“A few days in HK” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #106 of 712 Hotels in Hong Kong
Zug, Switzerland
“A few days in HK”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2014 via mobile

First time at this hotel (as part of a small group). Good location with respect to public transportation.

Very friendly and attentive / supportive staff - as a guest we felt good at the City Garden.

Nice restaurant Garden Café and specialty restaurant Satay with southeast Asian treats

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (168)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Singapore, Singapore
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2014

My friend has made a reservation at this hotel thru booking.com on 6 march for 10 to 17 May and we made a cancellation on 10 march complying to the free cancellation policy, I was so shock when my friend received her credit card statement showing City Garden has charged us HKD5,621 for a 7 nights stay on 3 April! The charge will be due on 14 May and we are not going to pay for it hence it will sure incur interest charges! I have contacted the hotel directly and booking.com has also stepped in to assist and I hope to resolve this soon, It has greatly caused s stress and spoiled my holiday mood as I will be travelling this weekend and I trust that I will not truly enjoy my holiday with this issue pending. Utterly upset and disappointed...

Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank FlorenceKou
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2014

City Garden has an alternative name within my company (1st word sounds like city but slight difference) but I won't tell it here as it would no do the place justice. It's basic, bit outdated and location may not seem very convenient but: you can get really good deals on the rooms and then it becomes interesting. standard and plus rooms are the same in my view, rooms quite spacey, they sometimes have a mould problem on a floor which you can smell with the airco on but will normally move you around easily if you ask for it. Location is actually quite nice if you want to see something more than causeway bay. Couple of nicel restaurants around (I especially like to vietname place that's up the road from the main entrance) and it's close to metro stop. Breakfast not so special and more aimed towards tour groups from mainland I believe

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Auckland, New Zealand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2014

I have stayed at this hotel for the last 5 years as the rooms are big for Hong Kong the breakfast is great and they had a bus to take you to the convention centre for the fair. This year i booked on line no mention of needing a ticket for the bus So we were not allowed on the bus this was terrible service I will not stay here again as I need to get to the fair and staying here has become to hard.

• Stayed April 2014
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2014

It's not particularly value for money - almost two hundred usd a night but the location is in a grimier part of Hong Kong, the rooms are tired and the bathroom cramped, and the view is quite hideous. Completely appreciate the fact that Hong Kong is out of space and everything is expensive but more research indicated that for the same price, you can still get a lot of different beautiful boutique hotels in a better part of town with newly refurbished rooms and superior views. The good thing is that it is pretty well-run, there is a big lobby and check in is pretty efficient, the dining room for breakfast was lovely and there were alot of options and even thought the location is not desirable, it is still a direct tram/mtr/bus straight to City within a few stops. So if the company has booked you there, don't despair its easy to travel into the nicer parts of town, but if you had a choice of where to stay, you may want to do more research for hotels around this price in Hong Kong as there are certainly more options....

Room Tip: As high as possible to avoid getting a view of just rows and rows of apartment blocks.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Mumbai (Bombay), India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2014

Hi,
My wife and I were keen on a hotel with a good track record having a convenient location.

Location/Connectivity :: Great
Hotel is part of the Airport shuttle route and is situated about 500m from the North Point MTR.
There's a 7 Eleven just outside the hotel which is great for last minute supplies.

We called for in-room dining once which tasted good (one Phad Thai and one pasta) and our remaining meals at the hotel were only the breakfast buffet which we enjoyed thoroughly. It had a vast spread and quite some variety. We spent 4 mornings attempting to exhaust all the items for a taste - I doubt we managed it.

Rooms
We booked ourselves in the Signature room which starts from the 23rd floor up. There's barely a glimpse of the harbour view even at that height, thanks to a clutter of residential buildings equally high up. Guess the view pays off only on the top floors. Turned out that it was a bit noisy because of our room being near the lift so the receptionist promptly upgraded us to the 25th. What a nice surprise! However, it didn't really help us get a better view.

Room was very clean and gave a cosy feel although we felt it could have been a little bigger in size. Thankfully, we were out most of the day so we didn't feel the pinch.

The bell boy attended to us as soon as we alighted from the airport shuttle to handle our luggage but the reception desk was a bit inefficient in addressing customers. Anyhow, we got through the check-in and were directed to the counter up on the 24th (I think) because we had a signature room to us. There, after a bit of back and forth because the lady wasn't very conversant in English, we got to our room.

Housekeeping staff was supportive but unfortunately, unable to speak in English. You'll probably have to master your non verbal skills whilst requesting for accessories and stressing on keywords like "SOAP" , "NEW TOWEL" and the like.

Ambience
While most of the stay was pleasant, the hotel seemed to be a popular choice for group bookings - mostly people from the mainland - as we saw them moving in and out of hotel in droves. There was also a hint of business executives lodged at the premises. We saw them only during the morning hours at the breakfast buffet!

Room Tip: 1. Visit the official website for great offers (not available on this site) 2. Pick a room away fro...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Surabaya, Indonesia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2014

Every year me and my family will come to HongKong for vacation.

On 2012 I was stayed in this hotel for 6 nights under the room number 2213.

While on 2013 I came back to stay again for 6 nights under the room number 1923. I found this room is cozier than 2213.

We book a Suite Room every time we came to stay. The room itself is spacious and clean. The hotel location is close to Fortress Hill MTR which is just ard 10 mins walk away. Breakfast is great and value for money. The lady staff for garden cafe is very friendly. She try to learn my local language for greet me every time we visit the restaurant and she is very helpful too.

For the service, on 2012 I was having a great service in this hotel, especially Ms. Rossi Chan (if i'm not mistaken). She was one of the staff at 25th floor of lounge room. On my first time stay in this hotel, I book for 4 days and we had a good journey also in HK. Then this staff is asking me whether I would like to extend in this hotel and I said I had book a ticket to Singapore and she said will help me to arrange it. Bumps, it was like a magic, she do it just for a few mins by calling her friends who working in airlines and I extend for two more nights.
Everyday I had a big bowl of fruits and 1 plate which have 3 chocolate, 3 cookies and candies with 1 bottle of wine. Not just than that, I can entry or use the lounge anytime I want without any restrictions. When my family come to visit me, it was crowded in my room and she let me to use the lounge for having a chat with my family.

On 2013, when I came back to stay in this hotel. I found that this staff has been resigned and as I imagine that this time wouldn't be great as before is happened. The staff is not helpful and not friendly. When I entry to the lounge she always keep asking me from which room number? and when my family came to visit me she said there's a restriction which is only 3 persons from my room can entry the lounge. Moreover, they just send a small small plate of fruit once per check-in with one bottle of water.

As a recommendation for this hotel, if you want having a loyal customer then you should be loyal to the customer back. Try to manage an excellence and qualify staff under their position or department.

I will come back again to stay in this hotel on this year July 21 for 6 nights. I hope there's an improvement for the service and quality. While this hotel can't maintain a good service and quality for guest, then we will had a second option of hotel.

Thank you and have a nice day!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family