“Expensive for the basics.”

The Empire Hotel Wan Chai
Ranked #128 of 723 Hotels in Hong Kong
Reviewed January 11, 2013

I stayed here for 5 days, it was ok. It was clean enough and safe. The hospitality of the staff was pleasant once I approached them. The location is good and bad. It's a short walk to the Central District (busy streets seen on TV) and an easy walk to every tourist attraction. I liked being away from the hustle of the busier streets but able to be a part of what makes Hong Kong fantastic. The bad part of this location is it's closeness to the bars (some seedy) , nighttime drunk loudness (3am) and traffic. I was on the 14th floor and I felt as if I was street level. If I had been on a business trip and needed to stick to a schedule, I would have changed hotels.

Breakfast was aweful. The menu needs to be reviewed as well as the freshness. The staff started to clear it up each day before the guests were finished or breakfast hours were over. There is a coffee shop across the street, Starbucks is about a 6 minute walk and there are a few small cafes/restaurants close by.

I LOVED Hong Kong but will stay at another hotel next time.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo

Reviewed January 3, 2013

I did a lot research before booking this hotel. We wanted to be on the HK side during the evenings since it's known for the nightlife and so we stayed here for 2 nights. It was also affordable as we were all MBA students at the time. The subway is right down the street from the hotel for all daytime activities and the the cab ride to Central - Soho for dinner and nightlife was pretty quick too. There is also a foreign currency exchange place across the street with great rates.

The rooms were small and clean, and the staff was quite helpful. Good coffee across the street, McDonalds behind the hotel (the menu and food taste different in HK), and walking distance to some cool bars. Beers are always great for cooling down. If you want to try a typical HK style cafe, go to Tsui Wah down the street. Good for breakfast or lunch.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Kathy P
Reviewed December 21, 2012

Stayed here for 2 nights to attend meetings at Pacific Place. Had a number of colleagues here who arrived earlier and warned me of "Empire Experience". So I was a little apprehensive when I arrived at the hotel. Was relieved to be greeted by a rather nice lobby but was warned again not to judge a hotel by its lobby. Service at front desk could have been improved. There was a mix up with my reservation as I was only booked for 1 night. They kept insisting they'd check me in for one night and sort out the second night later. I wasn't confident they'd get me a room on the second night so I insisted they sort it out there and then. Took them a while to even though the hotel wasn't full the next day.

When I finally got into my room, I had to use the toilet. On lifting the seat, I saw that someone had left a "gift" in the toilet bowl. The cleaning of the room was obviously not checked. Perhaps this experience coloured my overall view but I don't think the rooms are cleaned properly. I also stayed on one of the highest floors but the windows aren't insulated propertly so the sound from the road filters through including the merry making on the streets. Speaking of which, the hotel is a stone's throw away from establishments with exotic names like "wild horses club" and "coyotes bar" plus lots neon advertising "models". Not one for families I'd say.

Breakfast in one word - sucked. Diffenately one of the worst meals you could have in Hong Kong, which is famed for its great cuisine. Would not want to return unless I really had to.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed December 3, 2012

This is an ok hotel. A little warn around the edges, but it is kept clean. Buffet breakfast isn't worth the price, but there is a nice coffee shop across the street. The staff is very friendly. It is an easy walk to the expo center, and the Pacific Place Mall

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 4, 2012

I will not say this is a hotel of 1st class, but at least you get what you paid.
The room size is reasonable compared with some other so-called 4 stars, so is the bathroom. We did not try the breakfast in the hotel, as it was not included in the package, and there are plenty of typical Hongkong restaurants nearby, serving delicious and affordable breakfast. The hotel is located above a pub street, so there were a lot of movements during the night, and we did encounter some drunk westerners, but no danger at all.
The hotel is close to the MTR Wanchai station, and there is also the direct bus link (11a, I suppose) to the airport.
I would recommend this hotel for the travelers with limited budget.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 29, 2012

Very ideally located in the activity hub of Hong Kong, this hotel provides value for money.

It is in the centre of all night life in Wan Chai and almost all places are withing walking distance.

The hotel provides free internet, buffet breakfast and maintains the rooms perfectly clean. Stayed 4 Nights and had nothing to complain about.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 24, 2012

I stayed at the Empire on business for four days Good central location , staff really friendly and helpful and great central location Good Breakfsat with vast choice and Business lounge on 2nd floor with free-wi-fi Would recommend and stay here again

Room Tip: High up is quieter