“Excellent attention to detail” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Cordis, Hong Kong at Langham Place

Cordis, Hong Kong at Langham Place
Ranked #15 of 698 Hotels in Hong Kong
Nottingham
“Excellent attention to detail”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012 via mobile

We are just leaving Hong kong after spending 3 nights at the Langham Place hotels which is the start of our honeymoon to Hong Kong, Phuket and Bangkok.

The Langham Place is wonderful in every aspect. The service is impeccable and all staff are extremely helpful and kind.

The hotel should be complemented on its attention to detail in the rooms with things like a bottle opener, little toiletries, slippers, ice bucket, iron, umbrella, torch..... The list goes on and on!

The only negative I can possible find was at breakfast when, depending on where you were sat and what time you went in, the table might have missing condiments, sugar or milk. The array and quality of food however is very high.

I also though that it was a bit naughty that wifi was not included as " standard " in thus hotel for its guests in at least the public areas if not the rooms.

Location wise it is perfect and a 2 minute walk from Mong Kok Mtr station.

In regards to sight seeing and getting around Hong Kong I would strongly recommend taking the plunge and confidence to do it yourself. We planned our time and days out and managed to pack so much in due to the fab MTR system.

Day 1- Lantau Island for the Big Budda, Tai O fishing village, the cable car, Sky100, the goldfish market and ladies market.

This was certainly a considerably cheaper way of doing things and we could go at our own pace.

We got on the MTR at Mong Kok and bought single tickets to Tung Chung which is on Lantau Island, change lines at Lai King. Purchasing single tickets is easy and very cheap and we were helped by a very kind local. MTR stations have several exits so ensure you know which one to cobe out of, this is made very simple as signs are large and list attractions the exit is for.

On exiting we bought 360 land, see and air tickets which meant we could go to the fishing village, big budda and do the cable car in any order we wanted. We caught the number 11 bus to Tai O, walked around and dud the boat trip ( included in price) then got the number 23 to the big budda. We then got back to the MTR station via the cable car.

We then got the MTR from Tung Chung to Kawloon to go to the Sky100. This was amazing and if you want to visit an array of top designer shops this is also the MTR to get off at.

Cost for 2 people ($HKD)
Underground $34
360 tickets $280
Underground $34
Sky100 $300
Underground $10

Finally we got the MTR up to Prince Edward to walk down through the goldfish market which then leads onto the ladies market.

Day 2- Star ferry, The Peak and Peak Tram, Avenue of stars, Kawloon park, temple market and night light cruise.

We got the MTR from Mong Kok to Tsim Sha Tsui and over to the Star Ferry Terminal. Make sure you go upper deck. We got the short ferry ride over to Hing Kong island and then made our way to the Peak Tram ( also where Madam Tussards is ) once we had done this we made our way back to the Central MTR station and back over to Tsim Sha Tsui and walking through the subway to the East station. We had a walk down the Avenue is Stars and then headed on foot to Kawloon Park and Temple Market. We then heading back to Pier 3 ( near the clock tower ) to catch the night light cruise we had booked.

Cost for 2 people ($HKD)
Underground $10
Star Ferry $7.20
Peak Tram $130
Underground $16
Starlight Cruise $620

• Stayed November 2012
5 Thank Rachel D

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,086)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Casalecchio di Reno, Italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

Stayed there for 2 nights. This was my first visit in HK and I picked this hotel because of the location too. Well, it was a very inspired decision as Mong Kok is a very lively neighborhood where you can go shopping any style (Ladies' Market is 2 block away from the hotel). The hotel itself is linked by a skybridge to a big mall (Langham Place) and via the same path you can get to the MTR station (Mong Kok) in 10 mins. From there you can reach every destination (primarily HK Island and Lantau Island where the must-see landmarks are); for instance HK International Airport is approx. a 40 mins ride from Mong Kok via the MTR and the Airport Express in the last leg, 2 line changes). In Mong Kok you also enjoy a wide selection of shops that would meet your taste for either an exhausting negotiation with the local stall owners or for checking out more sophisticated shops of the world's top brand, all located in Nathan Road.
A special mention is deserved by the hotel atmosphere: very elegant. The staff is very responsive and switched-on, my room, which was a basic one, was spacious and modern with a very nice marble bathroom.
if you're a Japanese food lover I invite you to take a glance at Tokoro restaurant, located at the ground floor. The chef's selection of sushi and sashimi is remarkable, there's a wide selection of sake (cold and hot) and main courses.
A very last note: check out the in-room gadgets they have, that's a brilliant example of marketing as well as how they call the bill ('the damage').
Highly recommended experience.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank stefanofior
San Francisco, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

It was my first time staying at the Langham Place in Hong Kong and it was recommended by several of my other friends. I was totally looking forward to it. Upon my first night checked into the room, the air condition didn't work well and after the maintenance looked at it, it didn't get any better. I finally got my room changed the next morning. I was transferred to a higher floor (bigger in size) and the AC unit was much better after that. However, I didn't get to spend any nights in there because I have to transfer to another room in the evening. It was a broken pipe from the above floor and flooded the bathroom. I had to gather all my stuff and moved again. This time I was downsized back to the original types of room but at least everything worked. Then I found the shower head in the bathroom was not stable enough each time I took a shower, it just kept moving side ways. I didn't want to cause my more trouble again so I told the front desk staff about when i checked out.

If you asked me my overall experience, I would say a bit disappointed. I totally understand that the staff had gone above and beyond their way to accommodate each customer. Honestly speaking, I was looking to get some compensation after speaking to the manager about my experience upon my check out. To my disappointment, I didn't get anything but only a verbal promise that my future visits will be well taken care of. My feeling is that Langham Place is a five star hotel and I didn't get what my money worth. Perhaps I am not one of their frequent customers and just be given a simple promise probably not enough justification that I want to stay there again. Oh, one last comment, the manager did mention that he had sent a gift basket to my room but I swear I didn't get it. But i did recall seeing a note underneath my door. The note didn't say that there was a gift basket waiting for me. It just said that because my "DO NOT DISTURB" sign was on, so they could come in to clean the room. But my room was clean anyway. :-/

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
4 Thank Kwongster
LPHKG, Executive Assistant Manager - Rooms at Cordis, Hong Kong at Langham Place, responded to this review, November 24, 2012
Hi Kwongster,

So sorry and really surprised to read about the unfortunate sequence of events you experienced with us, this really does not reflect the norm here.

I can totally understand your annoyance and I would very much like to personally communicate with you further on this and can be reached at simon.mchendry@langhamhotels.com.

Hope to hear from you soon and have the opportunity to make things right for you in the near future.

Regards,
Simon
Oklahoma City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

The Langham Palace is an excellent luxury hotel in the vibrant Mong Kok section of Hong Kong, The service and room was truly exceptional.Tthe concierge staff is outstanding as is the personalized service provided pre and post visit via email. ( I have never experienced that in any other of the luxury hotels I have stayed at worldwide usually you get a canned email message if you are lucky!) ) It is a short walk to the Bird Garden. Flower Market Street, the Ladies Market and and several Temples. the MTR (Hong Kong's superb and inexpensive rapid transit system) is less than 1 block away. An excellent hotel in a fascinating part of town, Highly recommended!

Room Tip: They have rooms that sleep 3, in either King and double configuraton or 3 doubles!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank jgthompson2
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

For many years I stayed in downtown Tsim Sha Tsui before discovering the delights of Langham Place hotel and Mongkok. The hotel itself is an absolute gem. I often travel solo and my security is important. LPMK has a direct connection to the MTR and no matter how late I arrive 'home' I always feel safe. If your budget allows, book a Club room with 24hr access to Club L...absolute bliss after a hard day shopping and you will be looked after beautifully by the super efficient and friendly staff - who are also discreet if they see you want privacy. And the catering is to die for (I wish I could post a photo of the afternoon tea delights)
This hotel gets it right every time ... super clean rooms cared for by friendly cleaning staff who go out of their way to make sure your room is just how you like it and a concierge desk manned by staff who know absolutely everything. LPMK is in the perfect location - close to Ladies market, jade market, flower market, kitchen street, and all those popular spots - either in walking distance or just a few stops away by MTR. Train travel here is safe and fast - my preferred way to get around, as the taxis are sometimes held up in traffic and its just so easy from LPMK to access the MTR.
Do I love this hotel ? Absolutely ! Would I stay anywhere else in .Hong Kong? No!

Room Tip: Try for a Club Room with access to Club L ...but I've never had a bad room yet. A tip for non C...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Mongkoklover
Sydney,Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

We stayed in a suite for 3 nights on a pay 2 nights get 3 nights deal.This represented great value - it was a genuine 2 room suite with an open plan kitchen/lounge room and a separate bedroom with a spacious bathroom.The MTR station is accessed entirely underground via the adjoining Langham Place Mall so just get an Octopus card and you can go everywhere quite easily.Taxis are also cheap but traffic seems to be congested most of the time.

Access to the club lounge was included - absolutely superb, open 24 hours for weary jet lagged travellers, all day snacks that are substantial and generous, open bar all day with champagne during the evening cocktail hours.A worthwhile benefit.There were also lots of complementary goodies in the room like ice cream in the freezer, little gifts at turndown.

Concierges particularly those at the 1865 desk were excellent - advice was accurate and reliable, most staff we met had a "can do" attitude.Only minor niggle was that our room was not serviced until after 4 pm and we had to call to ask them to do it. They said they were busy doing rooms for incoming guests, I didn't think that was a good excuse and appeared to point to understaffing in the housekeeping department.

Mongkok street life is crazy busy but that is part of its charm, lots of locals , easy walk to lots of markets.Not much is open in the morning but if you feel like a walk before the crowds I can recommend the flower markets (Flower Market Road).

Room Tip: Club access is great value plus will get you a room on a higher floor where urban views are spectac...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Quezon City, Philippines
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

Check-in was a breeze and the duty manager personally welcomed us. Got a free room upgrade and late check-out. Right smack in the center of Hongkong's shopping district. Adjacent to the Langham Place Mall and the MTR station. Well maintained and decent size rooms!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple