“Very good except for rude and racist staff”
Review of Royal Plaza Hotel

Royal Plaza Hotel
Ranked #26 of 726 Hotels in Hong Kong
Reviewed March 10, 2014

I was very impressed with the whole stay up until check out. Luggage service was great, room very clean and modern with excellent design. Fairly good location with a large shopping mall next door as well as an MTR station (East mongkok, not the best station though as it is on a line which does not easily connect to other main lines)

I would have given this hotel a glowing review except the check out was the worst checkout experience I've ever had at the 50+ hotels I have stayed at when travelling over the years.

I came down one hour past usual check out time (I was given a one hour extension), lined up at one of the desks for service. There was two women (I refuse to call them ladies) working at the desk in front of me, when my turn came to be called up, they called up people of the same race as them, who had only just arrived in the line, and refused to serve me. When I approached who appeared to be the manager, she made eye contact with me and conveniently picked up the phone as I arrived at the desk, I do not believe there was anybody on the other line of the phone and she was merely trying a childish attempt at ignoring me.

It was quite laughable at the end, myself and one other Caucasian person were the only two people not being served, we had both been there for a significant period of time.

In the end, once all others had been served, we were both called up and I was dealt with in a very brief manner, clearly not good enough to be served by them.

It is such a pity that I had this experience, other than a poorly designed pool area, the hotel is genuinely beautiful, far too good to be marred by such rude, racist and impolite staff.

I will never return to Royal Plaza Mongkok and will ensure my friends avoid the same.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
10  Thank Blaqjaq84
Write a ReviewReviews (4,140)

Reviewed March 10, 2014

It was my first time staying at Royal Plaza Hotel with my family. It was a 5 star hotel connected with shopping mall and mtr. Our room is deluxe family room with 2 queen beds, is big, clean and cosy! Close to the mongkok street market which need some walking distance about 15 to 20 mins.
It was a great stay, will come back again!

Reviewed March 8, 2014

Stayed with my entire family and all I can say is that it is an awesome hotel in a very prime and convenient location.

Rooms: Booked the Grand Plaza Family rooms for my family and they are definitely one of the best rooms I have stayed in - modern design, clean and spacious for Hong Kong standards. Beds are sturdy and comfortable, as well as the pillows.

The bathroom is definitely a lovely retreat from all the hustle and bustle that might normally be part of staying in a room with toddlers. In the same way as the room was spacious, so was the bathroom. Modern and high-quality materials were used to give it a premier and luxurious feel.

The personalised greeting on the television is a nice touch. However, channels are very limited. But that shouldn't be a deal-breaker because you don't go to Hong Kong just to stay in and watch television.

Although we have brought a couple of universal adaptors, it was great that they have an extra in the room. Very handy for people with several gadgets. This might not be a big deal to some but for those who are probably not too aware of the differences in the electrical sockets in the region.

The sitting area by the window provided for extra space for when some of the family members come to visit our room.

Staff: Staff are very accommodating and extra helpful. From the reservation officer who I kept bugging for extra requests like rooms within the same floor (got the rooms right across from the other!), to the receptionists and those you just bump into everywhere. They have the initiative to help out guests, as they are all over the reception area.

Facilities: Unfortunately, we weren't able to use the gym nor the pool. Lifts were very fast. From a couple of minutes to zero wait time on the lift, which is very unusual for a hotel as busy as theirs.

Check-in was speedy. though it would have been appreciated if our request for early check-in was accommodated as we had three toddlers with us and senior people who were up since 3AM in the morning.

Buffet breakfast was good, too. Nothing too special with the menu compared to other hotels, but again, their staff in the restaurant were all too helpful. I cannot say enough about this.

Location: The hotel is located at a very accessible location. A few minutes walk away from the East Mong Kok Station which connects to virtually all the other MTR lines. This was a great plus as the entire family had to ride the train all the time.

The hotel seemed part of a really big structure which also houses a mall. Definitely another plus for us.

Overall, this made our very first family out-of-the-country trip very memorable. It was also the first time my parents stayed in the hotel and Royal Plaza Hotel did not disappoint. Our stay felt like we were VIPs staying in the hotel suites yet it did not break our budget.

Now, I definitely know what hotel to recommend in Hong Kong without batting an eyelash!

Thank you, Royal Plaza Hotel, from my entire family.

Reviewed March 6, 2014

It was my first stay at the Royal Plaza Hotel together with my family. The hotel is in brand new condition, very clean and comfortable rooms and a very cosy interior deco. I stayed on the 8th floor, the same floor as the fitness centre / swimming pool. Checked out the gym facilities, and it is absolutely perfect as well as the swimming pool with two lifeguards on standby mode. It is absolutely the perfect stay, given its very central location (walking distance to the buzzy streets for good food etc) and convenience of the nextdoor MRT station. Amazed with the connection link between the Hotel to the plaza next door and also the indoor pedestrian walkway connected to the Bute Street. The essential toiletries are provided (toothbrush+paste etc. The hotel staffs are very friendly and helpful. We are very happy with our stay with Royal Plaza, and will definitely stay here again on our next visit.

Reviewed March 6, 2014

Had stayed in the hotel from 21st-22nd Feb, was trying to find a hotel which could accommodate the bunch of us in a room.
The hotel looks welcoming and the hotel rooms was big, clean and new, the bathroom is great! Even the walkway to the hotel room looks nice. We had a room facing the pool so the kids had a fun time ppl watching. 3 adults and 2 kids occupy the room and there were still plenty of space to walk about. There is a daybed kind of area which allows us to place our luggage thus saving space.
Its located inside a mall so its very convenient to access. Lots of well known cosmetics shops located in the mall. Close walk to ladies markets and streets which serves plenty of food! Its valued for money and very suitable for family and friends for 4 in a room. Definitely my top choice next time :)

1  Thank LMFCL
Reviewed March 6, 2014

Classy 5 star hotel close to shopping centre, Mall, restaurants, all in the one complex. Easy access to MRT. We had room on 16th floor, very quiet, large room, comfortable bed, great rain shower. Close to street markets which set up in the evenings.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank John F
Reviewed March 5, 2014

This newly renovated hotel is located in the center of Kowloon. Very convenient to find food courts or local restaurants. Especially if you fly in to Hongkong, you just take airport express, get off at Kowloon station and then take K5. You will directly reach lobby. The hotel itself also offers the free shuttle services to reach downtown shopping areas. Great warm-water swimming pool and nice city view. High CP value for 5-star hotel in Hongkong that you can have relatively bigger room.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family