“Downtown and close to Ferries”

The Salisbury-YMCA of Hong Kong
Ranked #43 of 725 Hotels in Hong Kong
Reviewed October 29, 2012

Orgh yeah, you cant beat the location, the friendly check in staff and it has a pool. Gym is low ceilinged and ordinary (ie you can jump rope in there), and the gym staff have that classic abruptness to them. single room did the job and breakfast was a winner but i moved out as they put the price up 20 and then 30% for the long weekend...not the real hong kong, cos for that you gotta be on the island, but great for night market and the taxi rank/concierge staff wrote out directions in Chinese, which is a must if you want the taxi to actually drop you in the right spot.

Room Tip: - TUNNEL Taxis - avoid the tunnel to HK island at all costs as they drive like absolute nutters.best...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo

Reviewed October 28, 2012

The location next door to the famous Peninsula is unbeatable and the view from our Harbour View suite was also unbeatable. It is also extremely close to the Star Ferry and the MTR (subway).
One thing that was aggrivating was that it costs 65 HK$ per day to use the Health Club, if you are a hotel guest and over 100 HK$ if you are a YMCA member!

Room Tip: Standard rooms are very small. Suites are much lkarger but of course more expensive and there are fe...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 28, 2012

I only stayed at this place one night and never again. I had a long flight and just wanted to break the journey so booked a night here to be able to check emails, have a bath and a good night's sleep.
Firstly, the staff at reception were far from welcoming. Then, once in my room, I had to ring to get my suitcase delivered after waiting 15 minutes. When I went to turn on the bath, there were black hairs in it (I'm blonde!). I rang Housekeeping and the cleaner arrived to say 'whoosh, whoosh, water' and left. When I asked it to be cleaned, reluctantly she did. There were also hairs on the toilet and on the floor and mould around some of the fittings.
Next, after the bath, I went to check my emails before retiring to bed. There is a $40 minimum charge whether you use it for 5 minutes or up to 4 consecutive hours. Although not expensive, I was astonished to see a hotel which charges over $A200 a night per room for a partial harbour view, charge for wi-fi. I had never had to pay before anywhere I had stayed. I logged on twice but was still unable to access emails. When I rang reception, they said I would have to come down to them. I explained I was in my dressing gown but they refused so I had to get dressed and go down. They were not able to access wi-fi for me. In the end, I slept, skipped breakfast as was worried about their hygiene, and went to the Peninsula for breakfast and accessed my emails for free!
The only thing this hotel has going for it, is the brilliant location! Even the rooms are small.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank Az124
Reviewed October 27, 2012

We have stayed in the Salisbury-YMCA twice....ten years apart....and both times we were amazed at the value of this amazing property. The view is outstanding and the location to the Star Ferry and Kowloon shopping is just 2 minutes away. The rooms are clean and comfortable. This used to be a "secret" place to stay, but now you must book way ahead of time. I highly recommend it.

Room Tip: Ask for a view room.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank nancygSeattle
Reviewed October 26, 2012

We stayed here for 4 nights. We had asked for hypoallergenic bedding but they did not provide this but once we had pointed this out they went out of their way to amend this. We had a great room with superb views. The room was spacious, clean and comfortable. The location was second to none with easy access to the Star Ferry and also to the nearby shops and restaurants. Breakfast was included and again the standard was good. Great value for money overall.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with partial Harbour view!
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Stupot11
Reviewed October 26, 2012

Room was nice and clean. Staff is polite and helpful. Location is convenient. You can get to the metro right outside the restaurant door and it's a short walk to the ferry to Central. If you are flying in you can take a free bus from Kowloon Station (Airport Express) to the hotel so you can get from the airport to the hotel for HK$90. They have a bookstore. The breakfast buffet is good and the cafe downstairs has reasonably priced food which is sometimes hard to find in this part of HK. It's a tad expensive, but it's Hong Kong.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 15, 2012

I have just returned from a wonderful week in Hong Kong. As my wife and I did last time, we stayed at the YMCA Salisbury. But since I took my wife, Daughter, Son-in-law, and 2 grandsons along this time, we booked 2 "Harbour View Suites". My wife and I had one suite and on the same floor, the others had theirs.
I was surprised to find that the suites differed quite a lot. Furnishings were much the same but the floor plans were very different. Ours was quite a bit larger, quieter and being closer to the lifts, more easily accessible.
I wont go into the Salisburys wonderful location, excellent rates, cleanliness, ample facilites, friendliness, etc etc, its all been written here, many, many times before, I just wanted to draw your attention to the fact that if you book a Harbour View Suite on the South Eastern corner of the building you will get a bigger suite that the one at the South Western corner of the building. To explain it better, have a look at the photos I've attached. One of the photos is of the emergency escape floor plan.
Each floor only has 2 Harbour View Suites and their numbers are either 47 or 31. Ours was 1247 and theirs was 1231. I assume this numbering system would be the same on each floor and I recommend that if you get a choice of suites, and you're looking for a spacious, quiet place, then book the one ending in 47. The photos on the Salisburys Harbour View Suites webpage are of the smaller suites http://www.ymcahk.org.hk/sales/html/e_HVS.htm
and the photos I've attached are of the one my wife and I had.
The foyer has been completely upgraded since I made my 1st review and is in my opinion just brilliant.
We had the best service. The staff were polite and helpful, and went the extra mile when necessary. My youngest grandson had his first birthday while we were there and when we returned from our day out that day, there was a cake waiting for him/us.
If you've got money to burn then stay at the famous place next door. Their rates START at HK$4380 per night, so its probably for a lower floor room facing the street. Ours was HK$2350 per night.
All up, we had a great time in Hong Kong and a lot of the success of the holiday was down to the YMCA Salisbury Hotel. Would we stay here again? Most definitely....and we just did. AND there'll be a next time.
Cheers,
Rob

Room Tip: If your looking for a Harbour View Suite, choose one with a number ending in 47. They're bigger...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family