“"You get what you pay for"”

The Charterhouse Causeway Bay Hotel
Ranked #182 of 719 Hotels in Hong Kong
London, United Kingdom
“"You get what you pay for"”
Reviewed January 23, 2013

This is not the type of hotel I would normally choose to stay in, however it was booked for me by my company. It is a standard 3 star hotel, with small rooms, old architecture, but in a reasonably good location. My room was a superior twin room, just big enough for one, two would have been a crowd. The bed was clean, the room was serviced well, although the aircon made the air smell strange. Everything seemed to work in my room, the TV, the hot water in the shower and the wifi. Breakfast was not included in my package, so I ordered room service, the food was adequate and fine, but delivered without finesse, a little expensive. There was no view from my room, other than other tower blocks. It would not be a hotel that I would choose to stay in for a holiday, but for 1 or 2 nights on business it did the job. Reception was efficient and fine when I checked in. Staff seemed helpful, especially with getting taxi's in the morning. Would I stay here again? probably not. In Hong Kong you tend to get what you pay for.

Room Tip: high floor
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
tonywongHongKong, Manager at The Charterhouse Causeway Bay Hotel, responded to this review, January 31, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write on Tripadvisor. We truly appreciate your feedback made on our product and service.

We are glad to learn that the overall service had met your expectation, in fact we offer different travelers’ needs with different range of rooms product especially our signature room which are much more spacious in size with new décor that may meet your preferences, please share with our reservation agent of your selection on your next booking.

Once again thank you for providing us this valuable feedback and we shall look forward to welcoming you and your friends again.

On behalf of Hotel Management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
UK
Reviewed January 21, 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights in October.
On arrival, the reception staff were quite slow, which was frustrating after a long flight & transfer from the airport.
Although the room was ok, it did need some attention to the wallpaper in the bedroom, where there must have been a leak from the bathroom at some point in the past.
There is a good restaurant with a buffet system in the hotel, although there are plenty of other restaurants nearby, with very good service.
The hotel is midway between two underground stations, so is well-placed for exploring the north of Hong Kong. The buses to the south of the island run past the hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank scorpio001
tonywongHongKong, Manager at The Charterhouse Causeway Bay Hotel, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
Dear Guest,

We are sorry for the inconvenience you experienced upon your arrival at the reception, part of our best practices we always pre-allocate rooms for our guest prior to expected arrival time and this could had been affected by queued at the reception during peak hours.

Rest assured we shall review our work procedures to minimize the waiting time, also we shall alert our Chief Engineer to pay special attention on the wallpaper in all our guestrooms thru our daily maintenance of room rejuvenation program for improvement.

We are ideally located between both Causeway Bay and Wanchai MTR stations which will provide easy access to many attractions and shopping, once again thank you for providing us this valuable feedback and we shall look forward to your return visit soon.

Berkeley, California
Reviewed January 18, 2013

Reasonably priced hotel that seems to welcome tour groups. Rooms are small but very clean. Breakfast buffet was excellent with multiple options. Hotel is close to subway. Concierge very helpful and accurate with tips and suggestions.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank ggobob
tonywongHongKong, Manager at The Charterhouse Causeway Bay Hotel, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Dear Guest,

We are glad to learn that the overall product and services had met your expectation and ultimately with our great locality.

Once again thank you for providing us this valuable feedback and we shall look forward to welcoming you again.

Jonkoping, Sweden
Reviewed January 15, 2013

When it comes to hotel stays, I am not particular picky as long it fulfils my basic needs. Such as room preferences (non smoking and no corner rooms), water supply (hot water) and a good night sleep (no disturbance). Charterhouse has great staff witch everyone are very guest oriented, however the product itself are outdated.

The problem started already at check in, as I after booking my room online, found out during check-in that all single rooms apparently are corner rooms, located at the very end and beginning at each floor. For personal preferences, I try to avoid these rooms for all means, but the front desk personnel could only offer me to move to a center room if I upgraded the reservation to a twin room, which I neglected. Once settled in, I found out there was no hot water in the shower, which took them 30+ min to fix the problem, 30+min seems not like a long time, but it feels like an eternity if you had a exhausted trip longing for a shower and some sleep. After fixing the hot water problem, everytime I need to take a shower I need to put on the water in advance for about 5 minutes to get a decent temperature, and the reason is… because it is a corner room!

My problems didn’t stop there, as I got woke up 3.30 am in the morning by noises like someone was drilling in the bathroom for about 15 minutes. I assume the reason is because someone took a late night shower from the room above and the noises came from the old water pipes. The very next day I insisted for a room change, which I got showed to another corner room located at a different floor, but this time there was no wifi signals in the room. That was for me the very last drop of water over the barrel…, and I spoke to the Manager on duty, this time I was offered a free upgrade to a bigger room, located at the center. However, the first room they tried to switch me to, was a smoking room, the second one with smoke and air freshener smell in the room as they tried to cover up the smell of smoke from the previous guest smoking in the room…

I am now sitting in the room awaiting for the smell to disappear and same for my stay at the CHARTERHOUSE… this was a very disappointed experience although the staff tried their best to accommodate my needs. For all of you that travel alone, non-smoker and need to take hot water showers… find another place to stay.

Tip for the management, although you all a very accommodating, just try to go an extra mile sending up someone to check the rooms that everything is in order before sending the guest. It is quite frustrated to change room 4-5 times for something as simple as hot water and wifi signals. Kudos to Kenny for your assistance.

Room Tip: Avoid single rooms!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
5 Thank Mac K
Dear Guest,

We are sorry to learn of your unfortunate experienced that had occurred staying in our single room on your 1st night due to the hot water supply. Apparently we suspected the noises were probably generated from the high water pressure in the night. The staff attended to your room change the next day would have been more thorough in checking the room condition including the Wifi and your preference for non-smoking room.

Nevertheless, please be rest assured that your related comments will be reinforced in all our staff trainings to ensure our ultimate commitment is carry out in providing great values for all our guests on our products and services.

Once again thank you for providing us these valuable feedbacks and we hope this incident will not marred your overall impressions on our hotel and certainly looking forward to your return visit soon.

Travelers are raving about these Hong Kong hotels

Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed January 9, 2013

We recently spent 3 nights in Hong Kong and were pleasantly surprised by the Charterhouse Causeway Bay Hotel. Yes the rooms may be a little small but not as small as we expected after reading reviews! The size was perfectly adequate and even had a bathtub. The staff were wonderful, from check in to check out we only encountered lovely helpful people. The buffet was awesome and really well priced. The location was extremely convenient, just a few minutes walk to Time Square and just down the end of the street to the food market and lovely little bakery. We travelled with another couple and we have all agreed we would stay here again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

We are glad to learn that the overall product and services had met your expectation and your kind words made on our services will be shared our employees and supervisors.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 6, 2013

We booked the Charterhouse almost exclusively for the location and it was one of the cheapest options for us in Hong Kong. The check in process was quick and efficient, the staff are courteous and friendly.

We booked the standard room. First impressions of the room are that it is incredibly small for two people; it is probably smaller than anywhere else I have experienced in the world except for perhaps Tokyo. That said, the size was just about reasonable for two, it would have been more than adequate for one.

The room itself is clearly very dated, very very old furnishings and the decor is a little shabby. Saying that, I didn't have any major problem with the decor personally, but others may disagree.

A nice touch was the large flat screen television which had just been added. Unfortunately WiFi was not included in the price, something which is essential for me these days. The hotel confusingly includes WiFi in the rate *if* you book through them or selected websites, however we were staying at this hotel as part of an itinerary set by our travel agent (Kuoni), so we didn't have any choice. The rooms had good air condition which is of course essential in Hong Kong, however there seemed to be a problem with ours in that the thermostat did not work, which meant the room was almost always *too* cold.

The hotel also includes two restaurants and bars. We only visited the sports bar in the basement, not too bad but nothing special.

The location is certainly a winner here, right in between Wan Chai and Causeway Bay, a nice walk away from either Metro station. The surrounding streets are bustling with a high density of shops, restaurants and markets - its a great way to get to know the city.

Overall as long as you get a good price, the location is fantastic to be right in the middle of the action. For me, the location is more important than the rooms when in Hong Kong.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

We are sorry for the inconvenience you experienced that was affected due to your room size, apparently we offer different travelers’ needs with various room types including décor and preferences that may meet your selection, perhaps you may let our reservation colleague knows of your preference to your next trip.

In our recently months we already revamped our Wifi pricing structure and providing complimentary Wifi access to all our in-guests and outlet patrons at no cost, this is part of the added value initiative incorporated to our product offering. Your other related comments will be taken seriously for further improvements.

Once again thank you for providing us this valuable feedback and we shall look forward to your return visit soon.

Banbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 3, 2013

This was not the hotel I was due to stay at, but due to a problem with a booking via lastminute.com I found myself staying at The Charterhouse. I found all the staff to be considerate and friendly and as a stranded visitor somewhat frazzled and on the verge of ill temper after 20 hrs of travelling, they were great. Sure, the accommodation was not the cheapest, but in downtown HK nothing is cheap! My room was spacious, clean, the linen was good, and the service I received excellent. There is free WIFI and I found the location to be good too. I would recommend this as a good place to stay. Although this not a high class hotel, the reception has a faded sort of opulence that I found very appealing. Without doubt, the most impressive asset of the hotel has are the friendly, courteous staff.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Dear Guest,

We are glad to learn that the overall product and services had met your expectation and your kind words shared to us will definitely motivate our employees to strive for higher level of service and providing great values to all our guests.