“Great value” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #152 of 712 Hotels in Hong Kong
Seattle, Washington
“Great value”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2011

We got upgraded to a suite, which was very small but comfortable. The location was idea - 5 minutes walk to the escalators, zoo, and with a shuttle to the convention centre. Staff was efficient and friendly.

Room Tip: Pony up for the Harbour View rooms. The views are stunning.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (214)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2011

I had a really good impression of this hotel when i stayed there this summer.The hotel has a free shutle service from the Hong Kong central station. The staff was very nice and the price was really good for Hong Kong. The room where rather small but confortable and very clean. I wasn't at he pool so i can't say something about that.The location is perfect. Only hundert meter away is the central escalator and you reach the district soho where are a lot of restaurant and bars in 5min by foot. just in front of the hotel is a bus station. only negative point was the air conditioning which was installed just above the bed. But overall i really liked my stay ther. For that reason i choosed the same hotel when i came back to hong kong 1 weeks later...

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Razzor9000
Brussels, Belgium
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2011

Look all hotels in HK are trying to impress clients. This one is first on the other side (HSBC tower side for novice). Rooms are average but if you ask nicely an high floor you could get better view than any 6 stars hotels by paying 20% of the price.
Of course for jewish traveller, its the closest hotel from ohel leah synagogue and mikve. So he got my preference
Enjoy

Room Tip: ask for high floor
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
Ko Pha Ngan, Thailand
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2011

I stayed at The Bishop Lei for 10 nights whilst my apartment was being refurbished, just around the corner.

Let's start with the positives:

1. My room was impeccably clean. The housekeeping staff did a wonderful job making sure that everything was splck and span everyday. Everyday they cleaned up my stuff, ordered my room, and made me happy to return each night.

2. Everything worked well in the room. The air con was efficient and effective. There was always hot water when I needed it. The shower worked well.

3. the hotel is well located for the mid-levels escalator, and Soho, it's a 15 min walk from Central, down the Escalator.

4. Excellent fast & free Wi-Fi. This is noted, and appreciated.

Now, for the drawbacks:

1. Customer service was dreadful. I have never stayed at a hotel with worse customer service than here. Staff on reception desk were simply dreadful. I felt like I was an intruder rather than a paying guest. Reception desk seemed to do their best to ignore me whilst waiting for my key. Surrounded by visitors from other parts of the world, I was embarrassed by the way that the staff treated international visitors to a Hong Kong hotel. They were ignored, left to wait, and not given the friendly welcome expected. I was also given the same treatment.

2. The rooms were incredibly small. Even by Hong Kong standards, the rooms at this hotel are shocking small. I took a Suite room in order to have some space, this just gave me the same space as a normal hotel room. If you want room to stand next to your bed then you will need more than the standard room, you should buy a suite room.

The hotel is expensive, yet it offers very little space. Much better spaces can be found elsewhere on Hong Kong Island for much less money. You can get much more space for the same, or less, money elsewhere in HK. Take other options, as the lack of space at Bishop Lei is horrendous.

The Bishop Lei can only be likened to a well cleaned, and maintained, youth hostel.

It does not give me pleasure to offer such a damning review of my neighbourhood hotel, but buyer beware!

Room Tip: A suite is the same as a normal hotel room, seriously, a 'standard' room in this hotel has n...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Marco_PoloHongKong

Travelers are raving about these Hong Kong hotels

Hull, UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2011

I stayed in the hotel twice, in March-April 2011 and September 2011. Overall, the experience was good. The view from the windows was amazing on both occasions, the rooms were very clean, although quite small, staff were polite and helpful.
During my stay in March/August I was pleasantly surprised when a woman cleaning my room had noticed that I used an extra blanket, rightly concluded that I was a bit cold at night, and brought an electric heater to my room without me even requesting it!
On both occasions there was a problem regarding the availability of non-smoking rooms. The first time I stayed in the hotel, I was placed in a smoking room (apparently, non-smoking rooms were not available). The smell was awful, and it was not possible to open the windows. When I complained, my room was sprayed with an air freshener, which was absolutely ineffective in eliminating the terrible smell. Fortunately, the next day a non-smoking room became available, so I could move there. During my second stay in the hotel when I requested a non-smoking room, a receptionist told me that I would have to wait for a few hours before a non-smoking room becomes available, which I was prepared to do. Interestingly, when five minutes later I asked a different person at the front desk about the availability of a non-smoking room, the answer was positive, so I could move into the room immediately.
My employer had paid for my stay in the hotel in advance, however when I was checking out, a receptionist told me that my stay had not been paid for and I had to pay. I insisted that the payment had already been made. After lengthly additional checks, the receptionist eventually admitted that he had made a mistake. My colleagues who checked out a few days before me had an identical experience, when they were requested to pay for their stay for the second time.
However, overall the experience of staying in Bishop Lei was positive and I recommend the hotel to other travellers. Just remember to ask on a non-smoking room if you don't smoke, and be persistent in your request!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
amsterdam area, the netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2011

Last year we stayed in this hotel during our first visit to Hongkong. Recently we visited Hongkong again and we went back to this place for several reasons. The hotel is situated close to the escalator so that one can go easliy by foot to the ifc area passing by attractive streets with lots of restaurants and interesting shops. The hotel itself offers rather small rooms but our suite with harbourview was comfortable enough and the view from our suite was awesome but to speak of harbourview...? The hotel is well organised but the staff is at a distance, polite tough, efficient as well, but not really friendly. The hotel is rather basic, functional might be a better word, but you'll find anything you need. The hotel offers a free of charge busconnection to and from ifc airport check in and train service

Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank verwoord
Moncton, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2011

The rooms are small but normal by Hong Kong standards; the views to the harbourside are incredible, both day and night. The location is perfect near the mid-level escalators so coming home at night is a breeze. Take a swim in the pool while you visit - again the view is outstanding. Walking down to Queen's Road takes minutes and allows you to window shop enroute and view restaurant menus too. Wireless internet is simple and reliable. Would definitely recommend this hotel to friends.

Room Tip: Ask for harbour view on a high floor
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends