3,205 results
All reviewstiffingrissinigrand club loungeharbour roadconvention centerconstruction noisebusiness hotelbusiness tripvictoria harborchinese restaurantexcellent hotelharbor view roomfour seasonsmtr stationhongghrenovation
Reviewed March 4, 2006

Not a lot to say but compliments to the chef. great hotel visually the room which i thought was just basic initiall before going there was more than basic. very comfortable with gold color plating throughout the bathroom.fast high speed internet connection for about $20usd per 24hrs. caught a limo from the airport for 730 hong king dollars. great service as they were waitng for me as soon as i got out of immigration and found their desk. the room had plenty of refrigerated snacks (you have to pay for em') the bathroom had a large tub (kind of jacuzzi) and a great shower. this was all first class and the price fits. the hotel has mediocre hospitality except the bell hops. they dont expect a tip so dont feel guilty if you dont tip anything anywhere. the hotel missed my wake-up call on my day of departure. the hotel had a bar inside with a live band which rocked. for you single guys/gals easy to bring your catch from the bar up via the 2nd floor mezzanine. the only negative i can say is about the bar because it has a lot of high dollar prostitutes pretending/acting like regular people hangin around on one side the bar and normal regular ladies who dont trust you because all the hookers on the other side. you can almost tell the difference. taxi's are cheap as it can get to get to nearby attractions and suburbs. a good 20 minute+ walk from the hotel will put you in the mainstream. i didn't like the food, but i didn't eat everything on the menu also. i brought with me beef jerky and energy bars to supplement. overall my personal rating is 9.5 out of 10 and is recommended for an easy choice.

• Stayed: February 2006, traveled on business
9  Thank timothyh350
Reviewed March 4, 2006

Stayed for two nights on business in late February. The location is, in relative terms, in the middle of nowhere. It’s fine if you’re attending the convention centre, which is adjacent, but otherwise you’ll need a taxi to get around to Central, etc. The lobby and public areas are typical Asian international hotel marble, chandeliers, glitz and glamour – in my opinion a bit garish and dank. I checked in late evening and it took a long time to find a room that was non-smoking (a Hong Kong colleague had warned me beforehand that the hotel is “smoke everywhere” and, indeed, in the lobby area there was smoke wafting everywhere when I arrived: perhaps I was just unlucky). In the end I was sent up with my luggage to a room which turned out to be – Smoking. And it smelled horrible. Back downstairs with my luggage, it now heading on for mid-night and another wait while the Reception staff member spend what seemed like ages tapping into his keyboard. Eventually I got a non-smoking room, feeling tired and disappointed that my preferences were always clear on the Hyatt website. The room was fine but unspectacular. It did have a full harbour view, for which my company was forced to pay a hefty premium, but was quite small (compared with, say, The Conrad or original Mandarin Oriental), and lots of odd little cupboards and switches, supposedly to make the place seem interesting, but just a bit frustrating from my point of view. The bathroom was Liberace over-the-top marble, mirrors and gold taps, etc – all clean but, again, all a bit garish to my taste. Breakfast just off the lobby area was fine, but I seemed to confuse the chef who was stocking up the buffet by asking for a “mixed omelette” (I got one via a waiter in the end, it took quite some time to arrive but was OK to taste). So, overall, a good enough hotel, that charges high rates, has lots of glitz, but little character or anything to dofferentiate itself, and the rooms and service are merely average by Hong Kong standards. I’d return to somewhere more central next time.

• Stayed: February 2006, traveled on business
7  Thank Gemakan
Reviewed January 29, 2006

Stayed here having come from the Grand Hyatt in Shangahai, what a great hotel. Impressive visually, good service, nice rooms, good restaurant, well located overlooking the harbour and a couple of minutes walk from the Star Ferry. And the singer in the champagne bar is a real doll.

• Stayed: November 2005, traveled on business
1  Thank PCO
Reviewed January 4, 2006

Stayed for 2 nights over Xmas. Used points to upgrade to the Club floor. No change in the rooms at all as far as I could see but the Club lounge was a real boon. Just a really nice relaxing space with a great view of the harbour. Extensive breakfast buffet and just as substantial in the evening. Staff were helpful and attentive. We enjoyed it too much and rather wasted the booking to the One Harbour Road Chinese restaurant. We'd only intended catching a drink before the restaurant but were sated by the time we got down there. Really you wouldn't need anything but the lounge.
We've enjoyed each of our stays here, a lot of the opinions criticise it for being a little isolated but I actually quite like that it is not sitting on top of a shopping centre like the other luxury hotels on the island side.
Happily recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: December 2005
8  Thank Partickboy
Reviewed December 10, 2005

I travel to Hong Kong often and have sampled both the Peninsula and Island Shangi-la, (which along with the Grand Hyatt, I would have to argue constitute the three best hotels in Hong Kong), but I continue to come back to the Grand Hyatt.

Where to start. Service at this hotel is top notch, the staff is friendly and attentive, and after ten stays, I cannot honestly recall a time when I was served with anything less than a smiling face. Staff halt whatever they are doing the moment they sense you may need anything. The ladies at the business center are possibly some of the most competent and approachable I have ever come across.

Club rooms are the way to go here. The club lounge is magnificent, always well staffed, and is a quiet retreat where you can look over the harbor and exhibition center below, and the buffet breakfast is fantastic, serving continental or American. Rooms themselves (both Grand and club) are modern, well appointed, and if you were to ask even those who gave a "terrible" rating for whatever reason, I'm sure they would eventually admit that the bathrooms at the Grand Hyatt are possibly the best in HK. Big and marble are how I like my bathrooms, and next to the Park Hyatt Seoul and valley wing at the Shangrila Singapore, these bathrooms are possibly the best in Asia. I left an almost empty bottle of cologne in my room once, came back three months later and there it was carefully placed on small face flanel, positioned next to the soap on the sink, awaiting my arrival.

If you are a gold passport member, platinum or diamond, the staff will make a point of remembering your name from the moment you check in. Small luxuries such as [real] coffee are brought to your room free of charge at anytime you request it, as is the breakfast. Stay there five times, and you become a VIP, although its hard to grasp what this means as I have never felt as though I was anything less.

Some reviews I have read on this site have stated that the location is bad as far as proximity to shopping goes, which is true if you expect the shopping to be right outside your door, and in this case I suggest you find accomodations on Kowloon. Pacific Place, possibly the best shopping mall in HK, is seven minutes walk away, and a couple of bucks if you don't like to sweat and prefer to take a cab, which would get you there faster than it would if you were right above it at the Shangri-la and had to spend half an hour waiting for the elevators that are ALWAYS full.

For long haul fliers, I recommend the mercedes airport pickup, (about 790HKD if i recall), which is well worth the extra. The driver even offers a Norah Jones soundtrack along with the wet towel, bottled water and newspaper awaiting you in the back seat.

• Stayed: November 2005, traveled on business