“Perfect location”

The Salisbury-YMCA of Hong Kong
Ranked #41 of 721 Hotels in Hong Kong
Reviewed February 16, 2013

This hotel was in the perfect location, easy walking distance to everything in Kowloon and very close to subways. There is also heaps of nice restraunts close by. The room was plenty big enough and the room service was great. Our rooms were always spotless when we returned. We were quite disappointed that the hotels facilities like the gym, squash courts etc were not free and were quite expensive, we even found that court hire and the gym was cheaper at Kowloon park! Which was only a 5 minute walk. The pool was free which was good. We arrived late with heavy backpacks and the bell boys did not offer assistance which was a bit slack and the reception staff were not overly friendly. Overall was great value for money and the location was just perfect.

• Stayed: January 2013
2  Thank Lozzzy1
There are newer reviews for The Salisbury-YMCA of Hong Kong

Reviewed February 15, 2013

Great value hotel in the heart of Hong Kong! Easy access to MTR station via the subway. Delicious buffet breakfast served up each morning is a fantastic way to start the day. Highly recommend this hotel and would stay there on my next trip to HK.

Room Tip: Try and get a harbour view room if you can. The partial view room is great too.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank AustraliaBecstar
Reviewed February 14, 2013

Don't be deceived by it's YMCA title. This is an excellent hotel. We were fortunate to have a harbour view room which was lovely and meant we could watch the evening light show in comfort. The concierge service was very helpful and organized our trips for us. The buffet lunch in the upstairs restaurant was delicious.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank pauline m
Reviewed February 13, 2013

The hotel´s location is excellent. You´re a couple of blocks from the star ferry pier and the main shopping streets in Kowloon, not to mention Kowloon Park.
The staff was always very friendly and helpfull, although a couple of them had some problems speaking english.
The rooms are ok, but not great. A bit old, small bathrooms and a toilet that wouldn´t flush to save it´s life. Had no problems changing rooms, however.

Room Tip: Standard rooms have no view to the Bay. Would consider getting one with an ocean view depending on t...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed February 12, 2013

I am reviewing the dorms on the 9th floor of YMCA Salisbury.

Imagine staying in Paris on the Champs Elysees and only paying 30 euros for a bed, this is the equivalent. YMCA Salisbury is located right at the southern tip of Kowloon near the Star ferry to Hong Kong island and the epicentre of the Hong Kong shopping. I stayed 5 nights and for 3 of them I had the 4 bed dorm to myself and this was over the CNY, Chinese New Year. I could see the CNY parade but not the fireworks from the end of the corridor windows. I only had to go 10 yards outside to see the fire works display and the massive echo boom from the mountainous HK island backdrop.
Most people think of Hong Kong as hot and sticky, but not in February, it aint, the locals all wear coats, it is about 12-16 celsius at night and 16-22 during the day. Long sleeves is a necessity.
The YMCA Salisbury is 50 yards from the A21 or Airport Express bus stop coming from the airport, the hotel is easy to find although the hotel signage is not lit, it is on the last road next to the harbour. It has 3 entrances during the day, 1 at night (back entrance).

When you go inside the hotel it has a slightly faded grand hotel look, complete with Concierge service, restaurants and everything ! There are swimming pools and fitness areas , but you must pay extra for these, and the HK dollar is mighty strong in 2013 ! Breakfast is around 15 USD, and lunch, the same. Backpackers may think that a little steep in price, i did, i had quite a few Mcdonalds saver meals when i was there.
The receptionist treated me as if she expected me to trash the room, and had the typical bad chinese attitude to guests. I am a respectable 50 year old man. I felt a little surprised at her slight hostility. You have to give 150 HK dollars deposit for the strange key with a twisty mechanism. The secret is to get the key the right way round.

Inside the room there was aircon and heating (it was needed 1 night out of the 5) and the windows are screwed shut. The dorm bed is top quality, a solid wooden frame that needed the thick solid mattress. There is a wardrobe, a daily towel is provided , the bathroom has liquid soap.
The maid knocks on the door regularly after 09:30 and one time a manager suddenly entered my room without knocking to check who was staying, typical chinese attitude, customer comes last after the hotel "system". I grew very annoyed at this.
There was no view from my window , just a brick wall of the neighbouring hotel, maybe the rooms on the other side of the corridor did have nice views. Only a few rooms are allocated as dorms on the 9th floor, they are only for foreigners staying for short periods, although this was not checked in my case.
I cannot really compare the Salisbury YMCA to anything else in HK, the ChungKing mansion is not far away and seems to be run by Middle Eastern owners. I was happy with the room, price for HK and the location, but not the staff. I did not eat there, for people used to paying 15 USD for lunch, i guess it was OK, but not for backpackers like me.
I sort of recommend this place, I would say there are cheaper places in less salubrious parts of HK. If you can afford it, it is a superior place

Room Tip: You will have no choice
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Alfonso S
Reviewed February 11, 2013

My wife & I stayed there from Jan 18 till Jan 22 2013. We reached the hotel using the airport express train and the free bus shuttle. The shuttle bus dropped us off behind The Peninsular Hotel which is a narrow street across to The Salisbury... convenient! First impression was amazing with the responsiveness from the doorman and all staff in the front lobby making us felt very welcome. We booked a room with harbour vew and a great view at that!. Our room is very clean and everything works plus a very nice spread of fruit basket. This hotel is not rated 5 stars but i believed it can easily beat some top hotels. Hong Kong is one of our favorite city to visit and The Salisbury with it's good price, excellent staffs and fantastic location is now our default hotel to stay.

Room Tip: Pay a bit more for the Harbour View room... you will not regret it!
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CliffordSuan
Reviewed February 7, 2013

I visited my Hong Kong on my way to Australia for a student exchange and my parents who had previously stayed at The Penisula nearby recommended the Salisbury to me as a much more "budget friendly" but centrally located option. My flight got in at 5am and when I finally arrived at the hotel at 7am, the hotel staff assured me they would have my room cleaned and ready as quickly as possible so that I may check in early and clean up. Overall the room was a good size, very clean and having a kettle was extremely handy. The best part about the hotel is the location. Located on Kowloon, it is directly across from the Star Ferry, excellent views of the Symphony of Lights every night and since I was there during Chinese New years a short walk over to the parade site. There was also a Starbucks right across the street which was an added bonus! Since I stayed there 2 years ago and was extremely jet lagged the entire time I was in Hong Kong, I can't remember whether or not the food was any good in the restaurant, but I do know there were several local/international restaurants nearby, and I also went to a supermarket nearby where I bought most of my own food and then would make instant noodle soup using the kettle in my room. It was also extremely easy to get to and from the airport. Going back, I caught an airport shuttle bus directly across the street, which took me to the train station downtown where I checked in, had my luggage tagged and loaded, and then enjoyed an easy train ride to the airport where I caught my flight and had all my baggage arrive at the other end. I definitely recommend this hotel for people wanting a central location as an affordable price.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo