“Wonderful, best hotel in HK!”

InterContinental Hong Kong
Ranked #12 of 723 Hotels in Hong Kong
Reviewed January 13, 2009

Fantastic hotel... despite its size, still managed to make us feel special which was perfect for kickstarting our honeymoon.

The duty manager met us from the airport transfer arranged through the hotel (definitely worth doing, so nice to get straight into a cool car after a long flight, no hanging around for cabs/trams etc)... and took us to our harbourview junior suite, which was laid out with champagne and strawberries with dipping chocolate, to celebrate our wedding. Lovely touch!

The bathroom is fabulous and includes a steam room within the shower cubicle, together with jacuzzi bath. The beds are SO comfortable.

Breakfast selection is very comprehensive. We ate at the Steak House which is good if a little OTT (12 different knives to choose from with which to cut your steak, 12 types of salt... etc, all presented and introduced by staff - charming but just a bit much for us personally!). The food is very good though.

Would highly recommend, but make sure you book a harbour view room; the views absolutely make it!

1  Thank MrsPapillon

Reviewed January 3, 2009

We booked this hotel because of its rating on Trip Advisor. We were a little nervous about this as our first choice had been to stay on HK Island at the Four Seasons or Mandarin Oriental. However it did not disappoint.

Admittedly, at first we liked the hotel well enough but were not raving about it like the Trip Advisor reviewers. However over the course of the next 2 days it really grew on us. You cannot but help being charmed by the amazing sevice and attentiveness of the staff:

* Always greeting you, calling the lift for you, anticipating your every need at meal times
* Checking when you would like your room cleaned
* Finding and returning the scarf I did not even realize I had lost
* Concierge gives great advice and could not be more helpful - booking tickets to Macau, organising a private tour of the island
* Room service is FAST and good quality - our early morning tea order arrived in less than 10 minutes
* AMAZING food - fantastic buffet for breakfast and dinner and the most delicious, healthy spirulina juices every morning. Fantastic presentation of all the food and a huge variety of deserts, cakes and pastries at every meal
* Fantastic lobby service - worth having tea or early evening drinks here
* An added bonus for UK travellers - a direct English Sky News feed and English newspapers
* The managers are very visible in looking after the guests and the staff and the fact everyone seems so happy to work here makes your stay even better

Basically, you just can't help but fall in love with the place and the excellent staff. It grows on you the longer your stay.

5  Thank SingaporeSpin
Reviewed December 29, 2008

I booked this hotel based on the reviews from this website, and it was definitely the right choice! I booked a room for three people (paid 600 HK dollars extra for the third person), and when I checked in, I was told that I was supposed to request a cot online when I booked the room. I said I didn't realize that I had to pre-book a cot and that we needed a cot because we didn't want to sleep in a room with two queen or full-sized beds. The check-in desk informed me that the hotel was totally booked and most of the cots were spoken for because of the holidays. I insisted on waiting, and after a few minutes, they led us up to our room and soon thereafter a butler showed up with our cot. Other than this small hiccup which was taken care of right away, we had a fabulous stay at this hotel. The room (deluxe harborview) had an amazing view of hong kong. The room itself was very comfortable and large by hong kong hotel room standards. The bathroom is huge and really nice! We got welcome tea as soon as we arrived, which is also a nice touch. The only odd thing is that we did not get turndown service but it may have been because we only left the room for about 2 hours in the evening for dinner and the do not disturb sign was on before we left for dinner. The hotel lobby is really beautiful and the view from the lobby lounge is really breathtaking. We had dinner at a restaurant called the Prince Restaurant near the hotel, which a friend recommended, but I wish we had stayed at the hotel because they have tons of restaurant options which seemed popular. I would try the Harborview buffet, Nobu or Spoon (alain ducasse). The drinks in the lobby lounge are a bit pricey, but in line with a 5-star hotel. For the price (~$500), this was a great option!

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with family
3  Thank newyorker639
Reviewed December 23, 2008

Stayed here for 4 nights in November.. great location and the staff were warm and friendly.. great views from bedrom!.
One of the most comfy beds i have stayed in! Does anyone know who makes them?

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank buca1uk
Reviewed December 22, 2008

I can only agree with most other reviewers - a top hotel, perfect location, first class service and a great range of restaurants. I would just offer two tips from our experience. Firstly, the extra for a harbour view is well worth while. Secondly, the extra for the "Executive Club" probably isn't. This is a mezzanine area offering breakfast, evening cocktails and newspapers etc included in the price. It's OK but probably not worth the price.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled on business
3  Thank Rover10
Reviewed December 10, 2008

I booked my stay through AmEx Platinum Fine Hotels which brings a number of benefits including room upgrades, free breakfast, late check out etc. I travelled throughout Asia on the program and got upgraded to a suite in every hotel.
Before I arrived at the InterContinental I checked the room availability and saw that they had rooms and suites available at every level so I was looking forward to getting another nice upgrade when I checked in.
Instead they gave me a very ordinary, non-harbour facing room and when I questioned the check in clerk, he offered to give me a harbour view room for an additional HK$600 per night, a not so generous offer that I declined.
Other than the sour start the hotel did a fine job. The staff were courteous and helpful, the food was good etc. The harbour view from the lobby (and harbour facing rooms!) is unbelievably spectacular.
I few small quibbles. Charging over $20 per day for internet access when you charge over $400 per night for the room seems cheesey, when even $100 per night motels offer free internet access. Also there was no make up room card in the room and my room was never cleaned before noon on ech day of my stay.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled on business
2  Thank Dopanijoso
Reviewed December 7, 2008

Just stayed here for 3 nights in a deluxe harbour view room as a stop off before travelling on to Australia. Exactly as everyone on here says, it's a wonderful hotel and the location is second to none. Ok, you're not in Hong Kong itself, but the Star Ferry terminal is about a 5 minute walk from the hotel and the trip across the river costs HK$2.20 (about 20p in UK money!).

All public transport in HK is efficient. Leaves on time, is very reasonable and very reliable. Excellent way to travel around.

Suggested trips - take the funicular train up to the Peak (or take a bus from the Star Ferry terminal in HK) - have a walk round the Chinese parts of HK and see the markets - take the hydrofoil to Macau and visit the Casinos - go to Landau Island and visit the Po Sin Monastery and the giant Buddha - 8pm light show viewed best from the Avenue of the Stars right outside the hotel. The list is endless....

Back to the hotel.....great service, friendly and polite staff. Great breakfast buffet in the Waterside restaurant. Lifts very quick - never had to wait long. Airport transfer service very easy, and although more expensive than the public transport option it made the journey very easy.

If I had to criticise one thing it's the lack of bathroom and toilet door locks. Fine if you're with someone close but not good otherwise!

If you're going to Hong Kong - stay at the Intercontinental. Nothing else comes close.

1  Thank CheshireNick