“Best city view in the world” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of InterContinental Hong Kong

InterContinental Hong Kong
Ranked #13 of 713 Hotels in Hong Kong
SF bay area
“Best city view in the world”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2014

We stayed in one of the harbor side rooms for Chinese New Years. The room had an unobstructed view across the harbor at the Hong Kong skyline - the best city view I've ever seen, and I generally look for rooms with spectacular views. The room was large, comfortable and in perfect shape. Staff was extremely friendly and helpful. We only ate breakfast at the hotel, but it was excellent. No complaints of any sort. The only downside is that it is expensive - especially on new-years, but given the location and quality of the hotel, the price is completely reasonable.

Room Tip: The harbor view rooms are worth the (substantial) extra price.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank CohenTheBarbarian

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (933)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
서울, 대한민국
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2014

Last summer, I booked the harbour view room(with extra bed) one month ago to celebrate mom's birthday and her first Hongkong trip.

The staff of HKTB(The Hong Kong Tourism Board) recommended InterContinental Hongkong to me because of its great view.

When my family got the hotel after tiring flight, the staff in the front desk suggested me to join the membership for the upgrade instead of giving the room key. While I was asking mom's opinion(which took only few min), the staff in the front desk told me "there is no room for you any more, you have to wait more than 1~2 hours". We felt something wrong, so mom complained it in Mandarin.

What's worse was everyone in the front desk pretended they didn't understand Mandarin, even the manager too! Excuse me, WE WERE IN HONGKONG!

After unpleasant 30 mins of complains, we finally entered the room where wasn't ready for 3 people. My family had to wait another hour in the room for the setting.

I booked such a horrible hotel as her birthday gift, I felt terrible to my mom!

So if you want to enjoy the night view, just have a walk through Avenue of Stars and stay in the other hotel rather than InterContinental Hongkong.

Room Tip: Don't listen to the suggestion from the front desk about the membership or upgrade, you and your...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank TeresaJung
ICHongKong, Manager at InterContinental Hong Kong, responded to this review, March 17, 2014
Thank you for taking time to share feedback regarding your stay at our hotel in June 2013. We are so sorry to learn of your unfortunate experience when checking-in for this family trip to celebrate your mother’s birthday at our hotel. We sincerely apologise for the negative service experience, as well as our operational short-comings. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you and your family back to our hotel so that we can make-up for this unpleasant experience during your June 2013 stay. Please e-mail us at hongkong@ihg.com with your contact details, so that we can contact you directly. Again, please accept our sincere apologies.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2014

Had the opportunity to stay for CNY in the hotel and I must say, this hotel really impressed me.

The service was nearly perfect from the moment the taxi stopped in front of the hotel up to my departure.

The hotel is located in TST, directly on the harbour, on the waterfront surrounded by the "Avenue Of Stars". TST Station is a short walk as well downtown TST. StarFerry to Kowloon is 10 minutes easy walk. Kowloon Station for Airport Express is a short taxi ride (but you have to be careful about the route they take. They tried the long route for me).

Reception during check in was very attentive and, when I asked for a room on a higher floor, they instantly checked and clearly explained the options. There was a room available, but not ready at the early time I arrived (which hotel let's you check in at 10am for the follwing day?) and with city view instead of harbour view. I decided to trade harbour view with higher floor and more silence, as I thought during check in, I'd appreciate that. Couldn't have been more wrong. But still, my decision. As the room was not ready, went instantly to work. After work picking up key card at the reception I was told, that the room is ready. My luggage was already placed in the room.

The room was very spacious as well as the bathroom. The bathroom had a separate and large shower (good water pressure, really hot water) and an impressive tub, sufficient for two. There was a black hair down in the tub visible, which was the only spot. As I did not plan to use the tub and I could imagine some people would need a help to leave the tub again I didn't further think about this. The restroom, a separate room to the bathroom, was very small. It took some logistical effort with moving in the restroom to be able to close the door.

The view from the room was to the side directly onto a construction side beside the hotel. The noise insulation of the room was so brilliant, that construction works were noticeable, allthough not very loud. The missing of background noice (except water flow from neighboring room, which was pretty loud), allowed the construction works to become disturbing in early morning. I would probably not have had this with lower floor and harbour view.

After dinner coming back to the room, housekeeping had been there, cleaning all again (not the hair from tub, which stayed there until I left) and preping the room for the night (closing curtains, switching lights on, slippers in front of the bed, all the luxury details you do not expect in a business hotel).

The breakfast offered everything you could imagine and I was still aksed every morning, if I would like something not found on the buffet. As I could not imagine anything I did not find, I happily waived this every morning. But I must say, I appreciated the breakfast beeing in the room rate. The price on the menu for breakfast was really impressive.

Before departure I noticed, that my suitcase was damaged by the airline inbound in such a way, I could not close it. It was CNY, so no chance to get hold of a new one. Asking the reception for options they advised me, to relay and enjoy the day until departure and they would take care of it. They even asked, if I would allow them to repack in another bag they have as spares in case they could not fix it, or if I would like to do it on my own. They needed not to, because they managed to fix the suitcase temporarily, so that I could fly home (airline back home replaced the suitcase). Did not look nice, but worked.

I could continue describing more features from the hotel and their service, the live music in the bar in the evening, the helpful staff regardless if you asked for advices, reservations, a taxi or or or....

