“Extended stay at The Charterhouse Causeway Bay, Wanchai, Hong Kong, China”

The Charterhouse Causeway Bay Hotel
Ranked #185 of 725 Hotels in Hong Kong
Reviewed May 21, 2013

The Charterhouse's motto, "You arrive as friends, you leave as family", is much more than just words. It is a genuine statement. Our OAT tour stayed at The Charterhouse during April, 2013. We extended our stay due to a family medical emergency. With the support of the general manager, I was able to stay an additional 4 days and my husband an additional 16 days to oversee medical care for a family member and fellow OAT traveler. The entire management and concierge staff and the bellboys, maids and food service personnel, extended their hands in friendship to us during a very difficult situation. They were genuinely caring and compassionate and we are forever grateful to be included in their family. Since returning home, we have received emails of concern from the General Manager, the Assistant Manager, the Head Concierge and the Senior Front Office Manager. They all wanted to be sure that we had returned home safely and sent their continuing best regards to us. We arrived as friends and left as family. As an older hotel in a central location, it continues to offer an excellent experience to travelers because of the warm and helpful attitude of its staff. Thank you, Charterhouse staff, for helping us in a time of need. If we ever return to your beautiful city, it will feel like coming home.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank John and Bette W
tonywongHongKong, Manager at The Charterhouse Causeway Bay Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 29, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write on Tripadvisor. We truly appreciate your feedback made on our product and service.

We are grateful to learn of your compliments made on our overall product and services which had exceeded your expectation. In order to upkeep our ultimate service commitment we frequently shared our slogan ‘Arrive as a guest and leave as a friend’ in our training to all our employees and you are our mirror in service and our employees are our assets to execute our service promise.

Once again thank you for providing us these valuable feedbacks and we certainly looking forward to your return visit soon.

Reviewed May 20, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for several nights earlier in the month having previously given serious consideration to staying at the Bishop Lei. After much consideration, I finally opted for the Charterhouse principally because I really did not want to be located at Mid Levels and be reliant on the hotel bus/taxis if the escalator was running in the 'wrong' direction. My review of the escalator having visited confimed my worst fears as the hotel would not be convenient for my purposes.

The Charterhouse is further away from Central and does not benefit from a hotel bus but it is around the corner from the trams and a ten minute walk from Wan Chai MTR. Upon check in, I was informed that I was being upgraded but apart from the provision of a kettle and tea and coffee, I could not identify any difference to other rooms and I think being told you are being upgraded to a Signature room is standard practice for customer service. When I similarly asked if being upgraded also meant that I was being offered a free breakfast, I was politely told 'no'. A porter showed me to my room on the 17th floor and it was perfectly satisfactory for me. Free wi-fi is provided and reception is excellent.

Just a couple of points to bear in mind. I was happy to eat out but one day I decided to take up the option to have dinner which was advertised by a notice on my desk. It said that I should phone to book but I decided to go into the dining room but when it seemed clear that only the buffet was being served, I asked about the set dinner. I was informed that this was only available to be taken in my room. Now I would not welcome eating alone in my room apart from the desk being too high/chair too low. I could have taken the buffet but was not what I was looking for.

As soon as I entered my room, I noticed the adjoining room door. This was not a problem at all until my last night when the occupant of the room next door insisted on having the tv volume up loud until 1am and of course the noise came straight through the door.

These points are just to make people aware and if I was to return to Hong Kong in the future, the Charterhouse would be my first choice.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank binonatrip
Reviewed May 18, 2013

My five nights in total at this hotel turned out to be a fantastic experience. This is my first time in Hong Kong and this hotel really impressed me, would definately return and recommend to friends commimg to Hong Kong.This is a little hotel located in the centre in Causeway Bay and Wan Chai, the location is great and it only takes about 5 mimutes walk to Causeway Bay MTR station and Times Square and plus another 3 minutes to Hysan Place (most shopping mall close very late in HK, you can still able to shopping until 10:30pm, it is great!) There is a wet market nearby, I can always get some different kinds of fresh fruit during the way back to hotel from Causeway Bay MTR station, that is another great experience to walk around the local wet market to experience Hong Kong.The breakfast we had included was pretty good - a large selection to choose from , congee counter, dim sum, noodles, some local food, toast, cereal, coffee, tea, juice and of couse including my favourite egg counter, and I really miss it!Besides the great location, the other best thing in this hotel is the free Wifi service, i can connect to the free wifi by just entering some basic information, it is really awsome that I can enjoy the free wifi with this price that i didn't have it in other countries with higher rates.I thoroughly recommend this hotel as its cheaper then other hotels but you can get everything you want. Definitely worth it.

