“Great location”

Ranked #181 of 719 Hotels in Hong Kong
North West Tasmania
“Great location”
Reviewed November 25, 2013

I stayed here for three nights recently. In short I found the hotel absolutely adequate: It may not be the plushest and may be a little worn in a few places but nothing that I found unreasonable. The room was clean, the beds super comfortable ( for me) and the staff were great: friendly, efficient and helpful whether they were cleaners, doormen or reception staff. Well done staff - it makes a big difference. On the whole I found the standard of facilities and cleanliness to be fine and reasonable for the price. I would happily stay there again.

In fact, I found my room to be very cosy and comfortable. I had been upgraded from a single room to a twin so, sure, I got a bit more space than I paid for. I rather liked the room and decor. I spent most of my time out and about, but on one day when I went back for a siesta and a change of shirt, I was quite happy lounging around. I did not have a particularly inspiring view, but then again I wasn't expecting one, so nothing lost. I am not sure if any of the rooms have great views - possibly.

I did not use the bars or restaurant, but the bar at least looked to be a pleasant spot if one wanted a nightcap at the hotel. I cannot comment on the food.

I have previously stayed at the much more upmarket Harbour Grand Kowloon: that is a fine hotel with stunning views of the HK skyline and it has a simply fantastic rooftop pool. (which was why I previously chose it). However in future I would choose the Charterhouse if for no other reason than its great location. The Harbour Grand is in a fairly sterile part of Kowloon. Admittedly sterility is precisely what some travellers will be looking for.

For me the Charterhouse wins hands down - it is in a bustling part of Wan Chai and within moments of leaving the hotel you can be surrounded by market stalls, street chaos, thousands of humans, colour, life and traffic. Ducks suspended from shop windows, street stalls and limitless eateries selling all sorts of unusual foods. - just a fantastic location. There are two MTR stations within easy walking distance.

On my return to Australia next week I have booked into a small place in Kowloon for one night. I suspect it will be fine, but almost wish I had booked to return to the Charterhouse.

Ps My other top tip is get up early to avoid the queues for the train to Victoria Peak. I went at about 8.30 on a Sunday morning and only about 10 people were with me going up. By the time I got down at about 11 am, the queue was stretching a long, long, tedious way. Unless you're into queuing of course.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
tonywongHongKong, Manager at The Charterhouse Causeway Bay Hotel, responded to this review, November 27, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write on Tripadvisor. We truly appreciate your feedback made on our product and service.

We are glad to learn that the overall product and services had met your expectation and your memorable experiences and comments made will be shared to all our staff.

Indeed our location will provide easy access to many places of interest including shopping, old Hong Kong market & eating stalls and etc that are within walking distances.

Once again thank you for providing us this valuable feedback and we shall look forward to welcoming you again.

Yours sincerely,

On behalf of Hotel Management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed November 19, 2013

This place is a little rough. They book a ton of tour groups, meetings, etc., so it may not be possible to avoid staying here if you're part of a group -- but if you have a choice, there are several other hotels nearby with much higher ratings on TripAdvisor.

The first room I was checked into stank so strongly of sickly-sweet air freshener that I couldn't breathe -- I asked to change rooms, and was told I'd have to wait a couple of hours. No problem -- left my bags, came back, and checked into the new room, which was okay, but not great: carpets weren't very clean, wallpaper was peeling and furniture was scratched and dented. The biggest issue, though, was that the room was dusty and stuffy, with bad ventilation -- in retrospect, it would have been worth it to buy a cheap air purifier for the two weeks I was there, just so I could sleep through the night without waking up coughing.

In general, the hotel is about at the level of a Motel 6 in the U.S. -- nowhere near the boutique, upscale hotel it claims to be.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank writejeff
Dear Guest,

We are sorry to learn of your adverse feedback pertaining to the cleanliness and maintenance of our guestrooms which has affected your overall experienced.

In general we are constantly improving our guestrooms thru our daily rejuvenation program to enhance the in-room experience and your related comments have been brought to the attention of our Executive Housekeeper and Chief Engineer for further rectification.

Yours sincerely,

On Behalf of Management

Travelers are raving about these Hong Kong hotels

Iloilo City, Philippines
Reviewed November 14, 2013

The Room is clean and spacious. The staff were very accommodating and makes you feel at home. The Dinner buffet was also great with a wide variety.

The location is also very convenient and accessible, wether you want to take the Tram, Bus, MTR or the Ferry all with in walking distance!

The rates are also a big YES, for Hong Kong standards they are very quite reasonable

Room Tip: If you want a Modern Look you should definitely take the Signature Rooms,
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
tonywongHongKong, Manager at The Charterhouse Causeway Bay Hotel, responded to this review, November 14, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing The Charterhouse Causeway Bay, Hong Kong and giving us your feedback on Tripadvisor. We truly appreciate your feedback made on our product and service.

We are pleased to know of your positive feedback on our service and product and your memorable experience will be shared to our staff accordingly.

All this while we are very passionate in providing contemporary in-room experience to our guests especially to create a WOW factor experience and driving consistency on our services

Beijing
Reviewed November 10, 2013

I have stayed in this hotel at least 5 times. I do not believe in rating a hotel or restaurant after just one stay or visit. Even at the risk of this well-run hotel being chock full all the time, so that there is "no room at the inn" for me, I must still highly recommend that you stay in this hotel on your next visit to Hong Kong.

The hotel is efficient all the time. Every employee is extremely guest-conscious. It is obvious that they are led by a general manager with unwaverable solid industry service standards. The hotel is clean........everywhere. I know, because I look out for such details. It does not pretend what it is not, but delivers everything it says it will. Thus, it is good market value.

It's location vicinity has an "old" Hong Kong feel. A wet market down the road is a must visit. Times Square and other Hong Kong Island sites are within walking distance. A good foot massage can be had across the street, which will not rip you off. For expats working in China or Macau, the Prize market two doors down is full of Kirkland household supplies. How they got the American COSTCO brand into their store confounds me to this day. Everything in the store is a "good buy." I load up, then walk back to the hotel, unload, and return to buy more.

Finally, it is a hotel that continually improves. With everyone of my five visits I see delightful improvements. Be sure to have a drink in the cozy bar on the mezzanine level. Also, room 202 and there are other similar rooms with WOW experience showers. The Australian rain showers are seldom found even in Hong Kong's much more expensive bathrooms.

Sigh! If you take my suggestion and book there, the hotel may not have space for me the next time I visit Hong Kong.

Room Tip: Second floor rooms and suites.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Indeed we are blessed to have you be our guest repeatedly and notices the changes that took the place on the overall improvement relating to the software and hardware, your compliments will be shared to all of our staff for their dedicated contribution.

Also our basement outlet, Champs Bar was advocated by British on Tripadvisor as the recommended sport bar in Hong Kong that offers Live Broadcast on English League and serving various food and drink selection to our guests.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed November 4, 2013

We stayed at the Charterhouse for 4 nights and found the room and bathroom to be modern, clean and well equipped. The room was spacious enough for the two of us plus our 4 large and 2 small suitcases, and the bathroom was spacious by HK standards. The staff were extremely nice, professional and helpful, and provided us with a city map as well as great advice on public transport and nearby areas. We landed at 7am and when we got to the hotel, the staff were very accommodating and arranged for the first available suitable room for us to check in before noon, For check out, because we had a late evening flight, they automatically offered us the option to check out late at 2pm.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
tonywongHongKong, Manager at The Charterhouse Causeway Bay Hotel, responded to this review, November 13, 2013
Dear Guest,

We are pleased to learn of your positive comments relating to our staff attentiveness and helpfulness which will be shared to our associate members.

All in all, our objective are to introduce a contemporary in-house experience to our guests thru our room rejuvenation project and maintaining the classic equipped fixtures and etc.

Reviewed November 2, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for 3 nights en route to Oz from the UK having never been to HK before. They upgraded our room as it was our 40th wedding anniversary. The staff are lovely - friendly and helpful. The hotel facilities are great. Used Harry's Bar in the basement for a snack meal and drinks one evening when we'd left it a bit late and we weren't disappointed. Ideally located only 10 minutes walk to Wan Chai MTR station and 15 minutes to the Star Ferry for Kowloon. Thoroughly recommended.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

‘Congratulations’ on your 40th wedding anniversary and thank you for letting us be part of your special day. We are glad to learn of your cozy experience on our product and staff service, our associate members are honored to providing proactive and attentive service to you. Your compliment will be sharing to them for driving going beyond our service expectation.

Indeed, our convenient location provides easy access to the bustling area of Causeway Bay and Wan Chai and nearby public transportation for exploring through Hong Kong.

Reviewed October 25, 2013

The best aspect of this hotel is it's location - near Times Square and within walking distance to the Star Ferry to Kowloon. Otherwise it is a typical Chinese hotel (with the exception that there is wi fi in the rooms). The food and the cleanliness are just OK but I will say that the staff went out of their way to make a restaurant reservation for us.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Mike G
tonywongHongKong, Manager at The Charterhouse Causeway Bay Hotel, responded to this review, October 30, 2013
Dear Guest,

We are delighted to learn of your memorable experience and your feedback will always be shared to our associate members. Your other related feedback had taken up by our Executive Housekeeper and Food & Beverage Manager for further improvement on the product qualities and we shall incorporate into our staff training program for continual improvements.

All in all, our convenient location will provide easy access to many points of interest and a series of transportation to visit Hong Kong including a line bus to Stanley Market.