“Nothing special for the price”

The Harbourview Hong Kong
Ranked #148 of 718 Hotels in Hong Kong
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Nothing special for the price”
Reviewed December 5, 2012

Location in causeway bay is good, but rooms are small and views are a brick wall unless you pay extra for a slightly better view (views don't usually matter to me but because the rooms are small it all adds to feeling claustrophobic!)
There is a small fitness facility with 2 treadmills, a cross trainer and a few weights. You have to pay to use wifi although there is a computer you can use for ten minutes if the staff log you in. The service is quite good, doors held open for you etc. however for the price I paid I would rather pay £15 more and stay in another 4 or 5 star hotel.

• Stayed November 2012
2 Thank Sazhom
TheHarbourview, Manager at The Harbourview Hong Kong, responded to this review, December 9, 2012
Dear Sir,

Thank you for taking time to share your experience with us. We are pleased to learn that you are satisfied with our location and service provided.

Comparing with other hotels, our guestrooms are not big in size, however, we have been trying our very best to offset this weakness with our prime location and stunning harbour view. Our hotel has two other room categories; namely, Executive Room and Executive Deluxe Room, both are larger than regular rooms and face the Victoria Harbour that you might consider for your next visit.

Regarding the internet charge, please kindly note we can offer a special rate if you make reservation directly with us, you may contact our Reservation Department: reservation@theharbourview.com.hk if you would like to know more.

Thank you again for your comment and we hope that you could offer us a second chance on your next visit to Hong Kong.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (248)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
RTP, NC
Reviewed December 5, 2012 via mobile

Well I wish I would have booked my own hotel but this one was chosen by the group doing the expo here in HK. First of all Internet is extra... If this is a business hotel how about making it business friendly like free wifi. Second the beds are uncomfortable, mattresses are hard and pillows are like mush. The biggest disappointment is the TV it's the same size as my laptop screen! I travel so much for work I like to lay down and watch TV at night this is ridiculous! Also no CNN no movie stations nothing to watch no sitcoms or international stations! . I have stayed at several other HK hotels in the Monkok and Kowloon area those are much better and provide better amenities. I will not stay here again wish I would not have prepaid because I really would change hotels!

Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank RJB27540
TheHarbourview, Manager at The Harbourview Hong Kong, responded to this review, December 7, 2012
Dear Sir,

Thank you for taking your time to write us a review. We are most grateful for your feedback, which is valuable and important to us.

Your suggestion on free Wi-Fi service will be forwarded to our management for consideration. Meanwhile, please kindly note we can offer a special rate if you make reservation directly with us, you may contact our Reservation Department: reservation@theharbourview.com.hk if you would like to know more.

Your note about the bed and pillow is well taken too; we can provide a topper on the mattress and pillows for guests who prefer sleeping on softer mattress and we also have different kinds of pillows for guests to choose from. Please kindly drop us an e-mail at marketing@theharbourview.com.hk and let us know your name and period of your previous stay, so that we can make proper arrangement during your next stay.

Also, we are replacing the small in-room televisions with larger screen TVs in all our guestrooms in different phases and this process will be completed by March 2013. For TV channels, we are sorry that the variety of channel is not up to your expectation. We will try our best to improve in this area.

Thank you again for your comment and we sincerely hope that you could offer us a second chance on your next visit to Hong Kong.

Travelers are raving about these Hong Kong hotels

Cumbria, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 3, 2012

The location in Wan Chai is perfect - 5 minutes or so from the MRT or Star Ferry, and a good selection of restaurants and pubs all within 10 minutes walk.

The staff are simply amazing - helpful, friendly, well-trained, and give 110% service, 24 hours a day.

The room was not big, but certainly big enough. It was very comfortable, well maintained, and spotlessly clean. It had a huge window with the most amazing view of Victoria Harbour. Breathtaking.

The restaurant is pleasant, and the chef is good. Breakfast is good, but lunch and dinner let down by limited choice.

In conclusion, this is not a large, flashy hotel, but it is sensibly priced, well located, well run, and definitely a place to stay and return to.

Room Tip: Pay just a little extra for a Premium Harbour View Room.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Harvey E
Dear Sir,

Thank you very much for writing us this valuable piece of compliment.