If I ever come back to HK and I get a decent package price, I would always come back to this hotel.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Tanteju5
Madison, Wisconsin, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2014

The Intercontinental Hong Kong sits right on the Harbor and the Avenue of Stars. It's also ideally situated for a quick 5 minute walk to the Star Ferry. Get a harbor view room - well worth the price. You can watch the laser light show every night at 8pm from the comfort of your room. The hotel is also just a 2 minute walk from an underground tunnel system to link you to the Peninsula and other access points such as Nathan Dr. Think of it as the 'Magnificent Mile" of Hong Kong! I have pictures and more at osterhuh.com

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank osterhuh
japan
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2014

Building is so old, water drainage is not good enough in bath room.

Staff quality got lower a lot. In order to rationalize service, they are unflexible, I couldn't satisfy at all, service level is below 3-star hotel standard. It is dissapointed.

• Stayed March 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank niwaka_jetsetter
ICHongKong, Manager at InterContinental Hong Kong, responded to this review, March 9, 2014
We appreciate your feedback following your recent stay with us. We sincerely regret that our hotel did not live up to your high expectations. We have shared your comments with our management team and consequently with the key staff you encountered during your stay. Through our ongoing employee training, we continue to coach our team to be more flexible in meeting and trying to exceed our guests’ needs. We sincerely hope to have the opportunity to serve you better on a future visit. As such, please do not hesitate to contact us at hongkong@ihg.com so we can assist with the arrangements for your next stay.
Redhill, Surrey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2014

Where do I start with this review? I love this hotel - in fact I adore it. We were treated like VIPs from the moment we arrived to the moment we left. As you pull up to the Intercontinental, you can already tell that you've picked a good hotel. The beautiful fountain in the centre of the forecourt is surrounded by luxury cars from Bentleys to Lamborghinis. We arrived in a standard Hong Kong taxi and yet the welcome from the doorman was just as warm and enthusiastic as the welcome that was extended to our (clearly much wealthier) counterparts.

At the check-in desk we were a bit confused. Being British, we tried to queue but found ourselves pushed out of the way by Chinese mainlanders. Within a couple of minutes, a member of staff had spotted that we weren't having much luck and came over to help us. He started up a computer that wasn't being used and checked us in straight away. He ran through the details of our booking and confirmed that we had been upgraded from a Deluxe Harbour View Room to a Junior Suite as guaranteed by my husband’s gold ambassador membership. But there was a problem. My husband usually stays at IHG hotels on business and travels alone. He smokes and this was noted on their system so they gave us smoking room. Great service but I do not smoke and hate the smell! It was entirely our fault for not specifying a non-smoking room. Keith was so apologetic. He tried to find us a non-smoking Junior Suite but none were available. He offered to have the room treated while we had a complimentary drink in the lobby. We agreed - but it didn't end there. Keith gave us complimentary breakfast for the whole of our stay by way of an apology. Wow!

After we had our complimentary drink, Keith found us and showed us to our room. I really like that we were shown to our room by the same member of staff that had checked us in earlier. It really made the service feel personal. The room was absolutely stunning. The sun was just setting at the time that we arrived and the view across the harbour was breath-taking. The Junior Suite includes a lounge area with sofa, armchair and coffee table set in front of a huge window. The bed area has its own (even bigger) window with an equally good view of the Hong Kong skyline. The separate bathroom is spacious with a great big bath, steam room shower, double sinks and plenty of mirrors. My only complaint about the room was the shower head itself. It was a very standard fitting. Why go to the expense of adding a steam room feature to a shower cubicle but leave the shower head as it is? I would recommend that they put in some good rain heads there instead.

The food and drink options here are vast however, we only ate at Harbourside, Nobu and the lobby. Breakfasts at Harbourside are absolutely wonderful. The range is extensive and the quality of ingredients is abundantly clear for the look, smell and taste of it. If you’re unsure about booking breakfast with your stay, I recommend that you do it. You won’t regret your decision. The lobby also offers some really excellent snacks and light lunches. We had some amazing burgers there. Both restaurants make the very most of the skyline view so the setting and the ambience is always excellent. I think that Nobu went over our heads a bit to be honest. We love fine dining and we’re not averse to something that is a little unusual but we both found that the some of dishes just work. There’s also Yan Toh Heen, Spoon and the Steak House which are all Michelin starred. Unfortunately we didn't have enough time to try them all out – but that is quite some selection!

The pool area at the hotel is a wonderful, tranquil oasis in a bustling city. The view from the infinity Jacuzzi is just amazing but you might struggle to get a place in there. We found that the Asian hotel guests were up extremely early and sometimes occupied that area for the whole day. The main pool is still lovely though and we found the service around the pool to be very friendly and attentive.

All in all this hotel is in a class of its own and is quite simply the best hotel that I've had the pleasure of staying in. I've always loved Hong Kong but now I have a reason to love it even more. I can’t wait to go back!

P.S. On our way home from Asia we stopped at the Intercontinental for one more night in an Executive Suite. The service was just as perfect and the Executive Suite was to die for!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mslouisebrain
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2014

i stayed here for 4 nights with my husband for our anniversary in February. We stayed in a junior suite which was very good. We had views over the harbour & lots of space. The service was great all over the hotel, however it is very expensive to eat or drink anywhere in the hotel. Travel across the road to the other side of the main road & you will find lots of restaurants down alleyways.

Room Tip: Harbour view
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple