“Very bad hotel, rude employees”

Silka Seaview Hotel
Ranked #173 of 718 Hotels in Hong Kong
Miami Beach, Florida
“Very bad hotel, rude employees”
Reviewed April 14, 2013

Rooms are very small, around 10sqm (110 sq/feet) yet the botel is pretty expensive. There is only 2 non smoking floors. All these rooms were already taken so we were given a smoking room. Problem was our room didn't have a large bed so we had to sleep separated in single beds. Room was dated, smelled bad, window was dirty. We heard noise all night because of the thin walls. We were told we can change our room the next day. So the next day we went to talk to the receptionist. Sunny, that is his name, was the most rude receptionist I have ever met. He just blew us off. No there was no other room for us and that was it. He was't sorry at all, he just didn't care and spoke to us in a very agressive way like we were bothering him and he wanted to be left alone. I'm amazed this guy has been hired to deal with guests. I told him he should learn to speak nicely to his guests, he could'nt care less about my comment.
We will never come back in this parody of a hotel, the worst i've been to so far.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
8 Thank jasperzzz
DorsettIntl, Director of MarCom, Dorsett Hospitality International at Silka Seaview Hotel, responded to this review, May 24, 2013
Dear Jasper

Thank you for your constructive feedback, contents of which I am personally looking into. Being in the hospitality industry, I certainly concur with you, that service personnel needs to be more courteous and warm in attending to all our guests requests and needs, regardless of whether the request/s can be fulfilled or otherwise.

Rest assured, I will look into this immediately and if found to be true, the staff mentioned will be dealt with accordingly.

Once again, please accept my sincere apologies on the unpleasant experience which you have encountered during your stay with us.

Yours sincerely
Richard Kwong

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed April 12, 2013

The hotel was a lot better this time around than the last time. I have always liked this part of Hong Kong since it is so much more authentic. Around the corner are numerous street restaurants where you can get a very good feed for a very cheap price. It is also next to the Temple Street Night Markets, which is a hive of activity from about 6 pm to 11 pm. The rooms are a little small though, but that is what you would expect from Hong Kong, and they do not offer breakfast as a part of the package. However for what you pay it is still a good hotel. Also it is a pick up point for a number of tours.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
DorsettIntl, Director of MarCom at Silka Seaview Hotel, responded to this review, April 14, 2013
Dear MrDavetheSarks

Thank you for staying with us again and it's always good to have a happy camper. Certainly, we look forward to be of service to you on your next visit.

Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed April 7, 2013

Compact room for 2, clean and tidy. Location is worth to walk from MTR Yaumatei, The best place for dining around. Walking street is not far for shopping and bargaining. One Star missing because I was checked in next to smoking room :( while only 4 non-smoking floors.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear ohojnung

Thank you for staying with us on your recent trip and we are pleased to learn that you have found our hotel's location most conducive to explore the surrounding attractions.

Reviewed April 7, 2013 via mobile

Location - I found it hard to find due to several same looking street. Even got lost several times.

Lobby - very small yet crowded. Check in and check out takes a long time. Staff isn't very friendly and helpful. One time i asked for two room keys thwy wont't give me though i have explained me & my sis going on different direction

Room - very very small even for Hongkong! When i entered my room, a weird garlic smell come from we-don't-know-where, worse..the carpet stinks. I would suggest Kimberly hotel.. It's way better than Silka and the price difference is not that much!

• Stayed April 2013
2 Thank Leslytania
Dear Leslytania

We regret to note that you did not have a memorable stay with us and for this, please accept our sincere apologies.

On most occasions, we do receive favourable feedback in regards to our hotel location and level of service as well as cleanliness. However, we do value your feedback as it is through constructive comments such as yours are we able to improve ourselves. Unfortunately, there's nothing much we can do with regards to the size of our rooms and lobby.

Once again, our apologies and thank you for your feedbacks.

Travelers are raving about these Hong Kong hotels

Quezon City
Reviewed April 6, 2013

We stayed here for Four days and Three nights and so let me break this review into two parts, namely the hotel and the staff.

The area of this hotel is really good for it stands near bazaars and other shopping places. But the hotel, although clean and modern in design, is small. The rooms are small that there's no space to place your luggage. I have read that this is the standard for Hong Kong hotels but an additional space would surely be helpful. By the way, we stayed at room 513 and trust me, you wouldn't be able to stretch your feet when you take the bed near the window. So, people with 5'6 in height should take notice of this.

The staffs, like what others said are terrible. They are not only unhelpful but also grumpy. All they did was frown; believe me or not that I didn't even saw them smile during my whole stay. I know that the hotel management regularly conducts staff meetings but why is that there are still no improvements? Avoid the guy named Tong, because he is useless and angry all the time.

As a teacher, let me give this hotel an advice: A good hotel (the decorations, location, etc.) is always overlooked when it has terrible staffs. Maybe it's high time for the hotel management to change its people. There's nothing bad to smile and be helpful to your guests. I don't think that I'll be staying in this hotel ever again.

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank ongjv
Dear Ongjv

Thank you so much for your detailed comments about our hotel and its services. Whilst I am not trying to make any excuses about the shortcomings which you have highlighted, I would like to point out that we do have rooms of varying sizes to cater to the different needs of our customers.

As to the level of service and the staff named, I will definitely look into this and if found to be true, will have appropriate measures in place to avoid any future re-occurence.

Singapore
Reviewed April 3, 2013

Booked less than 2 weeks before check-in for 2 nights Deluxe room through hotel directly, paid total HKD1881 without breakfast. Book early to get a better rate.

Check in - Agreed with the past reviews, front desk staffs were expressionless however they carry out their main duty efficiently: to process the check in and out of guests at the shortest time. The only staff I met who will greet and smile at you were the housemaid.

Room : tiny room, smaller than what I expected for a deluxe room, but clean from bedding to the bathroom. Housekeeping did a good job. Room suitable only for those who need a clean and comfortable sleep, If you have children with you, I think it’s not suitable as there aren’t enough space for 2 person to move around at the same time. Note: Water in the mini bar chargeable.

Location: Good location, 5 mins walk to “Yau Ma Tei “ MTR station. From airport take Bus A21, get down at “Yau Ma Tei” bus-stop along Nathan Road. ( if you miss this stop, alight at next stop "Jordan" and walk backward). After alighting from bus, need to cross to the opposite side of the road, and turn into either Wing Sing Lane (hotel on left about 150 m away at the cross junction between Wing Sing Lane and Shanghai Street ) or Public Square Street (hotel on the right corner along public Sq. St and Shanghai Street).

Overall: Comfortable stay. Will still pick this hotel if the price is right.

Room Tip: Deluxe Room a better choice.