“A room with a view to die for.....!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Cordis, Hong Kong

Cordis, Hong Kong
Ranked #15 of 716 Hotels in Hong Kong
UK
“A room with a view to die for.....!”
Reviewed August 20, 2007

My husband, son and myself arrived expecting the very best-we were not disappointed. This hotel was chosen carefully for the reviews, situation, room views of Hong Kong island and proximity to shops and cultural visits. The rooms-even whilst having a bath, you can look right at over the Hong Kong skyline! I cannot describe how hypnoptic and compelling this view was-day and night-we left the curtains open all the time! I have never slept in a more comfortable bed and the room was well equipped and serviced. We ate breakfast-huge and varied array for all tastes, cultures-worth being adventurous!

The hotel is perfectly situated-shopping mall attached, transport networks 2/3 minutes away, local 7/11 stores for wines (expensive in comparison to GB, beers etc-hotel prices high as you would expect). There are loads of places to eat nearby. Even in the Mall there is good local cuisine and very cheap.

The hotel staff were all very polite, helpful-we asked for a change of room as our son had got an even better view-no problems-done next day. The elevator girls are delightful in their pink costumes. The roof top pool-views-what can I say! The spa is so clean, relaxing and fully equipped-all needs pampered. Imagine a Gym overlooking Hong Kong-42nd floor-treadmills are never this exciting in GB!

We had no delays check-in or out. All very efficient-excellent. We all agreed that this was an amazing hotel and it made the holiday. We are not always so impressed-would go back tomorrow-alas another year of saving up to go on holiday!! ENJOY-we did! FIBILL

• Liked — rooms
  • Disliked — nothing!
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
5 Thank FIBILL

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,174)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Malaysia
Reviewed August 19, 2007

Stayed at the Langham Place Hotel for 3 nights... it was splendid!! the room is quite small but smart!! everything is very modern and they have room service twice a day. very good place as u can eat at the mall connected to the hotel, and u can even do ur last minute shopping there.. very close to ladies street but not that much to buy compare to temple street... the good thing about this hotel is that u just walk down the hotel and there is the MTR subway... very convenient even with ur shopping bags....
eventhough the room is quite expensive but it's just worth it esp when u want comfort.... esp recommended for lovers and honeymooners....

Stayed August 2007
1 Thank Odilia79
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed August 17, 2007

I travel a lot for business & the quality of the Hotel makes a big difference to me. I really like the Langham Place and in comparison to the Hotels in HK Island or TST, think it is excellent value.

The Hotel is brand spanking new and has a fresh contemporary feel to it without being boutique like. The rooms and facilities are really excellent, the MTR is a short walk so you can be anywhere in the area pretty quickly. I love the service (I think they pay people to stand around & smile !!) and the spa is wonderful (albeit a bit expensive)

Only downside is that Mongkok itself is quite run down so apart from the Langham Place mall and the local markets you tend to spend 30 minutes on the MTR or in a Taxi going to the usual haunts like TST or Central.

TIPS

1) Buy an Octupus card, which is a pre-paid card upon which you load credit, it makes using public transport a breeze !

2) Like all Hotels, the breakfast, while good, is expensive. I usually go to the nearby Mall where there is a Delifrance and Starbucks just across the walkway from the Hotel.

3) Taxi drivers don't all have good English & this Hotel seems less well known the some of the other more established ones. So you really need a card from the Hotel concierge with the name written in Chinese characters to ensure you get back !

I always try to stay there when in HK & always enjoy the experience.

• Liked — Crisp fresh feel of luxury, great staff
  • Disliked — Location is not perfect
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
6 Thank Paul-Portugal
San Francisco
Reviewed August 15, 2007

I am originally from Hong Kong and have family there. As a result, I've been back a number of times and know the Hong Kong area and its hotels quite well.

We stayed for a week and a half and our experience was that Langham Place is a 5 star hotel. The service that we experienced was very high and they pay attention to details. For instance, they even put your slippers in just the right place in the right direction so that you're feet slip into them as you get out of bed. The hotel room is a fairly standard size for Hong Kong (which means a little small for Hong Kong by Western standards) but has a very comfortable, firm bed, plasma TV, internet phone, and tasteful decor. The rooftop pool is fully serviced and sometimes overstaffed. There is a nice spa, sauna, men's and women's lockers and club lounge. The location in MongKok is excellent if you want a taste of a local area in Hong Kong. Essentially all of the other 5 star hotels are clustered in Tsim Sha Tsui (a nice area but a tourist district) and Central (the financial district). The hotel is connected to a 13 story shopping mall (Langham Place Mall) that has many restaurants, shops and a movie theater. The hotel is also connected to the MongKok subway station. You can get to the mall or the subway via skybridge and the escalators without going outside.

The concierge was helpful and everyone was beyond cordial. The pink elevator ladies are a nice touch.

Because there are so many great restaurants to try in the MongKok area, I would suggest limiting dining inside the hotel. The restaurants inside the hotel are good but they are much more expensive than the surrounding restaurants. Try Guongzhou Garden inside the mall instead if you want top notch Cantonese service and food.

Note that we paid about the equivalent of $90 (US dollars) per night due to a promotion by Cathay Pacific and purchased this through a Chinese travel agency in the United States. This is obviously a great deal but in general, the standard prices are still significantly lower than prices at 5 star hotels in Tsim Sha Tsui or Central. Everyone treated us well and we tipped the front desk and the concerige at our first contact with them (check-in). This can sometimes enhance the experience even at a good hotel.

• Stayed July 2007
12 Thank bigbird2423
London, England
Reviewed August 14, 2007

Stayed at the Langham Place Hotel in Mongkok for five nights with my elderly parents on a business-cum-pleasure trip to Hong Kong. Thus I am able to testify that this is an excellent hotel to stay at, either for work or for play.

Paid for a Kowloon room with triple accommodation, which consists of a giant King sized bed, and a single bed, both extremely comfortable. The pillow menu is a nice touch, but hardly neccessary, as there were already three types of pillow provided as standard.

Bathroom is extremely well-stocked. For the triple room, you don't get the clear glass partition that others appear to get with doubles - which was good for us, as my parents are not exactly liberal!

The extra I paid to get access to the facilities in the lounge on the 36th floor is a good investment. It is a good place to relax, and there seems to be a constant supply of snacks and drinks (including cocktails) on tap. My father loved the message chair, which afforded relief for sore feet while offering an amazing view of the HK skyline. It is also easier to arrange to settle the bill and check out via the reception desk there, as the one in the lobby can be busy.

The services at the hotel is impeccable, and I agree with previous reviewers, that the lobby and concierge services are friendly, warm and extremely welcoming. We never had to wait very long for anything, as everything was delivered extremely quickly, efficiently and with a smile.

We preferred breakfast on the ground floor (as opposed to the lounge) as there was greater variety. Selection was pretty standard for 5* hotels (multinational cuisine). Services of the serving staff there could be variable, depending on where you sit and how busy they are. The hotel appears to be popular with foreign toursts, and we (ethnically Chinese) appeared to be in the minority!

The hotel is situated in the middle of Mongkok, supposedly one of the most densely populated area in the world. Nevertheless, this is exactly what we loved to do - mingle with the locals and sampling the hussle and bustle of everyday life - so don't pick this location if you like a peaceful and quiet stroll! Access to other parts of Hong Kong were also extremely easy by the MTR via the mall next door - got to a wedding reception in Central on time without any problems, during a typhoon number 8 alert!

I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone. The price may be on the top end, but I felt it was worth every single penny.

• Liked — Extremely helpful staff
  • Disliked — The other toursts (can be extremely rude)!
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
3 Thank AmeeLondon
San Francisco, California
Reviewed August 8, 2007

I booked my hotel room months in advance for our holiday to ensure the proper experience for my family. I paid extra to stay in 2 rooms on the "Executive" floors for 5 nights. My family and I waited in line at the front desk for 45 minutes after a transcontinental flight. Meanwhile, in line, I over heard the person in front of me get upgraded to an executive room free of charge because they didn't have a standard room available for him at that time. I gave Langham Place the benefit of the doubt since it was so highly regarded on tripadvisor. Eventually, my positive attitude turned sour when the front desk informed me that I would have to wait an additional THREE HOURS before my rooms were ready. I booked months in advance, watched as the person in front of me get an "Executive" room immediately as a free upgrade, and had to wait three hours with 45 minutes in line. My family and I were relegated to wander the hotel and streets exhausted from our long haul flight. No remedy was offered. I felt I paid full price for discount service and treatment.

• Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
13 Thank Dob1
London
Reviewed August 7, 2007

Stayed during the Christmas period when it was extremely busy but found that they were friendly and informative. I think it had only just opened.

We stayed on the executive floors and was slightly disappointed that the rooms were slightly smaller that the usual for a hotel of this class. However, everything was clean, and tha view from the upper floors were amazing. Could just about see Hong Kong Island.

The swimming pool on the the top floor had the best views along with the gym on the level below.
Also, it was one of the few times in a hotel where we had breakfast everyday. The menu changed from day to day and the food was good. A shopping centre is incorporated into the hotel and we were not far from the metro station.

If you want everything to be close at hand, I think this is one of the better hotels on Kowloon side.

• Liked — The view
  • Disliked — Not sure
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled as a couple