“Not a bad hotel”
Review of Royal Plaza Hotel

Royal Plaza Hotel
Ranked #26 of 730 Hotels in Hong Kong
Reviewed March 3, 2009

Stayed there for a few times arranged by my partner as his company always put him there when he is on business trip and he likes it. Like other past review has stated that it is not exactly in central location but the taxi in Hong Kong is so cheap and handy who needs to stay in the city centre where you have to pay 2 or even 3 times of the price we paid? The rooms are spacious compare to local standard. Although the deluxe room seem a bit dated and need some update. we have been upgraded to their executive room once and we love that. a very morden looking room it is. Too bad we were told upon check in that we are not allowed to use their facilities there as it seems nice enough. Overall we like this hotel and we will definately be back.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank onelightyear
Write a ReviewReviews (4,214)

Reviewed March 3, 2009

After I made the reservation to the hotel I had email in advance for an upgrade as I had stay here numerous time before and was always upgraded. This hotel is not the greatest but I stay here out of habit.

Upon check-in I was told I was upgraded to the executive floor and being 1am I was just glad. The executive floor room is slightly nicer than the average room.

However, next morning when I went to the executive lounge, I was told very loudly that I only got a room upgrade but not the privileges and that I can not access the lounge nor do I get any of the extras that come with the executive floor room. I was very embarrassed as other guests there were looking at me. I felt I was made a fool.

I email the hotel right the way, got two phone calls, one of which is duty manager, both insisted that I was told only the room was upgraded and that I was explained I don't have access to any of the perks that come with it. I was frustrated that I had to go through this embarrassment two more times! Never have I heard of it! First, the front desk should have explained which they haven't regarding the room only upgrade. Second, the lounge staff should not have told me off so loud, and third, they phone to apologize but insisted they didn't do anything wrong so what's the point of apology!

I will not return again. Already I found it is inconvenient due to its location, access to other main MTR lines require a long walk unless you take taxi. And from HK convention centre not many taxis want to come to this hotel.

Like I said I stayed here out of habit but in reality there are now much better and nicer hotel in the same category and much more convenient and with much better renovated rooms.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank JillChang
Reviewed February 18, 2009

We stayed at Royal Plaza hotel for around 5 days last January and we enjoyed our stay.
The hotel is quite far from the main tourist attractions but they provide a free shuttle service to Tsim Sha Tsui area that makes it convenient for all the hotel guests. There is a mall that is connected to the hotel where you can find affordable restaurants ( love the crepe station that is very close to the hotel entrance from the mall ) and do some shopping.. The room is pretty big compared to other HK hotel rooms, clean, spacious with sofa, and small kitchen. We were lucky to have stayed in the room with the pool view, unfortunately we did not even try the pool since it was too cold . The buffet breakfast is noteworthy with lots of choices
If there’s anything that I would like to complain about the hotel is the reception. I have booked the hotel 3 months before our trip with a special instruction that we would be arriving 2 hours prior to the normal check in time. They had confirmed many times that a special request had been made and we can check in early. Unfortunately, we waited for 2 hours before we were given a room. We were not expecting this as we have a small boy who’s sleeping and a bed is a top most requirement. Other than that, the hotel is good and we enjoyed our stay in Royal Plaza Hotel.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank PJAB
Reviewed February 8, 2009

Stayed here a couple of times and luckily got upgraded to the executive floor in a few different occasions. Their rooms are spacious for Hong Kong standards and inside the room, it's surprisingly quiet considering that they are right on top of the train station.

Attached to the hotel is the Grand Century shopping mall and Mongkok train station. Mongkok shopping areas such as Ladies' street, 'Sporting shoes' street' are just 10 minute away and other prime tourist attractions in TST, Central etc are within 4-5 MTR stations.

• Stayed: January 2006, traveled on business
1  Thank Hedonist420
Reviewed January 29, 2009

Good hotel, clean and staff is efficient. A bit far from the main attractions (HK island, salisbury, etc) but the hotel is connected with 2 subway stations so it makes it OK. The hotel is attached to a mall which is good to find cheap resto. A must: Maxim's resto on the 8th floor of the mall. Overall, I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
3  Thank Canadagirl98
Reviewed January 26, 2009

The hotel, conveniently attached to a mall, is also located less than 10 mins by foot to the street markets of Mongkok. The room I was in overlooked the flower market, which was a hive of activity pre- Chinese New Year. The famed Ladies Market is little further away however.

After a long wait at check-in (this is a large hotel), we were upgraded to a room on the non-smoking executive floor (19th), although without the attendant privileges. The room was fine, however it did smell of cigarette smoke, a common problem with non-smoking rooms in hotels in China.

The breakfast buffet is good by 4-star hotel standards. Staff were pleasant, especially given the large number of guests they have to deal with.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank MBev
Reviewed January 25, 2009

A big hotel quite a long way from the tourist and business areas, I got upgraded to executive floor but was told I had to pay $400HK to use the facilities.
I found my room to be quite small as was the bathroom, also got hassled by housekeeping when I was asleep after a late night, but good linen and towels.
I don't have many complaints, it's clean, functional, with good staff, but next time I'll stay on the other side of the harbour.

Stayed: January 2009, traveled on business