“Bad experience in this Hotel. BE CAREFUL with your Credit Card.”

Silka Seaview Hotel
Ranked #170 of 721 Hotels in Hong Kong
Reviewed March 3, 2013

I have a bad experience in this hotel. They double billed my other credit card. Just when I thought that they would only get charges for my "incidentals" which is only worth 500HKD when they asked for my other credit card, I was surprised to find out that they charged me the whole 3 nights stay worth 5,800 HKD which I already paid in full thru AGODA. So if ever they will ask you for your security deposit, and have already booked and paid thru other hotel booking site like agoda.com, don't give them your credit card, give cash instead. Hotel front desk staff are dumb! They don't speak and understand English that's why a lot of errors are made. You see how communication barriers affect the business. They can not even afford to give a smile to guests as if they were robots. Their front desk people should better be working as maintenance or janitorial staff so guests can not see their unfriendly and frowning faces. Did the management of this hotel knows the basic of what their business is supposed to be -- which is hospitality? I think Management staff came from a very low standard hotel management schools that's why they can not manage their hotel properly. Imagine, placing unfriendly, non-english speaking and incompetent staff at the front desk of their hotel? Terrible! Very small rooms, expensive wifi charges, small elevator, snobbish staff.... and to sum it up I really have a horrible stay here. So don't commit my mistake of choosing this hotel. There are other better hotels to stay nearby but NOT this one.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank Jason W
kattie64, Director of Marketing and Communications at Silka Seaview Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 9, 2013

Dear Jason

We regret to note that you have had so many challenges during your stay with us. Our customers are very important to us and we take your comments seriously; and have conducted a thorough investigation based on your feedback.

Unfortunately without full details of your stay with us, we are unable to carry out a thorough investigation and likewise with Agoda to verify this. Would it be possible for you to email us with your details so that we can look into this matter immediately and revert to you with a satisfactory answer. You may send your details to the attention of: barry.lo@silkahotels.com

Whilst we are not trying to make any excuses with regards to our frontliners' level of service, it does come as a surprise to us that they were rated as such. Nevertheless, we do value your feedback and we have requested the relevant department to review this issue.

In our hotel, we do have rooms of varying sizes to cater to the needs of our guests with complimentary wifi available at our cafe. Even though Silka Hotels is a value-led brand , we take pride in the fact that we do provide value-added services and full-fledge facilities and services such as concierge and complimentary shuttle service to selected destinations.

Jason - we do understand that you are upset over the recent experience. However, we hope you will accord us the opportunity to prove our service to you once again should you visit Hong Kong next. Please do not hesitate to be in contact directly with Barry Lo who will be more than happy to assist and to ensure that your next service is nothing but excellent.

There are newer reviews for Silka Seaview Hotel

Reviewed March 2, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is located right by the "Ladies market" and is a block away from Nathan Road. The MTR Yaumatei station is walking distance, and a little further, but still comfortable walking distance, is Mongkok. A 7-11 and a grocery (Wellcome) are both accessible too. There are lots of local eateries to choose from around the hotel. If you're in the retail food business, there are shops by Shanghai st. In terms of location, this hotel has its benefits.

The rooms are a bit small, but comfortable & complete. Space is after all quite expensive in HK. The bed & mattress are fine & comfy. Amenities are complete: ref, safe, complimentary tea & coffee, etc. Bathroom is also complete: quality soap, lotion, dryer, shaving cream, shampoo, hot & cold water, etc. The wifi in the room was quite decent.

Service was generally okay. My only beef with this hotel is their buffet breakfast. They NEVER changed their food 'choices' for entire 4 days we were there, which weren't many to begin with. On the 3rd day, i was forcing the food down my throat already.

All in all, I would still recommend this hotel for those travelling to HK with shopping in mind. You can pass up on the buffet breakfast option though if you're staying more than 2 nights.

• Stayed: February 2013
2  Thank mike321ph
DorsettIntl, Director of Marketing & Communications at Silka Seaview Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2013

Dear Mike321ph

We are happy to learn that overall you had a good experience with our hotel and found the location as well as other services and facilities up to your expectation.

Also, thank you so much for sharing your comments with regards to the breakfast spread and I will definitely address this with our team.

Reviewed February 26, 2013

Stayed for 4 days and had a great experience. The location is really excellent - near the night market, shops, restaurants, Nathan Road and the Yau Ma Tei MTR.

The service is really nice. My wife and daughter went earlier than I to the hotel and they were given rooms even before 12:00 noon. On our last day, they extended our room up to 5:00pm so our group can have a depository for their luggage while we spend the last few hours of our HK stay shopping in the nearby stores. They cleaned the rooms and changed the towels everyday.

Downside: breakfast is okay but it's the same menu every morning when we were there. Also, the hallway on our floor (3rd floor) smelled of cigarette smoke (I think they have more smoking floors than non-smoking floors).

TIP: There's a bakery near the hotel (walk along Public Square St. towards Reclamation St., near McDonald's) that sells delicious breads and egg tarts at reasonable prices.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank vansky
kattie64, Director of MarCom, Dorsett Hospitality International at Silka Seaview Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 1, 2013

Dear Vansky

It is always good to hear from our guests that they have had a good experience staying in our hotel. Thank you so much for your positive feedback.

With regards to cigarette smoke, we do apologise on this matter. Our hotel has smoking and non-smoking rooms and as with smell, it does transmit through the air. Henceforth, this situation. However, we will look into this issue and study the best solution possible to minimise this in the long run.

Reviewed February 23, 2013 via mobile

right is the heart of nathan road, 15 min walk to victoria harbour, it really is there but without the noise and traffic. the rooms are small but all rooms in hong kong are small whether u pay a fortune or budget thats how it is. Its clean, friendly staff great wifi and has a useful shuttle bus to and from kowloon train station. The only thing i would say is they have great lunch time buffet 12-3 but its not its 12-2 it would be handy if it was longer or had two sittings. it was really yummy and good value but we just never wanted to eat a big meal at that time. overall really good!

• Stayed: February 2013
2  Thank sam12370
kattie64, Director of MarCom, Dorsett Hospitality International at Silka Seaview Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2013

Dear Sam

It's certainly heartening for us to learn that we have yet another happy camper in our hotel. Thank you for all your positive feedback and that our level of service as well as facilities have lived up to your expectation, if not exceeding.

Best regards

Reviewed February 21, 2013

Choosing hotel in Hong Kong can be a bit tricky when you are on a budget. a lot of hotel/motel can be really tempting as they are so cheap and at the same time accessible, but would you compromise your safety? I have read the reviews of some of the motels that cost bet $30-80. Most of them have no secured entrance according to reviews. When I was deciding what hotel to choose before going to Hong Kong (my first time there) I had to list down the things that I want in a hotel and had to prioritize which one is more important.
1. Safe - the hotel has it's own entrance.
2. Clean - you'd be surprised how clean this hotel is considering the amount of money you are paying (this is based on my experience from travelling).
3. Acessible - Night market (temple market) starts just outside the hotel. walk a couple of blocks (10-15min) and you can reach Ladies Market. 5 min walk from Yew Ma Tei MTR station.
4. Budget Friendly - I paid around 90 for a room for 2 pax. a little bit pricey but i got my money's worth.
5. Size - it is true that the hotel room is small, but you are not gonna stay there the whole day right?

If I will be going back to Hong Kong again, I will definitely choose Silka Seaview again!

*tip: though their breakfast is okay, i suggest that you just walk around the corner and eat at the eatery there, their noodles is good :)

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank nagaraya n

Dear Nagaraya

Thank you so much for your positive checklist on the hotel's facilities and services. We are happy to learn that you have enjoyed your stay with us and all the positive endorsements.

It's good to know that we have lived up to your expectations and I will share this with our team.

Thank you once again and we look forward to your continued support.

Reviewed February 14, 2013

Second time staying in silka seaview hotel for its location. Near to temple street and food stalls can be seen around the area. There is a 7-11 behind the hotel. Stayed over during CNY this time. Room was renovated. Hotel counter staff was talking behind the counter when there's nobody. No greetings, nothing. I have to open the doors myself even though I'm pulling my luggage and holding on to other things. Very big difference in service standards compared to the hotel I've stayed in Taiwan. Bedsheets were dirty and it causes my leg to itch. Good wifi reception in the room.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Wynn

Thank you for staying with us again on our return trip and please accept my sincere apologies on the shortfall of services this time round by our team.

I will definitely address your feedback with the departments concerned to ensure that they are more mindful of respective roles in the hotel.

Yours sincerely

Reviewed February 13, 2013

The room for us was not small as we expected. In fact we felt it was quite spacious. Opposite the hotel, there is a Hui Lau Shan dessert shop. Behind the hotel was Temple Street. The well known "Four Season Claypot Rice" restaurant was just a few minutes walk away from the hotel. It is really a strategic location.

Highly recommended!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LindaTay
kattie64, Director of MarCom, Dorsett Hospitality International at Silka Seaview Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 14, 2013

Dear Linda

It is always good to receive good feedback from our guests and we are happy to learn that you have enjoyed your stay with us; and found the location of our hotel most convenient for you.

We look forward to seeing you again in Hong Kong and the opportunity to be of service to you again in the near future.

Warmest regards