“Perfect location for work - u get what u pay for!”

The Charterhouse Causeway Bay Hotel
Ranked #188 of 726 Hotels in Hong Kong
Reviewed November 24, 2012

Went to HK for an exhibition. The hotel was the cheapest we could find and within walking distance to the convention centre.

Positive points =

- Location was perfect for us. Easy to get a taxi too and when we left we took their shuttle bus to the airport. Very convenient.
- Breakfast was ok too

Negative points =

- No hot water in the evenings. I had to wait 10 mins before I had any hot water. Hot water was better in the evening though.
- Wifi connection wasn't very good in my room. Not convenient for work!

All in all I would go there again as it was convenient for work and within walking distance to the exhibition. In any case, we got what we paid for!

Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
tonywongHongKong, Manager at The Charterhouse Causeway Bay Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 4, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write on Tripadvisor. We truly appreciate your feedback made on our product and service.

We are glad to learn that the overall product and service had met your expectation except for the hot water and Wifi issues.

Please accept our apology for the inconvenience caused and rest assured your related comment will be addressed with our key personnel for improvement especially on the Wifi access.

Once again thank you for providing us this valuable feedback and we shall look forward to welcoming you again.

Reviewed November 22, 2012

She everytime helps us in any situation and especially in looking for shopping malls and enjoyment, business enquiries.

She is a pleasant lady and helpful and attentive to our enquiries with patience even though our English is not fluent. Her devoted service and positive working attitude is an asset to The Charterhouse Causeway Bay and I have no doubt to recommend my friends and business to stay at this hotel to experience her warm and welcome excellent service.

Hotel is in good location. Room is neat and tidy.
Breakfast at the restaurant Gazebo is good.
Good quality bed for sleeping.
Front Office staff also good.

Regards,
Bake & Gosha

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business

Dear Guest,

We are glad to learn that the overall product and service had met your expectation in particular our staff Ms Gorretti Ma from Business Centre had went beyond in her service to make your stay more memorable.

We are strategically located near the shopping malls that provide easy access to many places of interest and shopping.

Reviewed November 9, 2012

Oh well. I didn't have much expectations when traveling to Hong-Kong as I know that the HK hotel rooms are small but what I found here was horrible.
Restaurant and stuff was good but room was something I'm unaccustomed in hotels with that price.
The walls had stains. The ceiling near door had some sort of leak from AC (I hope!). Furniture was very old and with scratches all around. Fridge smelled bad with stains inside. And there was ash from cigarettes in bathroom.
So what to say? It's really not worth for that very high price. And the 5* hotel in Ningbo where I was just before HK was much cheaper with completely different feelings as you can see in my previous review.

Room Tip: Choose different hotel, really.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business

Dear Guest,

We are sorry for the inconvenience caused you were put through on your recent experienced with us in particular the room cleanliness and maintenance issues. In fact we are currently on a rejuvenation program to improve the overall of guestrooms on furnishing, carpet, amenities and etc to enhance guest experiences, your related comments made to us will be taken seriously for improvements including the cleanliness.

Once again thank you for providing us this valuable feedback and we shall look forward to the opportunity to serve you better and I will be glad to be at your service.

Reviewed November 5, 2012 via mobile

The hotel is ideal for business travel, close to Airport station, Fair, shopping mall - Times Square or Sogo, breakfast ok - fair coffee, staff ok, price is far too high. Close is a very good Thai restaurant and a Turkish one.

• Stayed: October 2012
tonywongHongKong, Manager at The Charterhouse Causeway Bay Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 12, 2012

Dear Guest,

We are glad to learn that the overall product and service had met your expectation and ultimately referring to the extensive transportation system and nearby shopping which will bring you great values.

Reviewed October 27, 2012

Ten minute stroll from Times Square (a shopping mall) we enjoyed our stay here. Okay the rooms were on the small size, but after reading some reviews here, we were expecting even smaller. The decor was acceptable, and the room clean & bug free. My only niggle would be the bathroom grouting could do with a service & a poor amount of tv channels.
The staff were very pleasant and cheerful and understood English.
There's a hotel bar (expensive) plus their Champs bar which is open to the general public. The buffet restaurant does a good breakfast for 77HKD (99 at weekends) which will fill you up for most of the day.
Our window view was the same as our NY hotel stay last year... Buildings. A minor minus in a good stay. We would definitely consider staying again.
We got a discount for booking online (which I discovered after sending them a general email)

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write on Tripadvisor. We truly appreciate your feedback made on our product and services.

We are glad to learn that the overall product and service had met your expectation, apparently we offer different travelers’ needs with different room types that have various sizes and perhaps you may let our reservation colleague knows of your preference to your next trip.

It was to our surprise to learn of your feedback on bathroom grouting since the regular routine maintenance was carried out daily, rest assured we will definitely look into this issue with the preventive measures.

We regret that we are unable to provide you with more selection of TV channels, however your feedback will be re-assess for improvement soon.

Once again thank you for providing us this valuable feedback and we shall look forward to serve you better on your return stay.

