“Big Bang at the Lang”

Ranked #14 of 718 Hotels in Hong Kong
California
“Big Bang at the Lang”
Reviewed March 22, 2011

I was skeptical about the overwhelmingly positive TA reviews for this hotel. I mean, surely there were cracks in the porcelain that others just weren't talking about, right??? Well, on the fourth of our six day stay I have nothing but praise for this hotel, and specifically its luscious Club L. I booked our room several months in advance, and after reading on TA about the Club benefits decided to go for the whole experience. Shortly before our trip I read one review where the gentleman was suggesting that the Club might only be worthwhile if one was entertaining clients, and I was a little worried that I'd opted for an extra that might not be worthwhile. Boy, was that thought misplaced!. In our experience, the Club benefits have enhanced our entire stay,starting with the exceptional concierge service and early access to the Club the morning of our arrival prior to the scheduled check-in time, through the buffet breakfast on to afternoon tea and into evening cocktails with full hors d'oeuvres.

The rooms are very nice, comfortable bed, panoramic view. Fitness center and pool are spectacular, and we enjoyed a very relaxing and refreshing treatment the morning of our arrival at the Chuan Spa.

Mong Kok is a fun location, far from the madding crowd of the tourist areas of Hong Kong Lite. MTR is SO easy to access from the hotel, and we're happy every day when we return to our Langham sanctuary. I highly recommend taking advantage (early in your stay) of the hotel's free evening market tour

If you enjoy pampering, and a luxurious (but unpretentious) hotel experience at a reasonable price in an atmospheric local neighborhood, this is an outstanding option. If you need to be part of the mainstream travel experience and in the thick of one of the tourist districts, this is probably not your best bet. For us,we'll take Club L at the Langham Place every time.

1 Thank TravelElixirofLife

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,214)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 21, 2011

Having booked this hotel based on reviews, we were confident that we were on a winner - and we weren't disappointed. Firstly, the hotel itself. It's modern, bright, stocked with original art and lacks nothing. As usual, the higher the floor the better. Staff are friendly, helpful and offer that little bit extra that makes all the difference. The restaurants are very good (as is room service) and we especially recommend the buffet at The Place - first class choice and quality and very good value for money. Secondly, location. The Langham Place is in Mongkok away from the water front but in the middle of a bustling street scene (it has a shopping centre attached), more traditional Chinese than the designer shops on HK island etc. Most importantly, it's within a short stone's throw of the Mongkok underground (MTR). This system is excellent - fast, frequent, clean, safe and very cheap. This is the key to access to the rest of Kowloon, HK Island, the other islands and the New Territories eg a 25 mile trip to Tung Chung on Lan Tau island to see the Great Buddha cost £1.25
We have absolutely no hesitation in recommending this hotel to all and we are already planning a return trip.

On the road
Reviewed March 20, 2011

Stayed in HKG here to break the journy from Europe back to Australia, and chose the Lanham Place due to recomendation from a friend. We knew it was going to be pleasant from the minute we met with the transfer staff at the airport. Our flight was late arriving, however the car had been held for us, and staff were waiting with hot towels and drinks to allow us to freshen up before heading off to the hotel. Driver called ahead to advise of our arrival and the 'Welcome Angels' were waiting for us in the driveway. From here we were taken straight to our suite while the check in details were attended to. Having arrived late in the day we decided to skip going out that night, and after freshening up decided to visit 'The Place' for some canapes and a relaxing drink. We decided to have breakfast downstairs rather than in 'The Place' and were suitably impressed by the attentive staff - after spending a month in Sweden where coffee is almost as important as air I have developed more than a passing fixation with caffeine, my cup was never empty for long here - and the wide range of dishes available. The cook to order egg station is always a good sign at breakfast, and the omelettes here satisfied a very fussy customer! Being our first visit to Hong Kong we need some pointers, and the concierge was right on the money with suggestions on what to do, where to go etc.,
The rain shower in our ensuite was fantastic, and this over enthusiastic shower user managed to wet nearly the entire bathroom. Proper fluffy towels and robes were great, and the king sized bed was extremely comfortable.
We will more than likely stay here again on our next journey break, and are looking forward to it.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed March 20, 2011

All the good things written about this hotel are true! Exceeded our expectations. Staff very, very efficient and polite. Got upgraded into a bigger room (23floor) on our first stay which was nice since the rooms are quite small, especially as we needed an extra bed for our 7 yr.old son (450HKD charge). Even got as a gift a small toy/ beach bag for our son!

On our second stay we stayed in a more expensive deluxe (or something) room in 30th floor but the room was quite small and I didn't get the point of the window between bathroom and the room (there is curtain) -bath with view?... View from both rooms was excellent.

One of the great things in the hotel was the warmed (approx. 28C) roof-top pool and the outdoor jacuzzi that was really warm (approx. 37C?). They had a Japanese style hot spa (+42C) and a Finnish sauna (which I as a Finn really appreciated) -- it was quite chilly weather during our stay so it was very nice to warm up after walking around the city all day. Our flight home left at midnight but we were encouraged to use the SPA after check-out as long as we like. Our son loved the pool - though they didn't let him into the sauna (16yr age limit) which was funny as we have a sauna at home and he visits it several times a week.

We liked the hotel location, lots of nice places to eat dinner around the night-market, not touristic neighborhood. We were the only western looking people in the most places we ate in Mongkok, the food was good and cheap compared to Europe.

Good connections everywhere by underground. The trains are crowded but nothing special compared to any big city. Taxis are really cheap as well but slower in many cases I would assume. Except for Disneyland it was a quick 20 min drive by taxi from the hotel. The hotel shuttle is not passing by this hotel but the taxi from the Airport express terminal is like 3 euros.

Didn't eat at the hotel, picked up the breakfast from the Starbucks in the Mall (easy indoor access thru the Lobby), inexpensive and good enough. Nice live music in the 5 floor bar

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Pipsa1971
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed March 20, 2011

As a local (expat) Hong Konger, I randomly select hotels in Hong Kong to stay overnight for a quick and easy break to getaway from everyday life in HK for 24 hours. The Langham, Monkok, is a pleasant stay.

I highly recommend the club rooms which offer The Club Lounge where one can eat and drink away until their heart is content. The Club Lounge offers a quick check-in and check-out service, great food and an excellent selection of alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks, has views, massage chairs, a fish tank, business centre, newspapers and a relaxed atmosphere.

The Langham's pool is in a great location, on the roof, and there's a good selection of restaurants / places to eat in the area.

The only thing I don’t really like about this hotel is the location as Monkok is really busy however the location is great for holidaymakers.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 18, 2011

This was our first time in Hong Kong and I did a lot of research before deciding on Langham Place for a 5 night stay. I reckoned that staying away from the waterfront would give me much better quality than my budget would buy me in Tsim Sha Tsui or Hong Kong Island. Having experienced Langham Place hospitality, I'm delighted with my decision.

Mongkok could never be described as upmarket or glitzy but is instead the heart of the real Hong Kong. Staying in the midst of this gave us a real insight into Hong Kong life with local markets right on the doorstep. The hotel runs a walking tour of these each evening and I would recommned this as a good starting point. The location is also good for public transport with 2 MTR lines in the adjacent shopping mall.

The hotel itself is modern and offers luxury with some quirky touches. The staff we encountered were univerally engaging and helpful. I would also recommend tat you pay the extra and get a room with lounge (Club L) access. A very civilised place for a dink or a snack and one of breakfast options. Apart from breakfast we used the Japanese restuarant (Tokoro) which was excellent.

In short the hotel demonstrates that luxury doesn't need to be old fashioned, doesn't require wood panelling or traditional furniture and doesn;t require to be delivered in the most obvious part of town.

You should seriously consider Langham Place for any visit to Hong Kong.

Singapore
Reviewed March 18, 2011

Stayed at Langham Place Mongkok for 3 nights at a Sweet Place suite, they had a good deal where if you were to stay two nights, the third night is free. An excellent bargain! I don't have much expectations of this hotel, although it seems to be quite popular amongst my friends who have been or lived in Hong Kong. Not expecting much, I was however wowed by the service and amenities provided by the hotel.

