“Convenient location, nice hotel”

Novotel Hong Kong Nathan Road Kowloon
Ranked #72 of 721 Hotels in Hong Kong
Reviewed January 8, 2013

My family and I stayed here for two nights after spending three nights at Novotel Citygate at Tung Chung. We decided to transfer hotels to be nearer the Kowloon shopping district, after having our fill of HK Disneyland and the Citygate outlets. Jordan MTR station and Temple Street market are only a few blocks away, Harbour City and Festival Walk are just two stops away. Everything, in fact, is accessible from this hotel. Compared to Novotel Citygate, this hotel's rooms seem a bit older and smaller --- our room even had a faint smell of cigarette smoke. However, we were lucky enough to have adjoining rooms with that of our daughters and this contributed well to the Novotel family experience. We also had to pay for internet in our room this time but it was faster than that at Citygate. There were Mac computers available at the lobby and bar area and this was very convenient as I got to check in online and print our boarding passes, even when the internet in our room has already expired. Service on all fronts from reception, bell service, room service and restaurant were all timely and the staff were all friendly. Would recommend this hotel to anyone and will not think twice for a repeat stay.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Cindy d
There are newer reviews for Novotel Hong Kong Nathan Road Kowloon

Reviewed January 5, 2013

We have just returned from 10 days staying at the Novotel travelling our family of 4- including two teenage daughters. It is worth the upgrade to the Premier rooms for room wifi, buffet breakfast and access to the Premier lounge. The premier lounge provided breakfast, afternoon tea and light evening meals-very convenient. It is not large but we never had any problems getting a table. The rooms are small but always well cleaned and restocked with supplies. Buffet breakfast is very good and the staff there were great- remembering your preference for tea or coffee.
The location of the Novotel is very good with Jordan MTR a few minutes walk away and Temple market also close by. There are lot of good shops nearby to get your supplies- 7-11, Sasa and Wing On. Staff very helpful and speaks English very well. I will definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Upgrade to Premier rooms- worth the extra money.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Michelle C
Reviewed January 5, 2013 via mobile

Hotel location was average. Staffs however were great. Belldesk, reception were attentive and tried their best at all times. Unlucky they messed my 1st night with smoking room but rectified properly for the next night. Convenient with 7-11 right across and starbux not far. May not stay again just bcos of location

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank jimmyprosper
Reviewed January 5, 2013

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Annoyom
Reviewed January 4, 2013

I spent almost 2 months searching for a hotel that would best accommodate all of my family's needs. I was traveling with a 1-year old toddler and my elderly mum, hence the need to be extra careful when choosing a hotel.

After much research, I settled on Novotel Nathan Road, Kowloon. It was not my first choice, but due to its central location I decided to stay there. Even though the hotel did offer some form of discount, the total cost for a 5 days 4 nights stay was still quite expensive. Reading reviews from Trip Advisor really helped. For instance, taking bus A21 from the airport is so convenient for us since the bus-stop is really near the hotel. The only hassle is lugging luggage bags on and from the bus since Hong Kong people are not really helpful.

I did try my luck when I reserved the room to request for bottle sterilizer and a microwave or access to a microwave. But as anticipated, the hotel (supposedly 4-star by Hong Kong standards) do not provide that facility to guests. I have to sterilize my daughter's bottles at least once a day so we ended up going down to the restaurant (sometimes in our PJs) to get the bottles sterilized and to heat up my daughter's pre-prepared porridge in its microwave. Of course, the staff at the restaurant were not too happy and we were often faced with unhappy faces everytime we asked them to help. All these unhappiness and inconvenience could be avoided if the hotel could just invest in a couple of bottle sterilizers that cost less that HKD$600 for a good one. By now, they should already know the increasing trend of young families traveling with young kids. I do hope they would take my suggestion to improve its services.

There is nothing great about the room. It was quite tiny, no room for my toddler to walk about. The housekeeping did a great job in cleaning the room daily. The room could also do with a permanent bathroom door that could be locked so that whoever that is using the bathroom could have some form of privacy. We didn't opt for breakfast because it was Expensive and the restaurant would be filled with visitors from neighbouring PRC. We wouldn't want to start our day shoving, pushing and hearing loud conversations, right?

The major dissapointment was that WiFi was offered at a price. In this day and age, do we still have to pay for WiFi? And it did cost a lot. I would suggest to future travelers to buy a temporary SIM card if you do want internet access. It is way cheaper than what is offered by the hotel. It is sold at the 24-hour convenience stores.

The only salvation to an overpriced hotel stay is its location. Not that you would get a fantastic view from the room, but it was located near the Jordan MTR station and a couple of eateries. You could also access a couple of Halal eateries nearby the Temple Street night market. You could also walk to some of the shopping centres. With a toddler and an elderly in tow, we did resort to taking cab a couple of times to certain places of interest. It did cost quite a bit but we were able to save a bit of time. The hotel's staff at the ground level would get a cab when requested.

The hotel's staff are not that friendly and I concluded that it is not in the nature of Hong Kong service staff to smile at their guests. You would also end up going back to the hotel only to rest and sleep because the hotel does not offer anything else.

My conclusion - Novotel Nathan Road only works for singles and couples who will be out the whole day discovering Hong Kong. For families, do look for something else.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank morningloryee
NovotelHongKong, Manager at Novotel Hong Kong Nathan Road Kowloon, responded to this reviewResponded January 13, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting a review following your recent stay.

Firstly, thank you for the valuable suggestion, it is critical for us to receive such feedback from our guests to identify areas for improvements. A bottle sterilizer has been purchased and is now available for other guests, thank you for your valuable feedback.

It is known that the majority of the hotel room sizes in Hong Kong are pretty small. However, as already highlighted in previous reviews, the Novotel provides bigger rooms space compared with the other hotels located in the same area. The Novotel also offer connecting rooms which is more appropriate if you are travelling as a family.

Wi-Fi is available for free in all Executive Premier rooms and in our public areas.

Once again, thank you for staying with us. It is our goal to retain you as our satisfied guest, we hope we can regain your confidence and have the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Kind regards,
The Management of Novotel Hong Kong Nathan Road Kowloon

Reviewed January 4, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here from 1st Jan to 5th Jan. We loved our stay here... This is really a value for money hotel. I would have been very happy if the hotel staff could communicate in English... saying that some staff did speak but some were struggling to communicate... awesome and cheap food and drinks.. after a long time I spent most of my food spending at hotel including room service... good quality and quantity of food... the cocktails and drinks are much cheaper than pubs...overall awesome stay...

3  Thank Tapan M
Reviewed January 4, 2013

My stay at Novotel this time is good. Concerige service is very good. It's my 3rd time stay there but this time, extra bed was provided without cost. Disaapointment is, it was a SOFA bed, quality of it is bad. Compared to the last 2 trips, we had an extra bed, first time with cost and 2nd time was free. At least it was a bed that guest can sleep comfortable in. If a SOFA bed quality is no good, a good night sleep is affected, how can we still travel or sight-seeing during our stay in Hong Kong?

I had joined as ACCOR member after my 2nd time stay in Novotel Hong Kong Nathan Road. Sad to know the standards dropped after my 3rd trip there last month.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family