I stayed here for three nights recently. In short I found the hotel absolutely adequate: It may not be the plushest and may be a little worn in a few places but nothing that I found unreasonable. The room was clean, the beds super comfortable ( for me) and the staff were great: friendly, efficient and helpful whether they were cleaners, doormen or reception staff. Well done staff - it makes a big difference. On the whole I found the standard of facilities and cleanliness to be fine and reasonable for the price. I would happily stay there again.
In fact, I found my room to be very cosy and comfortable. I had been upgraded from a single room to a twin so, sure, I got a bit more space than I paid for. I rather liked the room and decor. I spent most of my time out and about, but on one day when I went back for a siesta and a change of shirt, I was quite happy lounging around. I did not have a particularly inspiring view, but then again I wasn't expecting one, so nothing lost. I am not sure if any of the rooms have great views - possibly.
I did not use the bars or restaurant, but the bar at least looked to be a pleasant spot if one wanted a nightcap at the hotel. I cannot comment on the food.
I have previously stayed at the much more upmarket Harbour Grand Kowloon: that is a fine hotel with stunning views of the HK skyline and it has a simply fantastic rooftop pool. (which was why I previously chose it). However in future I would choose the Charterhouse if for no other reason than its great location. The Harbour Grand is in a fairly sterile part of Kowloon. Admittedly sterility is precisely what some travellers will be looking for.
For me the Charterhouse wins hands down - it is in a bustling part of Wan Chai and within moments of leaving the hotel you can be surrounded by market stalls, street chaos, thousands of humans, colour, life and traffic. Ducks suspended from shop windows, street stalls and limitless eateries selling all sorts of unusual foods. - just a fantastic location. There are two MTR stations within easy walking distance.
On my return to Australia next week I have booked into a small place in Kowloon for one night. I suspect it will be fine, but almost wish I had booked to return to the Charterhouse.
Ps My other top tip is get up early to avoid the queues for the train to Victoria Peak. I went at about 8.30 on a Sunday morning and only about 10 people were with me going up. By the time I got down at about 11 am, the queue was stretching a long, long, tedious way. Unless you're into queuing of course.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Charterhouse Causeway Bay Hotel Hong Kong is an elegant hotel, conveniently located at the edge of Causeway Bay in Hong Kong Island. The Hong Kong Convention and Exhibition Centre and Causeway Bay MTR subway stations are within easy walking distance of the hotel. The majority of tourist attractions and business areas are easily accessible within 10 minutes drive. Considering the needs of our business visitors, our hotel shuttle will take you to Hong Kong Convention and exhibition Centre during trade fair and event periods in just a few minutes. For our visitors exploring different beauties of Hong Kong, splendid shopping malls like Times Square, Hysan Place and easy transportation system like Causeway Bay subway station are a few steps from our hotel which will never disappoint you. The Gazebo Restaurant, Champs Bar, Harry's Bar and Lounge and Fitness Room 23 hours a day provides you the relaxing places to enjoy your life and escape from the hustle and speed of the city of the day. Free Wifi is available at all guestrooms and public areas are even make your stay more pleasurable. In order to provide a healthy and smoke-free environment for global travelers, The Charterhouse Causeway Bay has been completely a smoke-free hotel to ensure our guests a pleasant stay. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, Agoda, Hotwire, Cancelon, Priceline, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and HRS so you can book your The Charterhouse Causeway Bay Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Charterhouse Hotel Hong Kong
- The Charterhouse Causeway Bay Hotel Hong Kong