Location:
Took a short taxi ride to the hotel from Kowloon station. Quick and dandy, the taxi driver had no problems with the location. Took us to the front street entrance, and my first impression is that this hotel is located in the midst of a busy district, the 'real' local HK area!

Took a lift to Club L to check in, there was no one around to guide me and my partner, but luckily I know where to go. No issues, as I assume that the staff were busy attending to other guests, as they seem to be quite busy when I arrived.

Rooms:
Went to Club L on the 36th floor, and was welcomed warmly by the staff. Immediately they provided a drink without prompting, a testament of good service training! Check in was fast, and the check in staff were more than ready to tell us about the amenities available at the hotel. In addition, some small talk was made, very personal and warm; I felt at ease immediately.

Walked over to my room which was on the same floor as Club L, and one thing I appreciated was that they let me and my partner to go to our room alone, without a staff escorting us. This minor detail is much appreciated as I prefer to have some immediate privacy in my room, without having the need to hear a staff tell us more about the hotel/room that I can easily find out for myself.

The room, which was a Sweet Place suite as earlier mentioned, is somewhat small for a suite, but understandable for HK hotels where space is truly a premium. However, it still felt spacious, with a separate living room with a small kitchenette. There were two toilets, the smaller one was located next to the entrance for some quick toilet needs, but does not come with a shower. The larger toilet had a bathtub, a separate shower area and some truly nice amenities. Essentials such as shavers, toothburshes etc were well stocked, and replenished every day when the housekeeping came to clean the room.

Bed was large and comfortable, although a tad too soft for my partner. Not an issue, as housekeeping immediately removed the down feather layer, and my partner slept better after. Plenty of pillows were offered, with an extensive pillow menu, although I did not utilise any. Turn down service was absolutely brilliant, a different gift was offered every evening to help one sleep better, I had a massager on my first night, jellybeans and a stressball on subsequent nights.

Mini bar was well stocked, with plenty of snacks and drinks. Do look in the freezer compartment, they hide some complimentary Ben and Jerry's ice cream there! What I wished they could do better here was to make the canned drinks complimentary, this is especially so when my room allows access to Club L where there is an extensive amount of drink choices. So it is just a matter of where you have the drink, so why not make things easy?

A room service menu was available, but was a tad difficult to decipher as it came in a magazine format bundled with hotel information and some articles etc. Complimentary WiFi was available for the room I was staying in, speeds were fast although the connection tends to drop from time to time at the Club L area.

What I loved most about the room were the small touches they included. A yo-yo for some playing, a chocolate bar that was restocked every day, art trail guide cards (the hotel has plenty of art pieces!), slippers with slogans such as 'Slip Me On', books about Hong Kong and letters from the management to inform you personally of some inconveniences. The room was truly faultless. I thought it might be a little tacky from the pictures I have seen, but it was well executed, and the room was spotless!

Hotel:
Club L was God sent. This is especially so when I need a quick bite before heading out to taste some real HK breakfast, although I always ended up eating too much, as the food selection was absolutely fantastic! Do try the blueberry muffins in the morning, they are one of the best I have ever eaten, with a gooey blueberry jame centre that leaves me wanting more everyday! Snack were available 24 hours, and the drink selection was fantastic. From soft drinks to still and gas water, hard liquor to wines, there was something for every part of the day. Canapes in the evening were of high quality, although I only tried them for one evening. Afternoon tea was good too, the scones came with real clotted cream, which I ended up eating too many of!

There was a pool on the top floor, which looked gorgeous even when I didn't try it out. The changing rooms had a sauna, steam room and a hot bath which was very cool. Tried a massage at the spa, standards were high, can't complain.

Service:
This was where the hotel really shone. Staff were friendly, warm and eager to please. The staff at Club L were so so obliging, and always ready to make small talk, but will leave you alone when you need some privacy. My partner and I felt very comfortable with the staff, so keep up the good work!

Check out was fast and efficient, no complains. In the end, I didn't want to leave the hotel, and wanted to stay there a few nights more. Regretted crossing over the harbour to stay at The Upper House - It was way overpriced with less amenities and Langham Place was miles better.

Overall, this hotel was almost perfect, and this will be one hotel I will not hesitate to return in future!

2 Thank dksenofi