“Its all about the VIEW!”

InterContinental Hong Kong
Ranked #13 of 729 Hotels in Hong Kong
Reviewed June 12, 2013

We were totally exhausted from all that walking, boat riding, and playing hide & seek with the rain clouds that day. T'was already a 10 hour day for us! YET! We still wanted to enjoy the Hong Kong skyline & light show at the Avenue of Stars! Minus the crowd & chaos outside!

And so, we headed towards intercon :D & Boy! Were we glad we did it!

The receptionist was super helpful in briefing us on the 3 dining areas with a view, and helped us make our choice on the lobby lounge. Just FYI - there's Nobu (upper floor), Lobby Lounge (GF) and the hotel café (LG).

The level in which the lounge was located, plus the HUGE glass panels brought the entire skyline alive (was like in a 3D movie)! Our experience was well complemented by the friendly yet courteous service, excellent drinks, tapas and live music.

We kinda felt bad for dressing up like typical tourists in such a nice setting, but the staff made us feel right at home!

Love the view, the service, the quality of food & drinks! A must-do in Hong Kong if you're looking to personalise your romantic view of Hong Kong's skyline! :D

Bravo!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (4,238)

Reviewed June 11, 2013

Stay & Location: Why even bother to review this hotel? Obviously it's great. But the thing is many five star hotels get it wrong too. If you get a bad experience at this hotel you are either extremely spoiled or extremely unlucky. Anyways we stayed two nights. Most spectacular location of any hotel I've ever stayed at - at least in a big city.

Room: Twin bed deluxe room (1715) on the 17th floor with Kowloon view. Room is quite spacious with a sort of separate wardrobe. You can tell it's not a new hotel but the decor has been done in very good taste so it doesn't seem as old as it is. The AC noise in our room at least was a bit on the high side.

Amenities: Everything you need and an extremely well stocked minibar. Possible to connect Iphone to a Bose sound system.
Cleanliness: Spotless in room. I was a little disappointed though when I visited the lobby restroom (left side when entering the hotel). I expected it to be spotless - unfortunately it was not.
Service: Smooth operator! From check-in to check-out this is a well oiled machine that operates flawlessly with attention and constant professionalism.

Food: The breakfast buffet at the Harbourside Restaurant is the best breakfast buffet I have ever had. We also ate at the Steakhouse wine & grill restaurant which deserves its own review.

Facility: Everything about this hotel is just done with such elegance, good taste and sense of detail. The lobby must be one of the most spectacular in the world with the 180 degree view of Hong Kong Island. Both the pool and fitness/spa are very nice. I didn't try the spa but it looked like it was the same standard as the rest of the facilities. At the pool there is a very nice infinity jacuzzi with harbour view. Obviously this is not a new hotel and you can tell by the interior which is not contemporary. But it's done with good taste so it doesn't seem too old.

Improvements/Suggestions: Improve Internet speed. I recorded 1.7/0.5 Mbit. This is not sufficient for a hotel at this level. They should have a 20/20 Mbit connection. As priority gold member we didn't have to pay for Internet which unfortunately is standard at IHG hotels. Browser login a small drawback but only had to be done once. The AC noise in the room could be improved. It's hard to say if it was a top floor issue or just because it's an old system. I found it a bit annoying that I couldn't turn on the light in the bathroom when entering from the right side through the wardrobe.

Overall: This hotel is my future reference in city luxury hotels in terms of service. The hotel is so big that you don't get a personal feel. And it's also quite busy, so don't come here to relax but rather to enjoy the fantastic view of Hong Kong Island and feel the pulse of Hong Kong. Despite this every encounter you have with the staff is just a pleasure; professionalism with a smile. The hotel is a textbook example on how to manage service at a large hotel. I'm impressed.

Room Tip: Harbour view if you can afford!
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank casperdenmark
Reviewed June 8, 2013

The lobby along at the Intercontinental makes it worth the booking. I have visited this hotel several times over the years and always enjoyed my experience and top notch service. Yes, there are other hotels right in the area, but if you are looking for a treat [and a great view] book here.

Room Tip: Go for harbour view.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed June 8, 2013

This was my second stay at the Intercontinental, this time for a series of meetings and a conference in the hotel. From a business viewpoint the hotel was perfect, with facilities, equipment, rooms and meals all being provide seamlessly and in a high quality manner. My accommodation was excellent and the hotel clearly did a bit of research on me to add some person
Neal touches. This was very impressive in a large hotel. Then came the event that was remarkable. I needed to get to the airport immediately after my last business engagement and did not have much time to spare. So I booked a car through the hotel. On the way to the airport we were side swiped by a truck, leaving us stuck in the fast lane on one of those long sweeping bridges on the highway to the airport. The driver and hotel swung into action and I was in a replacement car to the airport within 20 minutes. The hotel rang me as I checked in to ensure I was ok and had made my plane. They also chose to refund my transfer for the inconvenience which they had not caused. This was followed up be email. Great service shines through when adversity strikes! Well done to the staff of the Intercontinental!,

Room Tip: Harbour side views are excellent but not needed to be happy.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank gaapcon
Reviewed June 7, 2013

I travel often and usually try to hotel hop for each visit to a city. In Hong Kong I end up being drawn to InterContinental Hotel. They have great rooms, pretty awesome dim sum in the hotel, a good location, and beautiful views. It is close to the ferry so you have access to all of Hong Kong and the service and knowledge of the staff is good.

Room Tip: Ask to add Club access to regular rooms. Usually can add for a charge and have access to a beautifu...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed May 31, 2013

Everything was just what we have come to expect from this impeccable hotel - consistently delivered with friendly efficiency. From the moment we arrived we were recognised and welcomed.

Highlights on this particular stay were the warm outdoor pool (my nine year old son loved the underwater music!) and the infinity jacuzzi which has three different water temperature zones and views of over the harbour.

We always look forward to our hour with William, the resident TaiChi Master, and it is well worth getting up at 6.30am for this signature dawn experience.

Thanks ICHK for another memorable, first rate stay experience

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank dklondon
Reviewed May 31, 2013

We stayed here for 6 nights in May following a week in Singapore.

We booked the club lounge, and on arrival at reception were whisked up to the club floor to check-in. The staff on the club floor are wonderful. They checked us in while we enjoyed canapes and champagne (it was around 7pm). We were shown to our room which had a harbour view - wow!

Our deluxe room had a full sized window view across the harbour to Hong Kong island. We enjoyed watching the 8pm light show from our room and left the curtains open all night to see the skyline and the various boats passing through.

In the club lounge a wonderful breakfast selection is included. The staff remeber your name and make you feel really welcome. There is a buffet and other hot dishes can be ordered - my favourite was eggs benedict with smoked salmon. Drinks are topped up regularly.

Afternoon tea is also included in the club lounge. We enjoyed a wide selection of savouries and pastries from the buffet - help yourself to as much as you like! In the evening, cocktails, champange (Perrie Jouet) and other drinks flow freely. There are delicious canapes (hot and cold) to choose from.

We didn't need to eat anywhere else and the quality nad variety of food was superb.
The club lounge staff arranged a trip on the Aqua Luna junk for us and recommended other things to do. They are extremely helpful and professional.

Housekeeping kept our room clean and well stocked, and observed the do not disturb sign (which oftern doesn't happen!). The pool staff were extremely friendly (despite the dull and cool weather) and made sure we had drinks and lovely fluffy towels. There was some building work going on nearby but it really doesn't matter, teh view from the infinity hot tubs is still great!

The location was the big thing for us. We had the perfect view of the harbour, the avenue of stars out front gave another perspective, the Star Ferry is a short walk away, there is a shopping mall next door and a high end shopping complex across the road. Nathan road is also just across the road for a different shopping experience!

A cockatil in the main bar is also recommended. I had a Hong Kong Skyscraper cocktail that stood on a coaster with a picture of the skyline that lit up in various colours! The veiw from the bar is also to die for.

This was our first time in Hong Kong and we would definitely stay in the Intercontinental next time.

Room Tip: harbour view room is a MUST. Club floor if you can afford it is WONDERFUL
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple