“Tidbits”

Ranked #15 of 726 Hotels in Hong Kong
Reviewed June 6, 2014

I rarely write reviews about big properties like this one. However, there are a few tidbits of info that might make your stay better should you choose this hotel.

- Harbor facing rooms have the view - and the noise. Rooms facing the Renaissance have no view ... and no noise. Choose your poison.

- Newly renovated rooms are a big improvement. If you stay @ this Hyatt ask for one of the updated rooms.

- Executive lounge is one of the best I have ever been to - worth the $$$

- WiFi is devilishly slow. Sure, you can pay more $$$ for faster service but that is annoying.

- Getting a taxi can be a hit or miss proposition so plan a little extra time, especially at busy hours

- Champagne bar is a big plus

Overall, a very good hotel choice

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
gladisyoung, Director of Marketing Communications at Grand Hyatt Hong Kong, responded to this reviewResponded June 9, 2014

Dear Tidbits

Greetings. Thank you for your feedback. Delighted to know that you have enjoyed our newly designed room, Grand Club and Champagne Bar. With regards to the renovation noise, we have restricted that from 10:00am to 5:00pm only in order to minimise disturbances of guests.

Thank you for staying with us. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed June 5, 2014

I came to Hong Kong for business, and arrived around midnight. At the check-in desk, I asked for a complimentary upgrade, which I am entitled to since I hold a platinum status with Hyatt Passport. The clerk refused, saying they may sell these upgraded rooms since it is a high season. So I took my keys and went to my room. It is a decent room overlooking the garden. the bathroom is very nice with separate shower and a tub. the desk is nice, but there is no swivel chair for it, but rather solid wood chair, which I found very uncomfortable. Other than this, no major issues so far. Next morning, I woke up on the brutal sound of workers digging somewhere in the hotel. I didn't like that. Another problem is when I flush the toilet, yellow water comes out, which was probably from the construction they are doing in the hotel. The thing that really ticked me off was the TV. While watching any channel, it picture freezes and stops responding to any remote operation, even when trying to turn it off and on. This was happening constantly, every 5 minutes of watching TV, it takes another 5 minutes to get out of its freezing and reboot itself. I finally went down and complained. They sent a technician who spent an hour fixing it, and it is fixed. They also apologized for the noise and the yellow toilet water. I asked the clerk at the front desk if she can include the lounge access because of this inconvenience, but she refused. I felt like she was a robot who was given a script to read in case of problem, and no matter what I say, she just says that script. I found it very unprofessional, although friendly. I should mention that she sent me a box of mini cookies as a form of apology, which I found it to be a good gesture I stayed there 5 nights, and I would definitely stay somewhere else if I come to Hong Kong again.
The lobby is nice, and the location is tight next to the convention center, which is great since my business was there. My colleague stayed for 7 days, and paid extra to be upgraded to a similar room but on the harbor view. That view was much better than my garden view. He can see the nightly light show across the harbor, which we both enjoyed in his room.
I hope this review can be useful to the readers.

Room Tip: Get the harbor view, you can see the nightly light show from the room.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business

Dear Redwan A

Greetings. Thank you for your feedback. Noted your dissatisfaction on some issues and we are aware that some problems have been resolved right away. With regards to the renovation noise, we have restricted it from 10:00am to 5:00pm in order to minimise disturbances to guests. We appreciate your understanding. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed June 3, 2014

I stayed at the GH for a couple of nights in June 2014. The hotel is functional and clean and the room was comfortable. No issues there. I also liked the option of having free wi-fi, particularly while outside by the pool.

Speaking of the pool, this is my only source of disappointment... I went to the pool early in the morning and tried to order drinks. Staff at the pool acted like no one has ever ordered drinks before. I had to talk to 4 different people. I also asked for some fruit, and I was told no fruit was available. Then I saw some guy next to me being handed a plate of mixed fruits and another one walking buy munching on a banana. I asked again for food, and the waiter said he couldn't take my order till 11.30 am. I looked at the watch and it was 11.28! I waited two minutes, and ordered my food, which didn't arrive till I asked twice about it. I asked if I could start a tab and the guy couldn't understand the concept and then said it was either cash or room charge. And so on... It was odd... The pool area was fantastic and I had a great time in the sun, water, etc. But the service provided was a bit amateurish. It was only when we moved from the lounges area to a table that things improved.

So overall, a very good hotel in HK, but my service experience by the pool let it down a bit, I'm afraid.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
gladisyoung, Director of Marketing Communications at Grand Hyatt Hong Kong, responded to this reviewResponded June 5, 2014

Dear Therooster

Greetings. Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We thank you for choosing to stay with us. With regards to your disappointment at the poolside, we shall look into it. If I may request that you advise the date you visited the pool? That would be much appreciated. I can be reached at gladis.young@hyatt.com.

Thank you very much.

Reviewed June 3, 2014

Wonderful rooms, good locations, excellent service!
I recommend the buffet Dinner at night. A huge selection of Asian and European specialities. Directly connected with a big conference / expedition centre.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
gladisyoung, Director of Marketing Communications at Grand Hyatt Hong Kong, responded to this reviewResponded June 4, 2014

Dear G S

Greetings. Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We appreciate your compliments on our rooms, location, service and buffet. It has been our pleasure to have you as our guest. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed June 2, 2014

my famly vacation... everything is good!! location, view, service, clud house, pool.. but can't drink coffee in room.. hotel location very goog hotel view is very very good~ service good hotwl pool is very good

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hyatt Hotels

Dear Jaeyeol L

Greetings. Thank you for your great feedback. Delighted to know that you and your family have had an enjoyable stay with us. It has been our pleasure to have you as our guests. Hope that you will be back again soon.

Reviewed June 1, 2014

Just had a very relaxing and enjoyable stay in one of the hotels new harbour view rooms. The rooms are sleak, practical and very comfortable. The openness entends the bathroom to the harbour when the privacy blind is opened. The lighting is also brilliant, with some very cool options. Plugs sockets galore make it very practical for holiday and business use. I can't find a fault with the rooms and only wish other hotels could follow this template!

• Stayed: June 2014

Dear Steve P

Greetings. Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate your compliments. Delighted to know that you have enjoyed our newly-designed guestrooms. The visually-blend bathroom and bedroom is one of the great features of the new rooms. Thanks again for choosing to stay with us. Look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed June 1, 2014

Stayed here for a week and I find the service and amenities fantastic. May be a little far from the MTR but the convenience of the pedestrian bridge makes the walk a breeze. View of the harbor is amazing.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hyatt Hotels
Thank Andrew Ching Yo... L
gladisyoung, Director of Marketing Communications at Grand Hyatt Hong Kong, responded to this reviewResponded June 2, 2014

Dear Andrew Ching Yo...L

Warm greetings. Thank you for sharing your feedback. Delighted to know that you had a satisfactory stay. Thank you again for choosing to stay with us. Hope to welcome you back soon.