“Dorsett Seaview Hotel, reasonably comfortable”

Silka Seaview Hotel
Ranked #174 of 723 Hotels in Hong Kong
Reviewed October 9, 2010

For a brief stay the room facilities were reasonable and the double bed comfortable up against the wall. There was no view of the sea but the nearby night markets could be seen from the window. WiFi access was very poor from the room but better near the elevator. Staff were friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank CairnsAussie52

Reviewed September 27, 2010

We stayed here for a few nights. My biggest complain involves the size of the hotel room, which was tiny!. The staff was a bit rude too. Overall we found our stay to be comfortable, mainly because of the good location in the heart of Kowloon.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 7, 2010

the hotel is good,. the room is clean, the breakfast is good... but the staff is rude, its hard to communicate with....the television inside the room has no cable...no signal for the wifi...its so hard to get signal in your room...

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled solo
2  Thank beautytaguig
Reviewed August 27, 2010

THe hotel has got newly renovated. The rooms are clean and comfortable. Though the reception is not great, this hotel is a good choice for its price in the centre of th ecity, near the mtr and food joints

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business
SilkaHotel, General Manager at Silka Seaview Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 4, 2015

Dear guest,

Thank you for your review. We are delighted to learn that you are overall satisfied with your stay with us. Look forward to welcoming you back again very soon.

Reviewed August 20, 2010

The main purpose of my 3D/2N trip to Hong Kong was to shop. I chose the Dorsett Seaview Hotel despite mixed reviews because of the location and the price. I'm glad I did.

Good Points:
* Great location next to the Temple Street Night Market and Jade Market. There is a 7-11 just around the corner. Yau Ma Tei MTR station is a 5 minute walk and the A21 Bus Stop that gets you to and from the airport is just a stone's throw away. There is a cheap internet place across the street along Nathans Road for just $8/hr. Also along this road are McDonalds, Burger King, and a lot of decent eating places and shops all the way up to Mong Kok. It was so easy for me to stop at the hotel to rest or take a quick shower in the middle of the day as the weather was hot with occasional heavy rains.
*Reasonably priced room with great A/C, strong water pressure, consistent hot water even in the morning, usual amenities--hair dryer, soap/shampoo/toothbrush/toothpaste, room safe for valuables, coffee maker and a small fridge
*Hotel service where you could leave your luggage in the lobby after check-out

Not So Good Points:
*Tiny room and bathroom. (I booked a standard room.) Since I was out shopping most of the time anyway and had the room to myself, it was no big deal for me.
*TV with only 1 English Channel
*2 Small Elevators for 19 floors. This is a pain between the hours of 7:30-9:30am.
*Very difficult to make my needs known or ask questions from the front desk staff. They really need someone who is comfortable speaking in English.
*Pricey buffet breakfast with limited selection. Go to McDonald's across Nathans Hotel

Verdict: If you stand 6 feet and up, and/or weigh more than 250 lbs, using the bathroom would be very difficult so you might want to get a bigger room. Otherwise, this hotel had everything that I needed.

• Stayed: August 2010
1  Thank prettycat1
Reviewed August 19, 2010

The Dorsett Seaview Hotel is in a fab location on Kowloon island as its just a minutes walk to Nathan Road and the MTR (train station: Yau Ma Tei). If you spend some time walking around the hotel area, you'll find a supermarket on the next street, a laundrette, art house cinema and a couple of fast food chains and also small cafes and larger restuarants.

It is directly above Temple St markets and opposite the temple itself. Spend some time to get to know the area as it does offer many conveniences.

Its not the most glam location in HK but its greatly located and within easy walking distance to Tsim Sha Tsui, Mong Kong and Jordan. Its in an old part of Kowloon and if you walk the streets, you'll see alot of old hong kong, before it eventually all gets demolished.

The rooms are basic and on the small side (but so are most of the rooms in HK hotels) and have very basic amenities (mini bar, safety box, TV, A/C) but its very well priced compared to others in the same price bracket, this hotel is alot newer and better than the other places. The bathroom is basic but serves its purpose and the room has been cleverly designed to make the most of the space.

Service in the hotel was a bit disappointing, when we booked their promo special, breakfast for one was supposed to be included along with a welcome fruit plate. However, none of these were offered upon check-in and I totally forgot about the breakfast inclusion as I went downstairs to a very good cafe each day instead. It seems they get a lot of group bookings so service tends to be a bit slack and so/so and can be lacking if you don't belong to a group. However, they did meet the basic services of a 3-star hotel and at this rate, there isnt much to complain about.

I would stay here again for the location and basic rooms. Other better alternatives in HK would probably cost you double so dont expect first-class service. Besides, when in HK, who stays in the hotel all day?

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed August 14, 2010

When I made the reservation they made an authorization on my credit card to prove the validity of it, wath is normal and I agree, but after 3 or 4 days they charge me again another ammount, in total 130€. I ask about this one and nobody knows about it, but my money is retained by the hotel. At arrival they asked me again for a credit card. I tell them I want to pay the whole stay and I do not want another authorization, because with an authorization your money is not cashed by hotel, but they retain you the money for 3 or 4 weeks. So, if you have 3000 € limit, and they block 2000 €, you have only a remain on your account of 1000 €, and maybe it is not enough for paying even the hotel invoice!
The guy at reception says ok, but he makes an authorization, again. Ok, he can make a mistake... He block me the whole stay and a deposit, when he has already 130€... I ask him to cancel the 130€ and his answer is: ok madam, don`t worry, I will take care.
During my whole stay I ask everyone at reception, and nobody knows about the matter and nobody do anything, but the answer is always I will take care of it.
By check out time the lady at reception give me the invoice and requiere again my credit card to make the charge again!!! Three weeks after my stay, I am still waiting the cacellation of all the charges they have made on my credit card, and all this without any explanation or solution. Incredible!
And about the room... air ventilation has been never cleaned!
And if you want to reach them, forget the email! They will never answer you!
I have travelled a lot around the world, but I have never seen so a awful service!, and about credit cards, I think it is a very important thing and they must handle them with a minimum of security and resposibility! They can not play with them as they want!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple