“Not what you expect in Hong Kong”
Review of Hong Kong Museum of Art - CLOSED

Hong Kong Museum of Art
More attraction details
Owner description: The museum has been closed for around three years for a major renovation and expansion project, beginning 3 August 2015. By 2019, we will herald a brand new look to Tsim Sha Tsui.
Reviewed May 5, 2013

It does not appear well rated in Hong Kong's attractions, but I ended up there because our hotel was in front and it was raining. The location of the Museum is spectacular, but once inside it is small, the art collection unimpressive and although they have very important Chinese pieces, I was expecting much more from an art museum in a city like Hong Kong.

1  Thank Asamper

Reviewed April 21, 2013

I really enjoyed the Chinese porcelains and paintings in this museum. As a senior (60+) I only paid $5! There were tons of uniformed school children on field trips - most were well behaved and interested in the art, but a few were noisy. I just went to a different part of the museum for awhile until that group past. The building is beautiful with nice views of the harbor. There was an Andy Warhol exhibit for an extra price, but opted not to view it since I have seen lots of his works elsewhere. The gift store was crammed with books on Chinese art and seemed to have cute souveniers.

1  Thank alicerabbit
Reviewed April 15, 2013

Built in 1962, this ambitious and rather mammoth modernist building is really striking. I loved it, and felt that it must have been really something in it's time, and it still holds it's own today.
Entrance to the Museum was incredibly cheap - HK$10 per adult & HK$5 for a child. I was therefore really impressed by it's accessibility. We pondered the resident collection - 4,000 year old urns, ming vases and various stone pillows with wonder. Extraordinary calligraphy and scrolls. I'm someone who always finds the space housing the art just as interesting as the art itself, so I really enjoyed looking around this huge building, and also noticed teh different styles of seating and furniture in each gallery and corridoor. In this respect it reminded me of an 1960s Australian University complex - like Murdoch or La Trobe! It's a really interesting museum to visit with a really great gift shop & book store, and a stunning location right on the harbour. Well worth the hour or two needed to inspect everything.

1  Thank MissDebonair
Reviewed April 14, 2013

We were trying to visit the Space Museum, but found that it does not open until 1pm. Instead we visited the Museum of Art which opens at 10 AM. The Museum is closed on Thursdays.

The Museum has a very good collection of both artwork and pottery. I really like the broad collection of pottery-everything from ceramic pillows to water droppers. It is small enough that you can see it in about two to three hours. Admission is modest...10 dollars HK.

See more reviews
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Located near Vic Harbour, it was within walking distance if you wish to explore the entire proximity of Salisbury Road/Canton Road/Hankow Rd areas. You have to take the underground connection cause you cannot cross the roads to get here.

I had wanted to see the ceramics/potteries exhibition and made the extra effort. Andy Warhol was also on but I wasn't interested so my HK$10 was well spent because I can see everything except AW (which was fine by me). The galleries were very crowded with locals (every age group) and tourists alike.

Most impressed with the ceramics/potteries (only exhibition which allowed cameras) and with my slight obsessions of Qing Dynasty, I was very glad to see first hand treasures from Kangxi, YongZheng and Qing Dynasty period.

There were also chinese painting and calligraphy (quite disappointed as I was expecting much more) or perhaps works for the period on show was not what I was looking for.

There is a gift shop (which definitely needs some sorting out) cause stock were piled on the floor and walking areas restrictive. Again , like the HKG Heritage Museum, they have souvenirs which read Shanghai Museum.....uh???? Plenty of standard souvenirs like key chains, bookmarks, books, tees (quite expensive), umbrellas, informative books, cds, dvds and knick-knacks.

1  Thank owls9383