“very smoky rooms”

Ranked #33 of 718 Hotels in Hong Kong
kuala lumpur
“very smoky rooms”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2009

we booked 2 connecting rooms but sadly all non smoking rooms were full. The rooms were really smoky and smells of strong cigarette puffs which makes very uncomfortable. Overall, housekeeping service was very good. Concierge needs to improve on manners and service. I could not even ask for newspapers and was asked to pay for it. No such thing as borrowing papers in Royal Plaza.

• Liked — et housekeeping
  • Disliked — smelly smoky rooms
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank hkfanKualaLumpur

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (595)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Vietnamese first
Melbourne
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2009

I stayed at the Royal Plaza with my husband & 2 teenagers. We had booked 2 rooms. When we arrived we were told that we had been upgraded to the executive floor, but had no access to any of the amenities. Access to the executive floor was via elevator to the 8th floor and then we had take the stairs to our rooms. 1 room was fine, but the 2nd room was smelly (like it was damp). We asked to change rooms, which they did, but the new room stunk of smoke, even though it is a non-smoking floor. Finally we got a room that was ok. The rooms were reasonably spacious. Breakfast was included and was ok. The variety was reasonable and flavour was fine. I was impressed that they had soy milk!
The position was ok. It is attached to a shopping centre, a bit of a walk (but easy) to the station and close to the Ladies Market. The Mong Kok area is great area to be in, with a variety of shops and places to eat. Overall the hotel was fine. I don't know if I would rush back, but I wouldn't mind if we ended up having to stay there again.

2 Thank min_8
Pattaya, Thailand
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2008

We stayed at the Royal Plaza Mongkok during Dec 24-28. The hotel made our trip a totally unpleasant HK trip I've ever had.

We have to wait till 4 PM to have access to our room. At the day we checked in, there was x'mas eve gala dinner. For whatever reason it is, the dinner is arranged at the lobby of the hotel. As a result, they only allow one person of each group to go inside the counter area to check in while they're preparing tables. It was chaotic. The rest of us and other groups have to stand nearby the lift, waiting for our room for an hour!. staffs were so rude and do not manage the queue at all. they didn't care who came first .. it's a matter of who yelled louder.

the room was smelly. i guess the hotel is quite old and the carpet didn't feel clean.

Luggage delivery to the room very slow, it was 30 mins after we got our room. At the check out, there was no bell boy coming up to pick up our luggages either.

the worst part about hotel is the location. they claimed the hotel is 2 mins from MTR. it's true, but that station is "MONG KOK EAST", not "MONG KOK". they're 2 different stations. Mong Kok east is a small station and it is very hard to go anywhere as u need to transfer and connect to other stations. at the end of the day, it's easier to walk to Mongkok ... and that makes u 15-20 mins from subway station. be careful when you're about to book this hotel.

• Liked — pillow
  • Disliked — location and staffs
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank Wopim
Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 14, 2008

I was in HK & Macau for a short vacation with family and my in-laws who are elderly. Knowing that hotels in HK are pricey and generally have small rooms after a bit of research (mainly on Trip Advisor) I chose this hotel. My key considerations in choosing this hotel was the ranking on Trip Advisor, comments from members, room rate, location and proximity to subway stations.

I booked using the Hotels.com website and the experience was generally hassle free except that I did not get a confirmation email after I had completed the booking. However a couple of emails subsequently reassured me that the booking had been successful. As there were 6 of us in all, I booked 2 Family rooms which have a queen and a single bed each.

We took 2 taxis from HKIA and paid about HKD 250 - 300 for each, including extra fares for our luggage. Checking in was a breeze and I was pleasantly surprised to see that the rooms were spacious with the standard facilities including an ironing board and iron, hotel slippers, flat screen TV, minibar, bath & shower and in-room safe.

We did not experience any issues with service, except on our last day when upon checking out the porters were tardy in collecting our bags from the rooms. However they could have been busy as it was about 1 pm which is I think a peak time for the hotel with guests checking in and out.

The hotel is conveniently located next to a large shopping mall (Grand Century Place) which has a good number of eateries. It was relatively easy for me to get to our preferred mode of transport, the HK subway or MTR as they call it. The nearest station is called Mong Kok East and is accessible from the shopping mall - a 5 minute stroll. However this is not the line that leads to the key tourist areas of Tsim Sha Tsui and HK Island. To get on that line (called the "Tsuen Wan" line) I had to walk about 10 minutes to Prince Edward station or, by cutting through the shopping mall which leads to a series of overhead bridges, to the Mong Kok station which is 15 or 20 minutes away. The distance was no problem to me but posed a bit of a challenge to my in-laws who are aged and couldn't walk very far.

Did not patronise any of the F&B outlets in the hotel, HK has way too many eateries.

Service from hotel staff was generally polite at worst, and enthusiastic at best.

Summary:
Likes
- room size.
- location

Dislikes
- location (a bit problematic for my in-laws)
- room rates. During my research they were selling the family rooms for HKD 1000 per night on the hotel website. Unfortunately I did not book then. When I tried to book a few weeks later the offer was no longer available and Hotels.com provided me with the best rate but was still expensive.

• Liked — Roome size; cleanliness
  • Disliked — Rates; location may be problematic for older folks
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank Wanderer09
Malaysia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2008

Had an excellent time at this hotel. Stayed in a family room, which is a queen bed and a single (meant for 3 but we stayed the four of us). It had a simple cooking area and a microwave, and was quite spacious / enough for our needs. It is a bit of a walk from Mongkok station (it is very near east mongkok, but that station is less connected to where we tended to want to go), but there is a covered walkway to mongkok station. Furthermore on the way back we could stop by to get fruits or other things we needed. Ladies and other markets were quite near by. To put it into perspective, we needed to walk quite a bit no matter where we went in hong kong, so it wasn't bad at all. If you are muslim then Islam food on Lung Kong road is excellent - around HK30 each way for taxi. The hotel has a shopping center attached, with a mcdonalds.

• Liked — everything went smoothly
West Sussex, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2008

I spent numerous weeks researching a HK hotel that could provide a FAMILY room as that's what we normally prefer, plus also due to the expense. I thought I'd hit the jackpot when i finally found a HK hotel with a decent family room.

According to the website it was perfect. Some may call me fussy, but when we were shown to our room (after having check in delayed due to "room being checked for you") it was a triple, and not a family room.

The website says "one king or queen plus one double". It turns out that its actually one king or queen plus a single (albeit slightly larger than a UK single).

When the managemnet were questioned "all our family rooms are like this" and " our single bed is a double bed" I kid you not.

WE specifically chose this hotel becasue of the website's description and even had an email dialogue with their staff before booking the so called family room.

If I had known what I know now I WOULD NOT HAVE BOOKED THIS HOTEL due to :

a) obviously the bedding config
b) family breakfast cost us short of 80 pounds!! (just the one day)
c) location
d) hotel was cold
e) main lobby lounge area even more cold and dark.

WE would have been better off booking a king bed (plus an extra bed) in a better located and more modern hotel with breakfast INCLUDED in the rate, rather than this old hotel that doesn't know the difference between a single and a doubled bed.

RANT OVER!

• Liked — notthing in particular
  • Disliked — mis representation on their website plus its all cold
  • Stayed December 2008
Sabah - Land Below The Wind
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2008

We (3 adults + 2 kids) stayed at Royal Plaza for 4 nites with connecting rooms. Room are spacious with a queen bed, 2 seat couch, coffee table, kitchen facilities (e.g. sink, microwave, fridge, cabinet, etc).

Location wise, next to a shopping mall, short walk to street markets, abit far from MTR stations though. Hotel provides free shuttle bus to Tsim Sha Tsui but not very frequent. Area was mostly typical blue collar working class area unlike the business district in HK island.

Comparing to other hotels in town, I would say its good value for money.

• Liked — Room facilities esp. the kitchenette
  • Disliked — Location