Market etc.)
Would stay there again based off of the price and location, but nothing else.

Room Tip: They do not have bath towels, so make sure to bring your own!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed September 11, 2012

I usually stay at chungking mansion for budget trip, and my 2 nights here are way way better. The room is very clean, the bed is just enough and comfy, you have your own pin light attached to the wall and 2 universal power outlet - you dont't have to bring any adopter anymore, if it's not enough, there's more just outside the bed. you got your own locker inside the room - a very spacious one, still you can leave your stuff on the bed and on the floor and it is safe. I stayed in the 9- bedroom room and on the second deck, I can still reach my stuff
on the bed without getting on it. I'd probably recommend the third deck cause it gives you more headroom. Bathroom is spacious and clean - far from those i have experience in Chungking M. There is a massage chair on the reception but I have never sat on it cause it was never vacant even at 3am, haha. You can chill out with friends or make friends at the 4th floor and on the roof top- very relaxing and nice to hangout if you still don't want to sleep. Location is safe and very near to shopping malls. It's also close to E11 bus stop - cheapest transpo to/from airport (HK21 only).

Cons for me, elevator- you really have to wait, specially when going up. deposit - cash only.

Overall, I would definitely stay here again, and spend what i saved on the room for shopping and adventure around the city.

• Stayed August 2012
Reviewed August 20, 2012

Positives: the place is very clean throughout, the roof garden is an excellent socialising location in the evenings (even though it is still a work in progress) and location is great, very close to bus, MTR and tram stations.

Negatives: not once did I ever get a smile or a "hello" from the staff (except the nice cleaners!), often they could not answer queries on locations of facilities and attractions. This place has a very corporate feel to it, where they make a good effort to get the place looking good but not too much on making the guests feel welcome. The hostel is also far too big, with far too few public computers (I waited nearly an hour to use one late one evening). This probably also contributed to the lack of interaction between staff and residents.

Canada
Reviewed August 19, 2012

Stayed here for 3 nights in a mixed-dorm room.

Pros:

1. Relatively clean. Staff clean the room and bathroom everyday it seems.

2. Close to shopping centers, restaurants, the subway, etc.

3. English-speaking staff...not people that give you DUH? answers and blink at you continously with a confused look.

4. Bed has a curtain for privacy, You can also use the line which the curtain runs on to hang your towel and such. There are also several electrical outlets for each bed which are designed to accept a lot of different plug-in configuration, thereby eliminating the need for an adapter. My bed also has a couple of shelving units to put my stuff on.

5. AC nice and cool. It is a relatively new hostel after all.

6. Huge safey deposit box for each bed which utilizes the key card you have (the same one that you open the dorm room door with but only opens the box that corresponds to your bed #).

7. Water, kitchen, computers with internet access, free wifi, common room.

Cons:

1. A bit difficult to find the place. The entrance IS ON THE SIDE OF THE NCB building.

2. No elevator/lift from ground floor to first floor. So if you have a heavy luggage, be prepared to climb up a few short flight of stairs with it.

3. Only one elevator. The elevator was out of service for a few hours on one of the days I was there.

4. Staff should put a "PLEASE SHUT BATHROOM DOOR AT ALL TIMES" or something sign on the bathroom door. There have been idiots that left the door opened, permitting the cold air to escape into the bathroom and out of the vents and open windows. Common sense people!!!!!

5. The cleanliness of the hostel is also dependent on what sort of filthy slobs the hostel get for customers. I mean, seriously, don't leave your dirty socks strewn on the floor or leave your used q-tip/cotton bud on the bathroom sink.

6. Mgmt should put a trashcan in the bathroom so people can throw stuff away properly instead of leaving trash (ie plastic wrapper of toothbrsh, etc) on the sink counter.

7. Some people have no consideration and manners especially during the wee hours in the morning. Don't slam the door or walk around like you're godzilla.

Overall, I would stay there again.

Room Tip: Get a middle bed of the triple decker beds.