“Great hotel, fantastic pool, excellent service”
Review of Royal Plaza Hotel

Royal Plaza Hotel
Ranked #26 of 726 Hotels in Hong Kong
Reviewed November 9, 2010

I have just spent 8 nights at The Royal Plaza with my sister and her 5 month old baby. We know Hong Kong very well and would usually stay near Central, but the rates and reviews for this hotel were so good that we thought we'd try it out! We weren't disappointed at all.

We were given a 10th floor room overlooking the pool/jacuzzi. The room was spacious, clean and extremely comfortable. Any minor niggles we had were dealt with at lighting speed and the service was impeccable throughout. Getting from the airport to the hotel was hassle free, the Airport Express train takes you to Kowloon station and from there the K5 minibus drops you at the hotels front door (approx. 40 mins) HK$90 one way.

The hotel is conveniently linked to Grand Century Place shopping mall via the 2nd floor and ground floor. There's a 'Wellcome' supermarket on the 7th floor and a food court on the 5th floor (selling mainly Chinese food, with a KFC thrown in for good measure) The shops stay open until around 9pm and the food area until 11pm+. We booked the hotels buffet breakfast in advance which is well worth it if you want to be fed for most of the day - we saved over 50% on the actual rate (approx. £8pp), the buffet was an eclectic array of fresh fruit, salads, cheese, fried bacon, sausages, waffles, pancakes, toast, pastries and two chefs waiting to cook omelettes and fried eggs to order! For a more local (and less expensive) experience, I would recommend going down onto Prince Edward Road West (by the Flower St) and sampling a freshly baked custard tart (daarn tart) from one of the small bakeries along the road... the smell is fantastic.

Mong Kok is the lively area of Hong Kong with all the markets at your feet, Ladies Market, Jade Market, Goldfish St, Flower St. Fa Yuen St, it's definitely an area for those who want to experience more local Hong Kong. From the hotel, Mong Kok MTR station is just a 10 minute walk on an undercovered pedestrian walkway (starting at the ground floor of the shopping mall) and from there the system is so slick that you can get around the rest of Hong Kong very easily and pretty speedily. We could get from the top of the Peak, via the Peak tram, Admiralty MTR and back to the hotel in around 40 mins. There is a hotel shuttle bus which takes you to Tsim Sha Tsui, but we found the times erratic and didn't use this.

The heated 30º outdoor pool was heaven as was the jacuzzi, immaculately kept and the staff treat you like royalty! There's a small sauna and steam room in the changing rooms. Although we didn't use it, the gym was spacious and well equipped and is complimentary to hotel guests.

There is a broadband cable in the room HK$40 for an hour or in the lobby Wifi is HK$40 for half an hour.

For those who are in Hong Kong on a shorter visit, or want to experience the more 'modern' Hong Kong, or Lan Kwai Fong/Wanchai nightlife I would probably recommend staying in Tsim Sha Tsui/Central. However we had great stay here, it suited our needs perfectly and we would without a doubt make a return visit. The rates, service and comfort of this hotel are hard to beat.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank mejo09

Reviewed November 6, 2010

Travelled with my husband and son. Overall the hotel lobby is very busy at all times. Check-in desk was a little slow. The room seemed clean but when I was sleeping, I kept smelling men cologne on my side of the bed. Also, in the bath area, the grout had some black mold in it. I guess Hong Kong is humid and that might be why, but with the price we are paying per night, I think they should invest few dollars for a tube of grout to make the room more appealing.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed November 3, 2010

Stayed 3 nights at this hotel. Very convenient location, adjacent to a mall and subway station. Food is not a problem. Room rates are awesome, and its spacious too ! (compared to HK standards). A bit away from the busy Mong Kok area, but not too far.
Staffs spoke good english.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 2, 2010

This hotel has the best service. The room is quite normal but wat they can offer is the excellent service provided!! We were well attended to when we have problems and uncertainties. Located was good. Easily accessible to many shopping areas!!

• Stayed: October 2010
Reviewed October 26, 2010

Right from the time we pulled up to the door, til the time we were leaving, this was one of my best stays EVER in Hong Kong. The emplyees that I was lucky enough to have any dealings with were excellent! The room was spotless. The bed, firm and extremely comfortable. The room size was also a big plus. We did not hear any noise once we closed the door. Very quiet. We were able to walk around the room without bumping into each other. The hotel is connected to a shopping mall, which also has an entrance for the MRT (subway). They also offer a shuttle bus service to the Tsim Sha Shui area.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank georgeb71
Reviewed October 17, 2010

I was very confused initially between Mongkok and Mongkok East MTR as my main criteria in getting the hotel is near MTR. Upon reaching, I realised Mongkok East MTR is just below the hotel. It is convienient to get around or walk about 10-15mins to the Mongkok MTR station. It is easy to get to the ladies street with the sheltered overhead bridge and exiting from the Shopping mall, there's lots of eateries around.

The hotel has also kindly upgraded my hotel room and i have a very comfortable size hotel room. Overall, the staff are friendly and the concierge staff are very helpful in helping me to check out some of the restaurants that I wanted to go. I will definately come back again on my next trip.

• Stayed: August 2010
Reviewed October 15, 2010

The room is definitely bigger than the usual room though on the old side. If you are looking for comtemporary interior, Royal Plaza is not for you. We have no comments about the room, more on the service some of the staff.

On the bright side, the hotel has a young driver named Chung who interests us with recommendations on what to do in HK. He was liked a 5-minute guide who smiled & shared jokes with my husband & I on several occassions even when we met him off the bus. Excellent service from the hotel shuttle driver.

On the other end are staff who are snobbish & would not offer courteous answers when we needed help. When we reached the hotel after 2pm, we were asked to wait for over an hour while our room was being cleaned. We left our luggage @ the hotel & went about the shopping centre. The people there were not the friendly type.

When we checked in around 4pm, we were coerced to pay a hefty deposit for the room of which we had paid in full weeks before. We were assured that the bill (by credit card) would not go thru & would be cancelled when we check out if we do not use any of the paid services there. We paid up & was ushered to our room.

On the first day, we went to Flower Market & Ladies Market. When I reached to the hotel, I needed to go to the restroom. When I asked a staff there, I was told that there were no restrooms @ the lobby. I was asked to refer to the concierge. I was flabbergasted. How could they treat a lady liked that, guest or not..

The day we left the hotel, our deposit was not refunded to us. The counter staff said that the deposit would be held on for a week. From the system, it was shown that we did not acquire any additional services etc.

Even if we did, couldn't they just cancel off the payment & let us pay the amount in cash.
When we enquired about free shuttle to Tsim Tsa Tsui for the day of our check out, we were told by the concierge that they do not allow luggage on the bus. They only ferry passengers around. I remembered fairly well that it was not their peak time. There were only 3-5 guests including my husband & I on the bus for the past 2days. Couldn't they just fit us in with our luggage?

We felt that our stay @ the hotel was marred by payment policy that required us to pay for a hefty deposit, poor service & unapologetic behavious by most of the staff for causing us inconvenience & the general feeling that the people in the area were rude.

We would have been happy with better service despite the location & overlook some downsides. Unfortunately, we could not.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple