We have often thought about staying at Silvermine Beach Hotel when visiting Lantau and finally got round to having a mini-break (from HK island, all of 20 mins away by ferry) this week. Reviews suggested this was a faded 3* and over-priced. However, with minimal searching online we managed to get a room for HK$750 (GBP 60), with breakfast included and with no additional charges for children (2.5 and 11 months) who shared a very large bed with us.
Our room was clean and tidy, if basic. Two negatives - no soap in the bathroom dispensers and, inexplicably, despite having a half sea view the windows were sealed shut. Hong Kongers have an irrational fear of the cold, but considering it was 22C even in December some fresh air from the sea would have been nice.
Breakfast was fine - nothing special, but perfectly decent (western options are basic English breakfast and choices of cereals). The restaurant looks to have been recently renovated but again, utterly bizarrely considering it overlooks the sea, seemed to have windows that had no means of opening.
Paying any more than HK$1,000 for the room we had would have lead to an average score, but at HK$750, with no hidden charges (other than 10% tax), nice service and breakfast included, is a great deal in Hong Kong. Highly recommended for anyone looking to see a completely different side of HK from Central/Wan Chai/Causeway Bay/TST.
Gym advertised on website was 'closed for fixing'.
Mui Wo offers a fantastic alternative way of life in Hong Kong. The paths behind the town, passing a 400 year old temple, Silvermine Cave and Silvermine Waterfall make for a great family exploration.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Whether you are looking for an escape from the hectic city life or for replenishing yourself with a relaxing vacation, the Silvermine Beach Resort in Mui Wo on the eastern coast of Lantau Island is just the place for you. Silvermine Beach Resort is a distinctive beachfront property that boasts 128 guest rooms, beautifully landscaped gardens, outdoor swimming pool, gym, sauna, steam room, as well as meeting and event facilities. The Hotel is just ten-minute walking distance from Mui Wo ferry pier, only 30-minute ferry from Central, with public bus routes to Tung Chung and Hong Kong International Airport, is excellent to travelers for both sightseeing and vacation on Lantau island with Ngong Ping, Big Buddha, Tai O and Disneyland etc. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, Expedia, Ctrip TA, Hotwire, Priceline, Cheap Tickets, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly and HRS so you can book your Silvermine Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Silvermine Beach Hong Kong
- Hotel Silvermine Beach
- Silvermine Beach Hotel Hong Kong
- Silvermine Hotel
- Silvermine Beach Resort Hong Kong