“Nice Hike and Awesome View”

Central Hiking Lamma Trail
and up
A Full Day Sea Kayak Tour At North Lamma Island Hong Kong
Ranked #132 of 824 things to do in Hong Kong
More attraction details
Owner description: This hour-long walking trail on Lamma Island takes you past grasslands, ocean views and fields of working farmers.
Singapore
210 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 126 helpful votes
“Nice Hike and Awesome View”
Reviewed August 15, 2012

Lamma Island is traditional Chinese fishing village, but I only see some fishing boats when I reached the island. We went for a long hike surround the island, start from Yung Shue Wan and end at Sok Kwu Wan, it took approximate 2 hours if non-stop. So we actually come and back from different ferry terminal. We went at 35 degree hot sunny day, nice view but the weather was killing. Please remember your sun cream or else you will get burn.

We walked and stopped at Tin Hau Temple at Yung Shue Wan, the Hung Shing Yeh Beach, Lamma Winds etc, so we took around 4-5 hours. The trail is not difficult, hence, it is quite suitable for family hike with kids.

Visited August 2012

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Portland, Oregon
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Paved Trail across the island”
Reviewed July 18, 2012

I hiked with my son most of the way across Lamma Island. The views are beautiful, the trail is paved so very high quality. The orb weaver spiders are enormous. They are not poisonous but they are very beautiful. The views are great. Take sunscreen and a hat, there are a lot of places where there isn't much cover and the sun is hot. Take water and a snack. There is food available in restaurants and shops both in Sok Kwu Wan and in Yung Shue Wan.

The trail goes past several nice beaches, so if you're so inclined, bring a swimsuit and towel.

Visited July 2012
singapore
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Unexpected surprise in Hongkong”
Reviewed June 13, 2012

This is my third trip to Hongkong. My hubby and I decided to do something different from our previous trip. Going to lamma island was actually an impromptu decision on a mid afternoon at about 3.30pm. Reaching there was a breeze, with my son comfortably asleep in his stroller throughout the whole journey to the island. Luckily he woke up just in time to enjoy the beautiful scenery that greet us at the jetty. In fact, it kind of reminded me of those European harbour with cute houses and boats.
I could easily cruise around the little island, alongside with my son in his stroller. I enjoyed browsing the different shops, with different eateries.
The best thing about the island is there was hardly any vehicle. I think the only mode of transport is bicycle. Remember to leave the place before dusk to avoid mosquito bites.

Visited June 2012
1 Thank sweatcorn
N.S.W. Australia
46 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 61 helpful votes
“Lamma Island 45 minutes form Hong Kong But..”
Reviewed June 10, 2012

We took the Star Ferry from Kowloon to Hong Kong Island and then to Lamma Island. We went from Sok Kwu Wan to Yung Shue Wan which meant a pleasant walk approximately 11/2 - 2 hours depending on how much time is taken up with photography in our case a lot, as the scenery is spectacular late lunch at a small cafe in Yung Shue Wan and then the ferry back again. A very special day.

Visited May 2012
Pacifica, California
94 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 94 helpful votes
“a nice day away”
Reviewed June 8, 2012

i wanted to do something different while in HK and this was just the ticket. the ferry from Central is about 20 min going to Yung Shue Wan and 30 min from Sok ku Wan - an easy get away! the trail is steep in places but i'd rather go from Yung Shue Wan as there is less down hill going in the direction of Sok Ku Wan.

i was a bit hesitant to go on this walk because of all the talk about the power plant looming over the island but that didn't bother me as much as the 4 wheel ATV's in Yung Shue Wan that nearly ran me over 3x! i didn't see one of these vehicles in Sok Ku Wan so it was quieter and easier to relax on that side of the island.

i ate at Peach Garden restaurant as the host was nice and easy to talk to and their prices were more reasonable than Rainbow Island. even with the free ferry from Rainbow Island, i got a better deal at Peach Garden and the food was tasty. my garlic prawns were everything i'd hoped for!

all in all, it was a great day on the island. the view from the Lookout Point was amazing, i had wind to cool me down and there weren't a lot of people on the trail. i really enjoyed it.

Visited May 2012