“Nothing Much Has Changed”
Review of Kimberley Hotel

Kimberley Hotel
Ranked #273 of 718 Hotels in Hong Kong
Point Lonsdale, Australia
“Nothing Much Has Changed”
Reviewed June 5, 2013

It is interesting to compare what has been written here by way of review in 2013. Three years ago I stayed at this hotel and still consider it to be the worst I've stayed at in the last few years. When I arrived early in the morning I was to have been given a room straight away after a 10 hour flight (and delays from the airport). I had booked and paid six months prior to my visit to the Kimberley and was told that there was no booking in my name. I produced my copy of the documents which the desk clerk looked at as if they were forgeries. I was asked to wait in a bare unwelcoming foyer where there were no seats free. A tourist group fro Japan occupied all seats and were given a long talk about their itinerary. They were there for almost an hour while I, a middle-aged man, sat on the floor. The clerk was aware that I had no seat and ignored my request for a chair of some sort. I continued to ask at the desk and was met with rudeness and the feeble explanation that they were looking into it. Four hours later the clerk arrived with my key. No apology whatsoever. I asked whether handing me the key constituted an apology and a muttered one was all that was offered. On contacting my travel agent at home I was told that the manager would seek me out and an upgrade of sorts would be made. No such think occurred. I was there for four nights and the floor of the room was not adequately cleaned. I did not report it. Nothing was ever mentioned about the frightful treatment I was accorded on my arrival. I made sure that I would never return - and have not done so.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank Disappointed135
TheKimberleyHotel, N/A at Kimberley Hotel, responded to this review, June 13, 2013
Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding the hotel services. We apologize that you did not get a good taking care at the first moment when you arrived at our hotel. As we strive to provide guests with the highest level of service, we can assure you that we have already re-trained our less experienced Front Office staff. And we believe we could serve you with the best service during your next visit.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Malaysia
Reviewed June 1, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for 3 nights, booked 5 deluxe rooms with 3rd person get complimentary bed. During check-in, we were told that our rooms get free upgraded to suites. We were happy at the beginning but realized that the suites are located at 21st floor where the lift only reach 20th floor. We need to carry our luggages 1 floor up to our rooms. It's a bit inconvenient. Rooms are tidy and clean but beds are quite hard. Anyway, the hotel located strategically near Tsim Sha Tsui shopping area where Sasa, Manning, Giordano, 7-11 and local restaurants are within walking distance. The nearest MTR station exit is within 5-10min walk. Harbour City and Avenue of Stars are quite far away if you are travelling with kids or old folks. There is free airport shuttle to Kowloon MTR station opposite the hotel, the bus will stop in front of Luxe Manor hotel. The only disadvantage about this hotel is NO FREE WIFI, not even in lobby. All are charged.

Room Tip: Will not choose Suite which is located at 21st floor bcos the lift only reach 20th floor.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Mae T
TheKimberleyHotel, N/A at Kimberley Hotel, responded to this review, June 6, 2013
Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding the hotel amenities and facilities. We truly value the opinions of our guests.

Free WiFi service is now available in the hotel lobby, restaurant and outlets for in-house guests. Guests are welcomed to approach the Reception counter for Login ID and Password.

Regarding the hard bed, the hotel offers a soft mattress topper which can be placed on top of the bed. However, the topper is available upon request only. We would suggest that you put a remark during the reservation stage for bedding preference so that we could have better arrangement for your visit.

We apologize for the inconvenience and wish we could have done more to make your night more comfortable.

We believe we could serve you with the best service during your next visit.
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed May 29, 2013

Stayed for Chinese New Year 2013.

This was the second time I've stayed at this hotel. Considering it was peak season, the room rates were reasonable. Close to Nathan Road for shopping choices. Knutsford Terrace was just across the street and there were a lot of choices for small bars and watering holes.

We used the airport tram with shuttle to get here. This was just booked on the spot when we arrived at the airport. The drop off point was almost right next to the hotel. We got to the hotel around 10am. Considering that check-in time was at 2pm, the front desk said they can upgrade our room for a small additional amount and we get to check-in right at that moment. It was a reasonable deal and we took it. We at least got to rest a bit that morning since we caught the 5am flight to get to Hong Kong.

Our package did not include any breakfast. Area was just a few blocks away from the subway station. Very easy to get a cab in font of the hotel as well. Room is not that big but this was alright because we were just going to stay in the hotel to sleep at night. We can stay here again on our next visit to Hong Kong.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank SirisManila
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback and support to the Kimberley Hotel. We hope we could greet you with the warmest welcome soon.
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed May 26, 2013

I choose Kimberley Hotel coz of its central location. While I appreciate the spacious room - considering it is in HK, I have several grouches. Top on the list is cleanliness.

