“First Impression lasts...”

Ranked #9 of 718 Hotels in Hong Kong
Sydney, Australia
“First Impression lasts...”
Reviewed April 22, 2011

Went through Hongkong hotels religiously for nearly 6 months to find the right hotel as I was travelling with 2 children (7 and 10 yos) and my mother who's fussy about cleanliness and a bad knee (sounds like fun already !) Shortlisted the 2 Langham hotels (Mongkok and Tsim Sha Tsui) and chose the TST as we're more familiar with it (from previous visits ages ago) and also the special deal if you booked more than 45 days.

As we landed, we took the airport shuttle which went directly to the hotel. It was pretty good, though from the arrival hall to the bus pick up was a long walk (esp. for my mum), which we should realise would be the first lesson in a lot of walking when you visit HK.

The hotel was simple from outside but the inside was magnificent. The staff were also excellent. Every requests and questions were met excellently, from the Front staff, Concierges to the Housekeeping. Do not hesitate to ask for directories from the Concierges, we did and it made the trips easier!!

We were staying on the Club level for 5 nights (joint rooms) and did not regret it. The rooms were spacious, very clean. Mum and kids gave the thumbs up.Bathroom was the same. The only thing I noticed was the fittings like the taps were a bit worn down (from its original glory of gold), but they were maintained and we did not find it a bother/problem.

All in all, I would recommend this hotel to anyone. Its location is very handy, Harbourcity is just behind it, and Nathan Road is not far away either. Food is not a problem, there's plenty to choose from.

The MTR station exit is conveniently located across the road from the hotel. BUT, be aware that though one station has many exits, usually the main location of the trains will usually be quite a walk, don't expect to reach it once you enter one of the exits. It's quite a hassle, especially for my mother who has a bad knee. The distance to walk to and from, and also lack of escalators and limited elevators in some. Taxi is usually our mode of transport after a long day.

When we visited Mongkok, we saw the other Langham hotel (Langham Place), it was also a magnificent hotel, but the surrounding is less impressive and the number people on the streets, unbelievable! If you really like a crowded place, this one for you but I don't regret my choice, TST surrounding is better. Can't wait to go back....

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank girlstuckinsydney

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (713)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Vietnamese first
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed April 17, 2011

I've stayed at this hotel for many times in the past and had quite a few problems which I thought it would acceptable. After the trip with my family last week, I think it needs urgent improvement to stay on top of the chart.
1. The registration system: I've made a reservation directly via the hotel website. On the reservation system and the confirmation email, it indicates clearly about bed type in each room type. For example, "Grand Room Double Bed (Executive)" with the description of bed type as "Bed Types: Queen, King." But when I contacted the reservation personal, they said the bed type was "on-request." When I tried to explain about the confirmation email that I received, they only said it was the hotel policy that the bed type is first come first serve but they said they will inform everything to the front desk. When I actually checked in, the front desk staffs knew nothing about that.
2. The Concierge: Needs serious improvement on their manner and temper management. I would have to say I am not a demanding person since I've stayed in many 5-star hotels around the world and never had any negative feeling with any concierge before. But concierge staff at this hotel, especially the guy named "Paul" was showing an extremely rude gesture to my family member. When he was complained about it, the reaction from him was " OK! OK! I APOLOGISE!!!" which is not acceptable even from a 3-star concierge.

As a loyal customer of this hotel chain, even with many benefits from the loyalty program, I think I would consider staying somewhere else on my next trip to Hong Kong. There are plenty of choices to choose from, why bother having headache with the poor management hotel.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank CBangkok
kjh81, Manager at The Langham, Hong Kong, responded to this review, April 20, 2011
Thank you for posting your response on Tripadvisor and also taking the time to email us regarding your last stay. We were so very disappointed to read these comments and assure you this is not the legendary service we pride ourselves on offering.

We have sent you a private message in regards to this post and we look forward to your reply.

Once again, we apologise for all of the issues you had on your last stay and only hope you will allow us to restore your faith in our hotel and our team here upon your next visit to Hong Kong.
Keighley, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 11, 2011

We stayed here three years ago and were very impressed - this trip was just as good. They even remembered us - gace us the same upgraded room and automatically provided late check-out for our evening flight to Auckland at the end of our stay.

The location is brilliant, literally a few minutes walk to the Star Ferry with the harbour, loads of restaurants and a myriad of shops on all your doorstep.

The rooms are beautifully presented with fab toiletries and, in fact, a fabulous bathroom. We didn't have much of a view but who cares. There's a great American style cafe downstairs for when you arrive late after an overnight flight and just want some comfort food (the Rueben sandwich was very authentic) but there's plenty of local Chinese places close at hand.

We didn't pay for web access in our room but used the complimentary 30 free minutes a day in the business centre. Whenever we went there, it was empty and we were told to take our time and not hurry. The service is excellent and all the staff are very well trained. My only negative comment is that the bar is was very quiet and lacking in atmosphere.

Apart from that, it's luxury with easy transfers from the airport by train and free link bus.

Go on, spoil yourself, you'll love it. And remember to take a swim in the beautiful rooftop pool.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Doncaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 10, 2011

Can't really add to the previous reviews, quality hotel, quality service. Only disappointment for me was the business centre - consisted of only 1 PC and that was only available when the desk was manned.. Didn't detract however from the wonderful experience we had here.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
Reviewed April 4, 2011

Spent a week at the langham and the service was impecable. Clean rooms, good facilities and very helpful staff. Be careful if you stay on the 16th floor as it is a walk up from teh 15th (no elevator). Didn't bother me but it is something to note. The food is amazing. Even the business meeting snacks and meals were wonderful althought eh quantities waere a bit much. If you have ten at a meeting you only need to order food for five. You will have enough.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
Hackensack, NJ
Reviewed March 31, 2011

As soon as the taxi rolled up to the hotel, you were treated like royalty. The staff was very inviting. They took my bags immediately, walked me to a check in counter. And you can't forget their signature scent the moment they open the doors for you. It's intoxicating!! i even bought some at the gift shop to bring home! We booked a Langham room and it was beautiful! The beds are extremely comfortable and they layout and design is very nice.
Location is great! On one side, you have all the high end shops (Gucci, Prada, LV, etc) and strip malls but on the other end are the local shops that are less expensive. The subway is just across the street and there are plenty of restaurants and bars nearby. It is also within walking distance to Victoria Park, which gives you a commanding skyline view of Hong Kong.
One thing I regret not trying is their restaurant. I'm sure it's Michelin rating for a reason!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Sydney
Reviewed March 23, 2011

If you appreciate a "Good evening sir/madam" rather than "Hi" and " Have a nice day" then the Langam Hk may be for you. The door is opened for you and you enter a spotless foyer with sumptuous carpet and a huge urn of roses and lillies. The whole air is perfumed, and the staff beautifully dressed and groomed and quietly efficient. Instead of muzac, there is classical music. Welcome to the Langham. The rooms are a delight. Every comfort has been considered, whether for work or leisure. And there is a rare, well placed light for reading in bed. You will appreciate the bathroom amenities, the linen and towels, cupboard and drawer space and the level of service. My room was absolutely quiet.

The hotel is very conveniently located for upmarket shopping and restaurants, and the MTR subway entrance is across the road. Try it: it is simple to get to Central (on HK island) or any other part of HK. I found the Concierge staff to be helpful and obliging, especially as I had some unusual queries.

Any negative observations? I would have liked wi fi included. However, there was half an hour of free internet per day provided in the Business Centre, using hotel computers only.

The gym was well equipped, but for me, the rooftop outdoor pool too small for swimming.

If you wish to treat yourself (and why not) then feel confident that at the Langham, the putlay is well worth it. It is not just another hotel.

The Langham Place is also highly regarded, but after visiting Mong Kok, I realised that I would not have felt comfortable in that neighbourhood.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo