“Right beside MTR, Small Rooms, Service is Good” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Harbour Plaza Metropolis

Harbour Plaza Metropolis
Ranked #115 of 712 Hotels in Hong Kong
Vancouver, Canada
“Right beside MTR, Small Rooms, Service is Good”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 23, 2012

I had really low expectations before I checked in this hotel from what I read at Tripadvisor. Expecting small rooms, old room decor and lack of service. When I arrived at the hotel entrance by airport shuttle service, the doormen welcomed us and helped us with our luggage. I started lining up as it was quite busy at the front desk..and later realized this was considered a short line up when I passed by the front desk on the 6 nights we stayed here. We wanted a non-smoking room with one double bed and all the standard superior rooms were mostly sold out..only a smoking room was available. We let the receptionist know that we were okay to stay one night and change rooms the next day. But she kindly told us to wait for one moment and she came back with room keys to a Harbour View Room with one double bed non smoking. Very nice!

We headed to our upgraded room and were pleasantly surprised we got a harbour view and swimming pool view. Complimentary bottled water,bathrobes,slippers,safe, toiletries. This hotel is advertised as a 4 star hotel and compared to my recent 4 star hotel experience in Rome, I guess this hotel is 4 stars. The lobby is very big and grand with the signature staircase. Almost everyday/weekend, there is a wedding happening at the hotel.

We didn't get to try out the outdoor swimming pool and jacuzzi but every morning when I looked out the window, I could see a few guests enjoying the facility. It's December, but a few days the temperature went up to 20 - 26 degrees.

Flat screen mounted TV, had lots of channels. We watched movies and dramas every night.

The hotel is connected to a shopping mall but not much too see there, mostly wedding gown shops , one coffee shop, tutti frutti yogurt, watsons and 7-11. Every morning we go through the mall down the bridge and escalator and into the hunghom train station for breakfast. Either Mcdonald's or Maxims.

On two occasions, we needed a taxi instead of taking the MTR. And there is a dedicated staff always in the hotel entrance to help you grab a taxi.

A few complaints: The bed sheets were not clean, stained when we first checked in. We put the green leaf (environmentally friendly program) on the bed to have them changed the next day.

The bathtub was really old..yellowish old. Not very comfortable to being showering there for 6 nights. We didn't bother to try having a bath.

Wifi at the hotel is expensive. Better to buy a One2Free sim card from 7-11.

Overall, I would come back to this hotel for the location. But I would like to try the sister property next time in Whampoa Garden also in Hunghom - Harbour Grand Kowloon ( 5 star) and see the difference. Its only a 15 minute walk between these hotels. And in Whampoa garden, there are many restaurants and shopping especially Jusco department store.

Room Tip: Harbour View Rooms are a good choice.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Yukimii

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (359)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Atlanta, Georgia, USA.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2012

This hotel is a great value. The location is very good if you arrive or leave by train to Shenzhen or mainland. One can walk to train station. The rooms are very reasonably priced and there is a walk way to Salisbury rd. for dining. I recommend this hotel.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Devon England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2012

Lovely hotel, room very small but adequate, previous comments were very accurate, check in was a nightmare I was in the queue for 15 minutes before the porter realised we were club room and said we could check in there, which was lovely, couldn't fault the club room, food was lovely and comp. drinks between 6 - 8 pm. The only downside for me was not being able to use the hotel bar for all but one night of our 8 day stay there were private functions on and we were herded into a small area of the lobby which quite frankly wasn't good enough. Had one lovely night at the bar though, there was a lady singing and playing the piano and she was excellent.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank marilyntozer
Pondicherry, Pondicherry, India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2012

Overall a very good stay. We got upgraded to balcony rooms even though it was without harbour view, it was worth it. Only negative aspect was that wifi is very expensive. Location wise it hop and jump to hung hom station and the free shuttle to Kowloon is a boon to reach places. Break fast was wholesome and staff very kind.

Room Tip: Be ready to wait in queue at check in.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Tacoma, Washington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2012

Stayed here during the first week of December as part of a conference I was attending. I arrived after midnight (flight from West Coast USA) with a reservation and confirmation number. Unfortunately, the only rooms available were either next to an elevator or a smaller, twin bed room several doors down from elevators. I went with the latter to avoid noises from late-night party goers.

The room was tiny and on the 19th floor (the size wasn't a surprise since the front desk had said it was a twin room, and I've stayed in NY hotels where you can reach the TV from your bed), but what I couldnt figure out was what was happening next door. It seemed like the door opened and closed about 100 times and there were about 15 or more people in the room (and this was now at 130am).I looked out of my room a couple times and observed young women among older men, walking down the hall. This may not mean anything, but the noise was unpleasant (lousy Asian disco and TV).

I called the front desk and asked them to check it out. That must have helped, as within 20 minutes things calmed down.

I requested to be moved, which was accommodated. I got a double bed room with a partial harbor view (and a full view of the HK Coliseum roof). It was next to the elevator, but I figured it had to be better than the party room I had before. And, indeed, the elevator was silent, and guests on this floor behaved themselves better (16th floor).

Hotel service was excellent, as one would expect in Asia. The breakfast buffet, included in my room rate was also very good, featuring Chinese, Japanese and Western offerings. The Shanghai style dumplings were a favorite of mine, and the coffee was reasonably strong (you can also ask for an espresso or cappuccino, something I forgot to do my first morning until I heard another hotel guest order one).

The location is next to the Hung Hom metro stop and a shopping mall (which has a shop with a very interesting name of "Human Placenta", and that shop sits next to a Wedding Party Planner shop, so quite an diverse mix. The mall also has a 7/11 that sells cold beer and a pharmacy (Watson's) which has a good selection of goods.

Would I stay here again? Probably not. And not because my stay was bad. But, there are a number of other hotels in the same area, and in checking with my colleagues at the conference, they were getting rooms for the same or better rate than my conference rate. So, I'd probably check out the Nikko or Shangri-La or Inter-Continental my next visit, as they're all nearby.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Rossendale
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2012

Overall a very good stay. Clean comfortable room. Decent air con & even though not with a harbour view it had a good view out.
We decided it was worth upgrading to use the Harbour Club. Although not particularly cheap - provided pleasant lounge on the top floor with fantastic view over the harbour. Included in the loungs was good qulaity buffet breakfast, nibble during the day and "happy hour" between 6 and 8 with hot buffet food. That and free (if variable quality) wi fi made it well worthwhile. Staff up there were excellent.
There is an outdoor pool - in the shade of the building in the afternoon - so in October was a little cold plus fitness room.
The main Patio restaurant serves fantastic (if pricey) food. But sadly was closed completely to the public on the Friday and Saturday night, whcih caught us out. There are other restaurants in the adjacent mall but don't expect to get a table in a hurry at peak times as it was packed with locals. So plan ahead.
Also any bar drinks are served in a small tables area at the sdide of the main, busy, reception area which is not condusive to a sociable drink. I feel sure this could be improved.
Location is excellent - being only a few minutes walk from Hung Hom station, and there is a frequent a free shuttle bus to down town Kowloon.
Overall recommended

Room Tip: Go for the harbour club if staying for a while. It is possible to make good value of it & if you...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Manila
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2012

We are a family of 5 with 2 teenagers when we checked in. The hotel didn’t charge any extra person perhaps because we are in a one bedroom suite. Even it costs higher than the regular rooms, it is more practical since we are 5 in the room which has 2 single beds, a sofa in the living room and an extra thick blanket in the closet. There is a kitchen complete with cooking utensils. As for plates, spoons, etc, including power adaptors, I asked housekeeping to give us extra and they readily comply. The hotel is connected to Metropolis Mall where there are restaurants, convenience stores, small supermarket, bakery and money changer. Connected to the mall is the HungHom MTR station, which also houses some eateries and stores. There are also taxis and buses passing by across the street. Although there are no nearby attractions, the hotel is recommended due to its convenient location. It is a bit far from the airport, but since we are 5, it is cheaper to use a taxi than anything else.

As for wireless or wired internet, they charged per device used for 24 hours. So if you use 2 devices within a 24hour period, one after the other or simultaneous, you would pay double charge upon check out.

The pool is big and nice but really cold, but there is a small hot spa beside it. The lobby is just small and the lady guard will not let you nap sitting down in the sofa while waiting for your room to be ready, which is after 3pm. If you will arrive early in peak season and cannot go at once in your room, you can stroll in the nearby average-sized mall and leave your luggages in the concierge.

Room Tip: Go for a suite room and higher floor. Book early for lower rates.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family