Reviewed October 11, 2012

This was a bad hotel experience. A friend has told me the property was fine and I went along with it. Having seen the very special "S" and "Signature" type rooms on their separate website, I though that perhaps and older hotel had refurbished 1 floor and that it would be the exception in an older property.

The SIGNATURE rooms have NO WINDOWS. You read that correctly; their HIGH LEVEL SUPER UPGRADE BUSINESS FRIENDLY rooms HAVE NO WINDOWS. It is located on the 2ND FLOOR.

What do you get in a SIGNATURE room on the 2nd floor ????

1. Upgraded Hallway trying to seem cool and modern - however echoes all interactions between your neighbor and his negotiations with his nightly guests from Wanchai.
2. Room smelled heavily of Mildew.
3. Room was dark and depressing. No natural light. Limited artificial light. Cold.
4. Dirty countertop that needs to be washed.
5. Average bed. Average small sitting area.
6. Tiny tiny tiny 1 seat "business center" with NO PRINTER. Printing requires you to take the ancient lifts to the basement next to the executive offices.

In summary, you get NOTHING SPECIAL. It is a lesser quality room in my opinion than most of their REGULAR ROOMS. The Signature marketing is effectively photographic lies. After 2 nights in this dreadful Signature room FEELING LIKE A COMPLETE FOOL for having paid this price for what I had; I decided to pack up and demand alternatives.

HOTEL PROVIDED ALTERNATIVES

After complaining and arguing back and forth since I had made the mistake of booking 10 nights at this property. The hotel provided some alternatives.

I had a look at their typical and generally cheap "S" Non-Signature room on higher floor ("S" and "Signature" are mutually exclusive descriptors). Nothing special and worn, but at least there was light.

I was also shown one of the Suite rooms. Now, the reader may presume the suite to be an upgrade but the original hotel offer price on the Suite was the same as the "SIGNATURE" price. The Suite was well aged and wreaked of years of smoking in the room. Feeling like I had little choice left, I had the staff remove the screws on the window to force some fresh air in and stay in the room.

The Suites have a small sitting area and desk. It was a nice room and had some light. Nonetheless, after several days in the winter with the windows open for any non-smoke air; I ultimately checked out with the room and all my belongings wreaking of smoke still.

I would also note that the bed was SUFFICIENTLY OLD and WARPED that I removed the bed sheets and slept on the floor in the room each night. Of my 30+ visits to HK, this was the absolute and unconditionally WORST property that I have stayed at.

I highly recommend avoiding this property. Most of the properties that I have concerns with, I would still consider returning to if need be. Between all parties our group billed close to 20,000 HKD on that trip -- management offered no form of refund or discount for the issues. NOT 1$. They act as though they are concerned, but not enough to warrant even a 1% discount or even a complimentary breakfast for the issues. They know what their property is.

Room Tip: Inspect room before paying.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank B P

Dear Guest,

We are sorry for all the inconvenience caused you had experienced on your recent stay in our signature rooms which was definitely uncompromising although with our aimed is to provide great experience and values for all our guests.

Apparently we learn from occasional incident that our front line staff could have oversight to mention to you our signature floor is located on lower level and explaining the windows mechanism should you need to access the window opening.

Nevertheless please accept our sincere apology and be rest assured that your others related comments especially on the cleanliness will be reinforce in our staff trainings to ensure they are competence in providing values to all our guests in any circumstances.

We shall look into these areas deeply for improvement and once again we regret
to learn of your unpleasant experience and we hope you would allow us another opportunity to serve you better.

Thank you for providing us this valuable feedback and we shall look forward to your return stay.

Reviewed October 9, 2012

This review was long due. I stayed at this hotel during a business trip to Hong Kong. I booked it after seeing the reviews on Tripadvisor. Hotel rooms are cramped, some of the staff at front desk are rude and the breakfast buffet menu gets on your nerves in a few days. Housekeeping staff is efficient and so is the concierge. But I was taken a back by the receptionists rudeness. I reached the hotel at around 11.30 PM, I payed and put my luggage with the concierge thinking that I'll be back around 2 PM which is the official check-in time. But due to lack of sleep I wasn't feeling well so I walked in at 1.45 PM and asked the receptionist if I could get the room. Very rudely she replied that room will not be given before 2 PM and when I went again at 2.10 PM to ask for the room keys she said the room is not ready wait till 3.30 PM. I explained to her that this is unacceptable and I am not feeling well. And so miraculously a room appeared and she gave me the keys. After seeing this behavior, I decided to find myself another hotel. Which I did and am happy with my decision. HK has lot of good hotels so think before you book this one.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank Geet_Kamra
tonywongHongKong, Manager at The Charterhouse Causeway Bay Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 11, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write on Tripadvisor. We truly appreciate your feedback made on our staff service.

We deeply sorry for the behavior you had experienced upon your arrival which is uncompromising, rest assured your comment had been taken seriously with our team at the reception for improvement.

Nevertheless, we wish you would allow us another opportunity to serve you better and kindly make me your direct contact if you decide to stay with us again on your next stay.