We are delighted to know that you are satisfied with our location, price, breakfast buffet, friendly service and cleanliness of our guestrooms, and we will keep up the good work definitely. With our prime location, guests will have easy access to many popular shopping and entertainment hubs.

For the food variety issue, your comment would be communicated to our Food and Beverage team for further improvement.

We look forward to having the pleasure of serving you during your next trip to Hong Kong.
Perth, Australia
Reviewed November 23, 2012

I chose this hotel as I wanted to stay on HK Island, and chose Wan Chai as it was relatively flat land compared to other parts of HK. On all our previous trips, we had always stayed in TST area. But I was a bit disappointed that I didn’t do enough research, as this hotel is in a business area. You don’t step out of the door and find 711’s or shops. Its in a very quiet area, very close to the convention centre. Didnt like walking back to the hotel late at night. Not many people around and you had to walk through a lane way back to the hotel. We ended up catching taxis for this reason.

We stayed for 5 nights. On our 1st night (we arrived in the evening). Lobby entrance was being renovated, but no dramas as you just walked through the undercover car park. Check -in was quick.

I was annoyed by the internet charges, HK$40 for an hour block. So if you only used it for 5 mins you were charged HK$40. I actually asked a 2nd time about this, the next night as it didn’t seem right, but they confirmed that what I was told was correct. I only wanted to check my emails, which would have taken 5 mins. I was given the option of bringing my laptop downstairs to check my emails for free. But with the lobby under renovation, I didn’t consider this an option. All the other hotels I have stayed in, if you buy 1 hour and if you only use 5mins, it means that you have 55mins left to use another time.

The hotel room was smallish. But compared to other hotels in Hong Kong, it was a decent size. Bed was rock hard, wish someone had told me an overlay was available to soften the bed. Quality of sleep was not good because of the hard bed. I did mention it to the cleaning lady but she didn’t understand me and I forgot to mention it at reception. TV was old, some stations the reception was not good. But if you tried to swing the TV around so you could watch it from the bed, all stations had poor reception. Bathroom was ok. Room had a small desk. But the room was clean.
Room was adequate and value for money, compared to other hotels in Hong Kong.

Our view was of concrete walls. 1st night we were just too tired to ask for another room, and we just didn’t have the time to ask the next day and as we were off to Disneyland. I should have persisted and asked for a room with a view of the harbour, as I noticed not all the rooms on that side were occupied.

I think the staff could be a bit more informative, especially as the location of the hotel is not in a touristy area. On our 2nd night a doorman told us about the shortcut to get to the restaurants and the MTR from the hotel, but that was a 10 min walk, over bridges that cross the main roads. Also we found out by chance that you don’t need to go to Central to get the Star Ferry to Kowloon side. As 10/15min walk from the hotel is the Wan Chai Jetty where you can catch the Star Ferry to Kowloon side.

We stored our luggage at hotel, while we went to Macau for 2 nights.

I must admit, I don’t think I would stay in this area again. I much preferred the Kowloon side. Also exchange rates in TST were a bit higher than the Wan Chai area, and very few money changers around. The hotel rates were terrible, .

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view over the harbour, otherwise you get concrete walls. Ask for a overlay fo...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank danutaperth
TheHarbourview, Manager at The Harbourview Hong Kong, responded to this review, November 25, 2012
Dear Madam,

Thank you so much for taking your time to write us a detailed comment.

Regarding your points on our hotel’s location, it is true that there is no convenience store nearby; however, there are plenty of restaurants and bars within 10 minute’s walk from the hotel across the main road. We understand that the neighboring area is a business area and it is really quiet in the nighttime, therefore it is a wise choice for you to catch a taxi back to the hotel.

The Harbourview is undergoing a series renovation works to provide a better environment for the guests. We are glad that the renovation didn’t cause you too much inconvenience during your stay. Regarding the internet charge, please note we can offer a special price if you make reservation directly with our hotel, you may contact our reservation department: reservation@theharbourview.com.hk if you would like to know more.

Comparing with other hotels, our guestrooms are not big in size, however, we have been trying to offset this weakness with our convenient location and stunning harbour view. Our hotel has two other room categories, namely, Premier Harbour View and Premier Plus Harbour View, both are larger than regular rooms and face the Victoria Harbour that you might consider for your next visit.

