New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Nathan Hotel

Nathan Hotel
Ranked #98 of 697 Hotels in Hong Kong
Novatel in Hong Kong
“NOT HAPPY JAN - NOVATEL HONG KONG”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

For those who are not Australia "not happy Jan" is a take off from a TV advert in Australia. Hotel had been used before = very good experience. This time the good points...excellent foyer baggage staff, nice power adapter in room. The bad things... like Polywhirl before..the light contral panel is an overkill and complicated. Why not a simple switch. My continued hate is kettles that do not fill from bath room tap - why can they not have sufficient clearance. Room is basic. With a group of us would have been nice to have a toilet brush to clear of odd nasties.Seems they cut costs by only having one door so either the toilet is closed and the wardrobe wide open to view of visitors including the safe No hair dryer

Now the MAJOR COMPLAINT. Arrived after 15 hours of road and air travel. Reception DID NOT have the entire party of 6 booked in. For nearly 40 minutes there debate at the counter and the demand for an extra $A1000 for the last person (a six year old child). Eventually they relented and gave compensation - a few drink vouchers dated for the same day (not so helpful as we just wanted to sttle down after the long trip).

May be they had better take down the trip advisor certificate they have on the front reception

Room Tip: If you need a condom they provide one in the drawer (at a cost of course)
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank ozziiesenior

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (199)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Hong Kong, China
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I read good reviews of this hotel but my experience there didn't match those. I booked direct with the hotel through their website for an Executive Studio Suite for 1 adult and 2 children (not cheap!) but when I got to the hotel I was told that the room could not accommodate 3 people (even though I specified three people when booking online), so the receptionist told me he would happily 'upgrade' me to a standard triple room. I wasn't convined so I asked to see both rooms, the standard triple was a big room with three beds, but was a standard room (i.e. a downgrade not an upgrade) and also smelled badly of cigarette smoke, I refused. The studio suite i was taken to I was told actually was a suite consisting of a living area with sofa, TV, wardrobe, desk and chair with a separate bathroom and large bedroom. Both the living area and the bedroom had nice flatscreen TV's but the decor was dated and the bathroom old-fashioned, nothing luxurious at all and felt grubby and in desperate need of refurbishment. Amenities included robes, safe, free water, wifi, aircon. I know this sounds very stupid but the room lights in the bedroom are controlled by a high tech gadget next to the bed that looks like a radio. We didn't realise that this gadget controlled the lights I think becuase it was so high tech it just didn't fit with the rest of the old fashioned decor of the room, we searched a long time for switches to turn off the lights but had to give up and ask someone to come up and turn off the lights for us. We also had to ask them to fix the wardrobe door which did not close properly so the light inside the wardrobe remained on even though the door was closed, as a result it lit up the room when all the other lights were (eventually) turned off. The maintenance guy came and then told me he fixed it but he didn't actually do anything, the problem remained, so I called again and he came back and just took the bulb out, problem solved I guess! The living area just had enough room for a rollaway bed for the third person. Our room rate didnt include breakfast so I can't comment on that. If Im honest my experience there means that I could not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Poliwhirl
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012 via mobile

We found this hotel on the Internet and it was better than expected. We checked in early after having a transfer meet us and we were given a room upgrade. All of the staff were friendly and helpful especially Leo Leung at the Concierge desk. The hotel is centrally located to Nathan road shops and the MTR, which is one of the easiest forms of public transport to use. The breakfast had a good variety of choices each morning. We will stay here on all future trips to Hong Kong. Just a small note don't feel you can't see any tourist attractions unless you are on a tour. Everything is easy to get to and it is also a lot cheaper.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Djanaba
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

Nice, (relatively) quiet hotel with good amenities and helpful staff. Nothing was too hard for them and check-in & check-out was very easy. Location is great (central Kowloon) as a stone throw away from Temple St markets and good walk to electronics markets in Mongkok. It's not that hard to walk down to Salisbury Rd and across to the Star Ferry. It's very easy to get around in HK and generally things are quite clean.

Nathan Hotel was good for me as I was travelling alone on business this time. I didn't get time to check out the gym etc and the dining room (at breakfast) can be quite crowded, so not too sure about coming back with kids. If I had any complaint it would be forget having a sleep in after 8am as the housekeeping staff are too efficient (& really nice people), but they talk very loudly walking down the corridor. Otherwise, I have no hesitation in recommending it and I will come back to stay here next time.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank supabats19600114
melbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

we could not fault this hotel, the location was fantastic and the staff friendly. We stayed with our 2.5 yr old and as we shared the bed did not have to pay any extra. The bed was plenty big enough for all three of us. I would stay here again.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank himselfher
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

The hotel is in general amazing, We were a bit doubtful as it is a three star hotel but we thing it disurve at least four stars. It is so clean, very helpful desk, perfect place close to everywhere and of course relatvely cheap.

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank Sverige12
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

The Nathan Hotel is located smack dab in the center of Kowloon, by far the most interesting part of Hong Kong. It is perfectly located to explore this part of greater Hong Kong. The hotel is clean and modern, but not oppressively so as many ultra modern corporate style hotels are nowadays. The staff is exceedingly friendly and helpful, and will respond promptly and helpfully to any request. The all-you-can-eat buffet breakfast served on the top floor is first rate. The room we had was luxuriously spacious, with superior, absolutely up-tp-date bathroom facilities. There was free wi-fi available everywhere in the hotel. Our room was quiet and the bed huge and comfortable. Generally I try to be sparing in giving five star reviews, but I can't think of a single reason why I shouldn't in this case. I would definitely stay here if I should ever return to Hong Kong.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple