“elegant with excellent service”

Ranked #13 of 718 Hotels in Hong Kong
CA
“elegant with excellent service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2011

The Langham claims European elegance and I think it lives up to it with a rich and tasteful feel throughout. This was my 4th or 5th time at The Langham and the service was better than ever. Everyone went out of their way to call me by name and make sure everything was to my complete satisfaction. Housekeeping, including turn-down service, is very accommodating. The concierge are very helpful and knowledgeable. Restaurant wait staff are very attentive.

Rooms are very nicely furnished, comfortable, and well lit. Most rooms I've seen have bow windows with sitting area. For the most part there is no view to speak of, maybe a peak of the Harbor if position yourself just right at the window.

Bathrooms are very nice marble with separate tub and shower, the nicest amenity kits and the biggest thickest towels.

One of my favorite things is the fragrance of flowers that permeates the lobby.

There is a somewhat small but well equipped gym/fitness center and nice rooftop outdoor pool with very relaxing seating areas.

Breakfast buffet is excellent.

If you are not happy with anything, speak up. I'm confident it will be made right.

Room Tip: Book the Deluxe Room and ask for quiet room location above lower-traffic Peking Road. If you happe...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank MMR1

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (677)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Vietnamese first
singapore
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2011

Once we arrived about 5pm, the porter was helpful with our luggage and ask for our passport but the Concierge staff was showing an extremely rude gesture to porter and us -should have look at his name tag. Another staff saw it and she walk over and check us in very very quickly. Management is not warm, lack of sincerity. What a disappointing, if not totally annoying experience !!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank yv0nnet
DeanDimtriou, Manager at The Langham, Hong Kong, responded to this review, September 14, 2011
To Whom it May Concern,

Thank you very much for taking the time in sharing your feedback in relation to your experience with us.

It is with great concern that I noted the shortcomings you experienced during your check-in experience with us. The nature of your feedback is obviously very concerning to us, and I would like to personally discuss this matter further with you in order to gain further clarification on your experience as this is the first time we have received feedback of this nature.

I am however most grateful to you for bringing this incident to our attention as it is only through constructive criticism such as yours that we are able to constantly monitor and improve our hotel operation more closely. The Langham Hong Kong prides itself on exceeding our guests’ expectations through exceptional customer service and I sincerely apologise, as it seems we obviously did not achieve this goal during your arrival experience with us.

Despite your experience, I do hope that we will have the opportunity in the future to extend to you the true Langham service that we are renowned for and I do look forward from hearing from you soon.

Yours Sincerely,

Dean Dimitriou
Executive Assistant Manager - Rooms
Dean.Dimitriou@langhamhotels.com
Hackettstown, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2011

After seven years of marriage, I was finally to accompany my husband on his business trip to Hong Kong and China. He has been traveling to Asia for the past 25years and because this would be my first trip with him to Hong Kong, he allowed me to pick the hotel. He had two parameters for me to follow:  it had to cost less then $350usd per night and it had to be four stars or higher. He told me about the previous hotels where he stayed and I went into research mode (my husband could stay in a barn if breakfast is included, I, on the other hand, am a typical New Yorker). After finding Trip Advisor and reading many, many reviews and also the Fodor's books, I decided on the Langham Hotel on Peking Road.
We arrived about 11pm Sunday night. The hotel sent a car for us (it turned out to be a Bemz with a very talkative driver. He tried to play tour guide after our 18hr flight and it was just too much). We arrived to a beautiful lobby, got checked in, were escorted to our room and shortly, our bags arrived. The room had a king size bed, a desk, a flat screen TV and to our surprise, a bureau (chest of drawers) and another short bureau (a whole other set of drawers), plus closet space that actually allowed my husband room to hang his clothes for a change. The bathroom had a separate shower and bath and nice amenities that were restocked everyday. We also had a nice table for two in the room (where local fruit was offered daily) and above our mini bar, was an electric teapot where three different types of tea were available all day (replenished with turndown service). We would have liked more fridge room as the hotel's restaurants were very pricey (like a good hotel in NY!), but we soon learned to buy at Starbucks and squeeze in the few items that needed refrigeration.
Housekeeping was relentless in getting into the room, so since it was a pleasure trip for me, I simply adjusted my schedule to save frustration on either of our parts. I felt safe, welcomed and accommodated at this hotel as I had an eye infection my second day there. The hotel sent a doctor to my room (which was later covered by my health insurance) and then the manager called to see how the visit went and if I needed anything else. He directed my husband to a pharmacy for some feminine hygiene stuff for me and told him how to make the request (see the pharmacist, no one else will know what you mean!).
The various people at the concierge were either brusque or hurried. I took this as a cultural thing and when I stood my ground and insisted on better directions (I was a woman traveling alone 90% of the time), they calmed down and gave me extra assurances. Many tours were booked through the hotel and after three days of this, I was to book them myself. We also ate at every restaurant in the hotel and then ventured out, with help of my husband's business connections or the aforementioned Fodor's book.
The Langham Hotel made my first impression of Hong Kong memorable, with ideal location to ferry and MTR; dining options (too tired to walk, room service was excellent); shopping everywhere you looked and Nathan Road right down the block. The only time we took taxis was to find a restaurant I had read about or a colleague recommended. I felt like I received five-star service even though it took them two days to get the DVD in the room to work. Our room had no view, but it was quiet at night and let in the sunlight when I was there alone in the late afternoons. I would say that if you are from a big city, you will "get" the vibe at this Langham. If you are looking for more space, pay to get upgraded, but ask to be shown the room first; or stay elsewhere where they can do more hand holding for you.

Room Tip: Dining in Hong Kong is like dining in NYC; seek out the places outside of your hotel as much as you...
  • Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Montreal
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2011

We stayed at the langham because it was one of the few that could confirm connecting rooms for us and our kids. We took the tranportation service from the airport and we recommend it. Vey nice people were waiting for us at the airport with fresh drinks and a superb luxury van. Wehn we arrived at the hotel they greeted us perfectly and brought us directly to our room where the papers were signed and credit card taken. Very personalized and classy. No waiting at the front desk.
The hotel and the rooms are splendid. There unfortunately no views on the water but the hotel is well located close to everything.
The restaurants in the hotel are amazing! The chinese restaurant is highly rated by MIchelin and deserves its stars. It is the best chinese food we ever had.
There is also a buffet restaurant that serves breakfast. The breakfast was absolutely delicious and they had gluten free bread for me (not common in asia). The dinner buffet was out of this world!
We enjoyed this hotel and would stay there again.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank mikemtl
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2011

We have just returned from our Honeymoon to Bali and stayed in The Langham for 3 nights. The Grand Langham room was the poshest hotel room we have stayed in; bed was huge, very spacious room, fabulous bathroom with a huge bath to indulge in.
The location is perfect for all the tourist visits. The breakfast was fabulous, with any combination you would choose. We ate in the New York Deli one day which was just great, I have been to New York many times and the menu and food hits the right spot!
The pool is small and you need to follow the shadows round to sunbathe, but it it s rooftop facility so obviously has space challenges. In summary, I would describe this hotel as opulant and we will definitely have a return visit!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Sue B
Shenzhen, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2011

We stayed here in two rooms with our four children during chinese new year and it was a great stay. The chinese hew years parade goes right by the hotel so it was a perfect place to stay. The staff was very friendly and the dinner and breakfast buffets were wonderful The hotel is quite expensive but the location and service are great. Its a nice place for a splurge!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
rosebud
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2011

The Langham Hotel is very elegant, and situated in a great position for the Star Ferry
and Shopping. We stayed in a Grand Deluxe Room which is spacious in Hong Kong Standards, unfortunately the only views were of ugly buildings, but that is to be expected in H.K. The staff were helpful, and as a smoker I was able to have a smoking room.
The Bathroom is lovely with a Full size bath to relax in after a hard day at The Shops or Touring. I would recomend this Hotel and be happy to return

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple