“When I go to Hong Kong, I stay at the Charterhouse”

The Charterhouse Causeway Bay Hotel
Ranked #184 of 718 Hotels in Hong Kong
Shanghai, China
“When I go to Hong Kong, I stay at the Charterhouse”
Reviewed December 25, 2012

Got stuck in Hong Kong for the holidays while waiting for my new Chinese visa. This is not my first time in Hong Kong and was surprised by all the negative comments of this venue.

If I recall few years ago the internet was way overpriced so I was glad to discover that now they have a good free wifi access and unlike some other hotels, you can connect all your devices (smartphone, tablet and computer) at the same time with the same login.

The staff there is very nice, including the maids. Rooms are clean. This is not a fancy hotel, it's a budget hotel and I think that in term of facility and services, it has to be regarded as such, so I'm happy to stay here and I will come again and recommend it to my friends and colleagues.

Room Tip: Book in advance on their websites so you have the quotation before getting there.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
tonywongHongKong, Manager at The Charterhouse Causeway Bay Hotel, responded to this review, January 1, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write on Tripadvisor. We truly appreciate your feedback made on our product and service.

We are glad to learn that the overall product and services had met your expectation with our newly enhancement of Wifi system that could also accommodate more than 5 devices per user per room. Our ultimate objective is to provide great values for all our guests on our products and services and creating a different experience of stay.

Once again thank you for providing us this valuable feedback and we shall look forward to welcoming you and your friends again.

On behalf of Hotel Management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
YORK
Reviewed December 1, 2012

My office made a last minute booking for me for 3 rooms without fully checking the price. When I checked in and was told the rate was more than GBP £250 per room per night then I really felt these people had taken advantage. We arrived late & tired and it was obvious that we really did not want to start looking elsewhere so late in the evening. However from the 'tired' state of the lobby I decided that we would find somewhere elsewhere to stay as it was obvious that we were not going to get value for money. Then the insolent chap on the desk pointed out our colleague had given them his credit card details and we would be charged for the rooms in full anyway, whether we stayed or not. I was told I was given a room upgrade but upgrade from what I do not know. On entering the room the smell was disgusting - damp and like a sewer. The room had obviously been refurbished in recent times but overall to a poor standard. The size of the room was what I would have expected had I paid half the price.
Sleep was near impossible as there was a huge background humming noise which after investigation was coming from an electrical cupboard in the room and not possible to turn off.
This is a budget hotel so if you pay budget prices then you would probably tolerate it's short comings as a result of it's convenient location.However it is not a 5 star in any respect and should not be allowed to charge 5 star prices. Will never stay there again and give now label this hotel as providing the poorest value for money of any hotel I have ever stayed in - anywhere.

Room Tip: Avoid this hotel altogether
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Kingfisher888
tonywongHongKong, Manager at The Charterhouse Causeway Bay Hotel, responded to this review, December 4, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write on Tripadvisor. We truly appreciate your feedback made on our product and pricing.

It was very unfortunate to learn of your disappointment over the pricing despite with the complimentary upgrade to business floor for the rate accorded. Apparently the room pricing fluctuating daily and we anticipated it was probably the high seasons for your preference dates and this could have affected you to pay more for your accommodation.

Nevertheless, please accept our sincere apology for the disappointment including the noise interruption and rest assured your comment are taken seriously for review and hope you woud allow us another opportunity to serve you better.

Once again thank you for providing us this valuable feedback and we shall look forward to welcoming you again.

Travelers are raving about these Hong Kong hotels

Shanghai, Shanghai, China
Reviewed November 28, 2012

I stayed here for two nights to get a travel visa for China and do some shopping. Great location for all of these things. The China Resources Building on Harbour Road is a five minute walk; shopping at SOGO and Times Square and the Causeway tube station is also an easy five minute walk.

The hotel itself is pleasant enough, its definitely reasonably priced compared to others in Hong Kong and has a decent sports bar in the basement. The single room was very small and I had a single bed which did my back no favors. There was a desk to work from, air conditioning and free internet and some international TV channels. Water pressure and temperature for the shower was good and they provide shower gel and shampoo dispensers.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank AaronOC
Dear Guest,

We are glad to learn that the overall product and service had met your expectation and making your stay more memorable.

We are ideally located near the shopping malls that provide easy access to lots of attractions and also within walking distance to MTR stations.

Lyon, France
Reviewed November 24, 2012

Went to HK for an exhibition. The hotel was the cheapest we could find and within walking distance to the convention centre.

Positive points =

- Location was perfect for us. Easy to get a taxi too and when we left we took their shuttle bus to the airport. Very convenient.
- Breakfast was ok too

Negative points =

- No hot water in the evenings. I had to wait 10 mins before I had any hot water. Hot water was better in the evening though.
- Wifi connection wasn't very good in my room. Not convenient for work!

All in all I would go there again as it was convenient for work and within walking distance to the exhibition. In any case, we got what we paid for!

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

We are glad to learn that the overall product and service had met your expectation except for the hot water and Wifi issues.

Please accept our apology for the inconvenience caused and rest assured your related comment will be addressed with our key personnel for improvement especially on the Wifi access.

Hong Kong, China
Reviewed November 22, 2012

She everytime helps us in any situation and especially in looking for shopping malls and enjoyment, business enquiries.

She is a pleasant lady and helpful and attentive to our enquiries with patience even though our English is not fluent. Her devoted service and positive working attitude is an asset to The Charterhouse Causeway Bay and I have no doubt to recommend my friends and business to stay at this hotel to experience her warm and welcome excellent service.

Hotel is in good location. Room is neat and tidy.
Breakfast at the restaurant Gazebo is good.
Good quality bed for sleeping.
Front Office staff also good.

Regards,
Bake & Gosha

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

We are glad to learn that the overall product and service had met your expectation in particular our staff Ms Gorretti Ma from Business Centre had went beyond in her service to make your stay more memorable.

We are strategically located near the shopping malls that provide easy access to many places of interest and shopping.

Brno, Czech Republic
Reviewed November 9, 2012

Oh well. I didn't have much expectations when traveling to Hong-Kong as I know that the HK hotel rooms are small but what I found here was horrible.
Restaurant and stuff was good but room was something I'm unaccustomed in hotels with that price.
The walls had stains. The ceiling near door had some sort of leak from AC (I hope!). Furniture was very old and with scratches all around. Fridge smelled bad with stains inside. And there was ash from cigarettes in bathroom.
So what to say? It's really not worth for that very high price. And the 5* hotel in Ningbo where I was just before HK was much cheaper with completely different feelings as you can see in my previous review.

Room Tip: Choose different hotel, really.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

We are sorry for the inconvenience caused you were put through on your recent experienced with us in particular the room cleanliness and maintenance issues. In fact we are currently on a rejuvenation program to improve the overall of guestrooms on furnishing, carpet, amenities and etc to enhance guest experiences, your related comments made to us will be taken seriously for improvements including the cleanliness.

Once again thank you for providing us this valuable feedback and we shall look forward to the opportunity to serve you better and I will be glad to be at your service.

Reviewed November 5, 2012 via mobile

The hotel is ideal for business travel, close to Airport station, Fair, shopping mall - Times Square or Sogo, breakfast ok - fair coffee, staff ok, price is far too high. Close is a very good Thai restaurant and a Turkish one.

• Stayed October 2012
tonywongHongKong, Manager at The Charterhouse Causeway Bay Hotel, responded to this review, December 12, 2012
Dear Guest,

We are glad to learn that the overall product and service had met your expectation and ultimately referring to the extensive transportation system and nearby shopping which will bring you great values.