The room and bathroom look clean but I got a rude shock when once, my friend and I happened to be in the room when the cleaner was cleaning the room. I had forgotten to switch off the "Do not disturb" mode when we went out. So, we called for the cleaner when we were back in the afternoon. The cleaner swiftly "cleaned" the room in less than 10 minutes. She merely changed the towels, wipe the wash basin and made the beds. Nothing else was done. The toilet was not even washed. I asked my friend if she heard the toilet flushing, she did not. I then used the toilet and realised the stain I left earlier was still there. The cleaner also did not vacuum the floor.To think Kimberley Hotel rate themselves 4 stars. I would not even give them 3 stars.

Next grouch is the lack of power points. There is only 1 available power point available for use. The alternative is to remove the switch from the tv. As it is double room, my friend and I need to take turns to charge our mobile phones. We did try to remove the switch from the tv so that we can charge at the same time. However, it is very difficult to remove it as it is a narrow gap between the power point and table.

Lastly, we are very unhappy that only 1 device can access the wifi at any one time. We are unsure if it's coz we are entitled to free wifi access that's why only 1 device can access it. However, it is really very inconvenient for us.

Overall, we rate this hotel below average and would not stay here again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank SwiftDreamz
TheKimberleyHotel, N/A at Kimberley Hotel, responded to this review, May 31, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We truly value the opinions of our customers and we apologize that we did not meet your expectations during your stay.

Thank you for your comment regarding the room cleanliness. Our management can assure you that this incident was an isolated one and will not happen again in the future. Your compliant has inspired us to re-train the housekeeper to meet the highest standard.

According to the hotel policy, the use of the complimentary WiFi service is limited to one eligible WiFi device at the the moment. With regards to the switch, we definitely will take your comment into consideration.

Please accept my sincere apologies for any inconveniences caused due to the room cleanliness. We sincerely hope of exceeding your expectations during your next stay with us.

Travelers are raving about these Hong Kong hotels

Quezon City, Quezon City, Philippines
Reviewed May 25, 2013

The only thing I loved about this hotel is that it is very accessible from all the places you need to go to while in Hong Kong - restaurants, malls, stores, money changer, MTR, etc.

If a spacious hotel room is a requirement for you when traveling, you will be disappointed here. Otherwise, Kimberley Hotel is tolerable enough since the rooms are pretty clean and can still give you a good night's sleep. Their breakfast was nothing special but then again most hotels are like this as well.

You can also avail of their wifi for 600HKD valid for 7 days. Fast connection but I find it too costly.

Kimberley Hotel is surely not the best hotel around TST but the location would surely make up for all its flaws.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Michified
Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding the hotel amenities and facilities. It is regret to let you know that the WiFi service is not complimentary at the moment. Regarding the fee, our price is in line with the other hotels in Hong Kong. However, our management definitely will take your comments into consideration as we always strive to make guests’ stay a pleasurable one.
Newcastle,Australia
Reviewed May 18, 2013

My husband and I have stayed in many hotels in various parts of the world and unfortunately this hotel was the worst one ever.The only good thing about it really is the location which is terrific.
This hotel was recommended by our travel agent and I have since placed a complaint as I feel their information was misleading in giving this property a 4 star rating...no way!!
Thankfully we only had a two night stay here.
The reception staff were very unhelpful,room was very small,bed -barely a double,black mould in the bathroom and water stains on the ceiling.We paid extra for the breakfast which was satisfactory but again staff were unhelpful and there is threadbare carpet on the floor.
We paid a lot of money for this hotel and were extremely disappointed and totally disatisfied.
I would not recommend this hotel in Hong Kong-find somewhere else to stay.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Joy63
Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding the hotel services and facilities.

With regards to your comments, we have shared your comments with the relevant department. We can assure you that we have already re-trained our less experienced Reception staff.

We apologize that we did not meet your expectations. Our management definitely will take your comments into consideration as we always strive to make guests’ stay a pleasurable one.

Hope we will meet again in the soonest future.
Cosquin, Argentina
Reviewed May 16, 2013

This hotel was the worst I had been in all my life! first of all we arrived very late at night and the girl at reception was terrible slow to do everything! we paid a lot for a room that have nothing really, and dirty everywhere you look. Wifi it's not included, so you have to pay for it a lot, Breakfast it's also not included, of course i didn't tried the one you can pay , but i'm sure it is disgusting.

Terrible hotel.

Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Erimack
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. We apologize that we did not meet your expectations.

With regards to your comments, we have brought these issues to the relevant departments’ attention. As we strive to provide guests with the highest level of service, we can assure you that we have already re-trained our less experienced Housekeeping and Reception staff.

We believe we could serve you with the best service during your next visit.