“Great way to spend a rainy morning”
Review of Hong Kong Museum of Art - CLOSED

Hong Kong Museum of Art
More attraction details
Owner description: The museum has been closed for around three years for a major renovation and expansion project, beginning 3 August 2015. By 2019, we will herald a brand new look to Tsim Sha Tsui.
milpitasca
186 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 243 helpful votes
“Great way to spend a rainy morning”
Reviewed April 21, 2013

I really enjoyed the Chinese porcelains and paintings in this museum. As a senior (60+) I only paid $5! There were tons of uniformed school children on field trips - most were well behaved and interested in the art, but a few were noisy. I just went to a different part of the museum for awhile until that group past. The building is beautiful with nice views of the harbor. There was an Andy Warhol exhibit for an extra price, but opted not to view it since I have seen lots of his works elsewhere. The gift store was crammed with books on Chinese art and seemed to have cute souveniers.

Visited March 2013

10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 78 helpful votes
“Architecturally Striking”
Reviewed April 15, 2013

Built in 1962, this ambitious and rather mammoth modernist building is really striking. I loved it, and felt that it must have been really something in it's time, and it still holds it's own today.
Entrance to the Museum was incredibly cheap - HK$10 per adult & HK$5 for a child. I was therefore really impressed by it's accessibility. We pondered the resident collection - 4,000 year old urns, ming vases and various stone pillows with wonder. Extraordinary calligraphy and scrolls. I'm someone who always finds the space housing the art just as interesting as the art itself, so I really enjoyed looking around this huge building, and also noticed teh different styles of seating and furniture in each gallery and corridoor. In this respect it reminded me of an 1960s Australian University complex - like Murdoch or La Trobe! It's a really interesting museum to visit with a really great gift shop & book store, and a stunning location right on the harbour. Well worth the hour or two needed to inspect everything.

1 Thank MissDebonair
NC
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 37 helpful votes
“Very enjoyable two hour visit”
Reviewed April 14, 2013 via mobile

We were trying to visit the Space Museum, but found that it does not open until 1pm. Instead we visited the Museum of Art which opens at 10 AM. The Museum is closed on Thursdays.

The Museum has a very good collection of both artwork and pottery. I really like the broad collection of pottery-everything from ceramic pillows to water droppers. It is small enough that you can see it in about two to three hours. Admission is modest...10 dollars HK.

perth, western australia
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Fantastic”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Located near Vic Harbour, it was within walking distance if you wish to explore the entire proximity of Salisbury Road/Canton Road/Hankow Rd areas. You have to take the underground connection cause you cannot cross the roads to get here.

I had wanted to see the ceramics/potteries exhibition and made the extra effort. Andy Warhol was also on but I wasn't interested so my HK$10 was well spent because I can see everything except AW (which was fine by me). The galleries were very crowded with locals (every age group) and tourists alike.

Most impressed with the ceramics/potteries (only exhibition which allowed cameras) and with my slight obsessions of Qing Dynasty, I was very glad to see first hand treasures from Kangxi, YongZheng and Qing Dynasty period.

There were also chinese painting and calligraphy (quite disappointed as I was expecting much more) or perhaps works for the period on show was not what I was looking for.

There is a gift shop (which definitely needs some sorting out) cause stock were piled on the floor and walking areas restrictive. Again , like the HKG Heritage Museum, they have souvenirs which read Shanghai Museum.....uh???? Plenty of standard souvenirs like key chains, bookmarks, books, tees (quite expensive), umbrellas, informative books, cds, dvds and knick-knacks.

T

1 Thank owls9383
Calgary
77 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 52 helpful votes
“Time well spent”
Reviewed April 4, 2013

We really enjoyed this introduction to Chinese art as we had just arrived in Hong Kong. The antiquities galleries with pottery/ ceramics presented in chronological order, helped put time in perspective. Other collections were also very interesting. Unfortunately, we ran out of time to visit all the galleries. Well spent time.

Visited March 2013