“OK but that is about it”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of The Royal Garden

The Royal Garden
Ranked #53 of 718 Hotels in Hong Kong
Singapore, Singapore
“OK but that is about it”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2012

Had a suite room so the room was huge.

Pros: The staff made the bed everyday and sent us the weather report everyday which was really good since we just came back and there were threats of typhoon and storms. The suite room was big with both shower and bathtub. There is also a TV so you can enjoy your spa with the TV on. The concerige is friendly and able to provide very good information like how to get back from ocean park by public transport. Even if they were unable to, they will search the internet for you. I am highly surprised that they did not know what roast pigeon is though. There was a bear provided free of charge and we also lost the room key and we were advised not to worry about it. There are 24 hour eateries so you can come out and eat your supper.

Cons:
No one offered to help with the luggage. I was resting my feet on the carpeted floor and am quite upset when the floor staff corrected me by sign language to put on my slippers. It upset me some as I find it illogical since the carpet was meant to be stepped on anyway. The place is crowded 24 hours a day. There was no clothes line in the room. We have ceiling to floor glass walls with blinds. It was nice at first sight but it looked out onto old rundown buildings so it sort of defeated the purpose. They sent us the weather report but did not let us know about the PSI which at that time was 137. Super hazy.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank flierroars h

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (269)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Minneaoplis, MN
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2012

I really like this hotel. The thing about this hotel that makes it superior is the staff! The rooms are nice and comfy, if a bit small, but the staff is superb, and make up for anything lacking in room size. I once was ill while staying here, had to have a dr. Come to the hotel and then have medication delivered. And with my medication was delivered a pot of hot water with honey and lemon, and a note from the manager wishing me well and saying don't hesitate to call if I needed anything. I actually teared up a little! But aside from this experience, the staff at the executive club is excellent, the happy hour and breakfast are always good, fresh and not too challenging. The recent room renovations have added a touch of elegance to the place and the restaurants are really quite good. All in all, a home away from home, just like they hope it will be.

Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Leeds, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2012

I have stayed in Hong Kong many times and this whilst not a bad experience it just was not what I was use to. The Royal Garden is East Kowloon and a reasonable (Hot and Humid) walk to the main shopping area and other Kowloon sights.

The rooms are well equiped and to a high standard but quite small, I was there by myself on business but I imagine two people would be constantly in each others way, plus if you fully unpack your bag like i do the room was lost.

The view of the harbour was bloked by a large building in fron so higher floors than 6 that I was on should be better.

Breakfast was reasonable but much like any other buffet type breakfast in the Far East. There are some great restaurants in the Hotel, Sababtinis in particular, but very very expensive.

My biggest gripe is that I wanted a late check out, bearing in mind I only got to the hotel at 11pm, to get a 6pm checkout cost me £100, so the total i paid for 19 hours was £300. Plus I had to pay an extra £12 for 24hour internet access. Then to add salt to the wound when I did check out and had a pre flight drink the the hotels Martina Bar (£6 a pint) I could not use the 24 hour Internet I paid for, and as I had checked out no one showed the slightest bit of interest in helping me, they did still show interest in getting a tip though.

All in all the minor service issues let this place down, I wont stay again I will revert to the Marco Polo hotels in the Ocean Centre.

Plus a word of warning or some may find it as a tip, the area is swarming with prostitution, I was on the phone to my wife and got approached twice, even though there was a strong police presence. Although some western men did seem to be enjoying the 'facilities'.

Room Tip: Even number rooms they face the harbourside, although a restricted harbour view.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Tel Aviv, Israel
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2012

This hotel was in a great location and good for what we needed. The hallways looked a bit rundown but the rooms were in good condition.

Only bad thing about this hotel was the fact that they served shark fin soup at breakfast - so not PC and turned me off a bit.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2012

I can not fault this hotel at all! I stayed with my mother last year and had such a wonderful time.

The staff were amazing, we were shown to our room (executive level), which was upgraded on arrival, personally by the manager on duty.

A special comment must be made about Tony, in the executive lounge, who made our already amazing trip, absolutely unforgettable. He served us french champagne (and anything else we wanted without hesitation) and was overly friendly. Speaking to some other guests they say they much prefer this hotel to the Shangri La across the road-I think Tony's service is a big reason for this.

The hotel itself is beautiful, with a wide selection of great restaurants. It is also centrally located so tourists can easily get around.

The pool and spa are also beautiful.

All in all, a wonderful hotel!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2012

This hotel is pure luxury. My room was really spacious with a very comfortable bed, the decor is modern but classy. Breakfast is great with a wide variety of food. The staff are helpful, perhaps not the most friendly staff at reception but the staff in the restaurants were very cheerful. The hotel room has everything you need except you have to pay for broadband I paid HK$400 for three days. The Sky club is amazing although I didn't get to use the pool as it was closed due to the typhoon, I did use the sauna though and that was lovely.

I can't fault this hotel and wish I could afford to stay somewhere like this for pleasure but alas it was for work!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Holly B
London, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2012

Stayed in the suite here - a lot of visitors to this hotel seem to come from Mainland China or Japan (maybe overspill from Nikko Hotel I'm not sure).

The rooms all overlook the main lobby and the design of the hotel is very good...impressive during New Years Even when all the balloons dropped through the middle.

Stayed in a suite which was very spacious, modern, and service was prompt. It's near Tsim Sha Tsui East and very close to the station and main fountain where there are eateries for local food / diner type places, and a couple of famous streetfood stalls that sell food on a stick...very tasty!

Lots to do in TST, for shopping, Granville Circuit is awesome (my gf can't get enough of this unique boutique style designer clothes at retail price), and for the guys there's plenty of restaurants and bars around whilst they shop too!

Ensure the concierge write down the hotel for you in chinese too...I can speak cantonese but my girlfriend and her family aren't from Hong Kong so it came in handy when they went shopping/explored themselves!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family