“The only nice thing that happened - I had the whole dormitory room to myself!”

The Salisbury-YMCA of Hong Kong
Ranked #41 of 721 Hotels in Hong Kong
Reviewed January 30, 2013

Stayed at the Dormitory Room at the Salisbury YMCA for a one night lay-over in Hong Kong. It is nicely located next to the MTR Station and the Tsim Sha Tsui waterfront.

The dormitory room came with 2 double decker beds and an attached bathroom. Even though the property has been around for quite sometime, the room seemed quite new. Credit must be given to the housekeeping team for doing such a nice job.

My bed was pretty hard and the pillows seemed too soft for my liking. To be frank, it was quite uncomfortable. There was a nice wardrode containing a safe and hangers for each occupant in the room. I noticed that there was no TV in the room and no phone where I could phone the reception. When I asked if wifi was complimentary, one of the concierge staff gave me a rude "No, not free". This was quite unfortunate and I forgot to take down his name.

I guess the only nice thing that happened to me was that even though my room was meant for 4 persons, I was the only occupant during my 1 night stay. Since I didn't sleep well at all and the service was pretty mediocre, I was glad when daybreak came for me to check-out to the airport for my next destination.

I guess I won't recommend the dormitory beds if you are not used to hard beds like me.

Stayed 1 night (19th January 2013)

Room Tip: Request for the lower bunker beds if you are worried of heights
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank minghui79
There are newer reviews for The Salisbury-YMCA of Hong Kong

Reviewed January 25, 2013

what is really the ymca, this place very nice. Great location, on the Kowloon side, next to the Peninsula hotel, a true 5 star hotel. Rooms very nice, some with stunning harbor views. The breakfast buffet excellent, with dining area overlooking harbor. Staff very helpful, but what really makes it is the price. We paid $148 for a room, a great value in this expensive city.

Room Tip: pay a few more dollars for harborview room. Fabulous
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends

2. Clean room
3. Very friendly housekeeper
4. Good harbour view

Negative side:
1. You can hear people noises inside your room like the person near your room when they are shouting or the person in the hallway..
2. We check-in arounf 1pm and so we understand that we have to wait for an hour cz the room is not yet available cz the check-in time is 2pm so waited biut instead of only 1 hour we waited for almost 3.. :(

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Joy A
Reviewed January 24, 2013

Room was noisy and the bed was a bit lumpy. The room doors have a different type of lock. We had to get new keys several times during our 7 day stay. Breakfast buffet was good but $14US/per day/person. Wi-fi was available at $350HK/seek. Don't expect free wi-fi like a hotel in the USA. Great location.

Room Tip: Some rooms have a great view of the harbor.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank Rich M
Reviewed January 24, 2013

Very reasonable price for a perfectly located place to see HK. We were upgraded to a Harbour View suite which was wonderful. Two minor issues with the key and Internet were addressed immediately. The breakfast was basic but just fine. We loved the placed and will book again mid year when we're back in HK

Room Tip: Harbour View Suite was an upgrade for us but we enjoyed it so much we're booking this for the ne...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BiznPleasure
Reviewed January 23, 2013 via mobile

We enjoyed our stay. They gave me a basketful of fruits on my birthday and upgraded us to harbour view. We enjoyed the nightly musical light show from the window of our room facing the harbour. The MTR is just a few steps from the hotel's door steps. The breakfast was great. I loved the waffles and sausages! There was also an airport shuttle near the left side entrance of the hotel. Everything here is convenient.

4  Thank CesMD
Reviewed January 22, 2013

The accommodations exceeded our expectations -- had a wonderful fruit basket in the room when we arrived! I would rate it 5+ stars for the price. We recently stayed here with 2 small children and enjoyed a scenic city and harbor view. The hotel was clean, comfortable, ideally situated and had crisp white linens. There was a cafe, swimming pool, bookstore, money exchange and internet cafe, amongst other amenities. The staff was top notch, knowledgable and friendly, particularly Mr. Jackie! The location was perfect -- minutes from restaurants (Turkish, Indian, Cantonese, The Outback, Ruth Chris, TGIF, Spaghetti House, McDonald's, Starbuck's), the sights, public transportation (Star Ferry, taxi, 2 level buses) and shopping! Wow! It was the quintessential experience. Highly recommended!

Room Tip: Higher floors have a panoramic view!
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family