• Stayed: March 2013
2  Thank MacySandyYap
tonywongHongKong, Manager at The Charterhouse Causeway Bay Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 21, 2013

Dear Guest,

We are glad to learn that the overall product and services had met your expectation and your kind words made on your overall experiences will be shared to our employees.
Indeed our location will provide easy access to many places of interest and shopping with both Causeway Bay and Wanchai MTR stations nearby.

Once again thank you for providing us this valuable feedback and we shall look forward to welcoming you again.

Reviewed May 17, 2013

For the price, The Charterhouse is quite decent in its neighborhood. I stayed at its "signature room" before and it was modern and contemporary. This time, I stayed in a standard suite for 2 nights and found it comfortable.

Although the room was dated, it had necessary amenities and the bed was comfortable. Unlike others in Hong Kong, the room was considered spacious. The breakfast was average. The service was great, from bell men, front desk, housekeeping to manager.

The location is convenient with everything in walking distance. The only slight problem was the key card did not work after 1 day. I would return to this hotel if coming back to Causeway Bay or Wanchai area.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo

Dear Guest,

We are glad to learn that the overall product and services had met your expectation, generally our location will provide easy access to many places of interest and shopping with both Causeway Bay and Wanchai MTR stations nearby.

Reviewed May 8, 2013

This hotel was chosen for me by a business partner so I had not looked at any reviews beforehand and I have not looked before writing this review.
The reception at the hotel was around 12:30 in the early morning and though it seemed a little slow, I think it was more my jetlag or the awe and wonder of seeing Hong Kong for the first time at night before reaching the hotel. Nevertheless I was in the room very quickly and into the comfortable bed in no time - I was not asked if I wanted a porter to take my luggage to the room but since I was travelling quite light this did not irk!
The room (17th Floor) was not the best I have experienced and was a little worse for wear but let me say that I didn't think it was dirty, just tired. Housekeeper on my floor was quick to react to my requests to clean room early and for supplies!
I ate breakfast on three days and I found the food from the many buffet stations in the restaurant very tasty and value for money. There is a selection to suit different ethnic tastes here so don't hold back! I did try one afternoon to take a glass of wine in the bar on the first floor, but after waiting in vain for 5 minutes for someone to serve me I gave it up as a bad job and went someplace else!
I should also mention that this place seems very popular with tour groups... so breakfasts can be a little noisy (the Americans arrived on my last day there) and the foyer area can often be described as "bedlam" with the noisy chattering of Chinese tourist waiting for their tour bus to arrive... but let me say that this was the public areas and the room was pretty sound proof and I didn't experience any outside noises whilst in my room.
I would stay here again if for no other reason than the proximity to things in Wan Chai and the reasonable rates...
All in all... not a bad place to stay!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business

Dear Guest,

We are glad to learn that the overall product and services had met your expectation, in general we are continuingly improving our guestrooms thru our on-going rejuvenation program and this will enhance the in-room experience. Perhaps you may make me your direct contact on your next visit and I will certainly provide you the rejuvenated room.

Reviewed April 27, 2013

10 minute walk to Times Square shopping area.
Plenty of eateries close by.
Staff are a great help in flagging down taxis - I never had to wait more than 2/3 minutes
The hotel offers a complementary shuttle to the exhibition centre. In my opinion they could do with widening this service to other locations in Central. It is something that some of the other hotels do.
The hotel itself is adequate. Reception area, restaurant and bar good. The rooms themselves could probably do with a bit of a refurb - but generally fine. Generally rooms are small, however, this is pretty standard in Hong Kong unless you spend considerably more - ether in another hotel or upgrading to a corner suite
I travel on business to Hong Kong a few times a year and this is the first time I have stayed in the Charter House. Would I stay here again - probably (depending on whether they keep the price right)

Room Tip: The higher up you go in Hong Kong the more likely you are to get a good view
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business

Dear Guest,

We are glad to learn that the overall product and services had met your expectation, our location will provide easy access to many places of interest and shopping with both Causeway Bay and Wanchai MTR stations nearby.

Reviewed April 27, 2013

This hotel is on the perfect location that can access to Causeway bay subway station in walking distance. Everything are nice, good food and good service. One thing had to be highlighted is this hotel provides free wifi throughout the hotel which I cannot had this in the other hotels before. (although I think free wifi should be included in other hotels as well). Worth recommend!

• Stayed: April 2013

Dear Guest,

We are glad to learn that the overall product and services had met your expectation especially our ideal location which will provide easy access to many places of interest.