Your comment about the bed is well noted too, we can provide a topper on the mattress for guests who prefer sleeping on softer mattress. Please kindly drop us an e-mail at marketing@theharbourview.com.hk and let us know your name and period of your previous stay, so that we can make proper arrangement during your next stay.

In fact, we are replacing the small in-room televisions with larger screen TVs in all our guestrooms in different phases and this process will be completed by March 2013. Your comment on our staff member is well noted as well. Concerned department has been briefed to alert the service standard and product knowledge of frontline staff. We felt sorry that you were given a wrong direction for taking a ferry to cross the harbour.

We sincerely hope that you could give us one more chance and we are confident that you would have a better experience on your next stay. May we say thank you again for your valuable comments.
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed November 22, 2012

The hotel has good location as not far from the Hongkong Convention and Exhibition Centre and also walking distance to the underground station Wan Chai. The lobby is very small,my room was clean but tiny and only seen the concrete wall of other building. Breakfast buffet was good. Staff were helpful.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear Sir,

Thank you for sharing your comment on TripAdvisor.com.

We are delighted to know that you are satisfied with the location, cleanliness, breakfast buffet and service of our hotel. Comparing with other hotels, our guestrooms are not big in size, however we have been trying to offset this weakness with our prime location and reasonable price. Please be informed that over half of our guestrooms face the Victoria Harbour, you may choose our harbour view room during your next stay to have an even better experience with us.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and we look forward to your return in a near future.
ottawa canada
Reviewed November 15, 2012

If you are looking for something right near the Wan Chai district and walking distance to the subways, this is very good. Much cheaper than some of the central places. The hotel was really only average. The lobby is being rebuilt, but still going to be very small. The rooms are tiny, but clean. Nothing really outstanding in anyway, but the location.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Barry H
TheHarbourview, Manager at The Harbourview Hong Kong, responded to this review, November 21, 2012
Dear Sir,

Thank you for staying at The Harbourview and taking your time to share your comment with us.

We are glad to know that you appreciate our hotel's convenient location, room cleanliness and price.

Comparing with other hotels, our guestrooms are not big in size, however, we have been trying our very best to offset this weakness with our prime location, reasonable price and stunning harbour view. Kindly also be informed that the hotel’s renovation work will be completed within this year, we are confident that your next stay with us would be more enjoyable.

Once again, thank you for your comment and we look forward to welcoming you back in a near future.
Canberra
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Nothing much to complain about with this hotel, but it's nothing exceptional either. Minor gripes include powdered milk instead of real or UHT milk for that late night cup of tea (and only 2 of anything - tea bags, milk sachets & coffee), and the loo paper wasn't replaced when the roll was almost done, so we had to ask for some. We also left the electronic key in our room whilst we ducked out for an hour as we had a phone charging (need key in slot for lights etc), however the maid who cleaned our room and taken the key out - I appreciate the hotel wants to save energy however to us the hotel seemed a bit penny-pinching (and I bet its on instruction and not the maid's decision). But these are only a minor criticisms.

We had a fabulous view however you do NOT want a non-harbourview room as you look at a concrete wall and it is for the view only that you would stay here with so many hotels in HK & Kowloon. Staff were generally helpful and no problems there. Restaurant was adequate and breakfast buffet was good, especially fresh omelettes. The only dinner offering in the restaurant when we were there was a pricey seafood buffet (about US$80 each + drinks) - we tried it and found it OK but ate elsewhere the rest of the time.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor with a harbour view - they cost more but you do not want to look at a concret...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank AandLabroad
TheHarbourview, Manager at The Harbourview Hong Kong, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
Dear sir,

We are delighted to learn that you enjoyed the breakfast and dinner buffet at the hotel, as well as the harbour view. Our location is one of our biggest assets too, we are located between Wanchai and Admiralty with hundreds of restaurants around, where tourists can have whatever cuisine they prefer.

We feel sorry for the inconvenience you experienced about the service provided by our housekeeping team. We have reported this issue to the concerned department and will look into this matter in depth to strive for improvement.

We look forward to having the pleasure of serving you again in a near future.